MSW volunteer experience and admission

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums but I've been browsing and there's a lot of useful information! 

I'll be applying to MSW programs in this upcoming application period and I'm worried about my amount of experience. My grades are pretty good and I have some good letters of rec accounted for already. I am a strong writer so I'm confident my admissions essays and personal statements will be of quality.  But I haven't done a lot of volunteering (looking to rectify that ASAP.) However, I have two and a half years of experience (three by the time I apply) working with kids in the daycare at a gym, and I plan on focusing on child and family concentrations for my degree. 

So I was wondering:

For everyone who has been accepted to MSW programs already, how much relevant experience did you have, and which schools did you get into? This will help ease some of my anxiety, lol.

(I've seen only one or two threads on the same topic and they weren't super recent. But if I missed one and this is repetitive then I apologize.) 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

18 hours ago, adorablepancreas said:

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums but I've been browsing and there's a lot of useful information! 

I'll be applying to MSW programs in this upcoming application period and I'm worried about my amount of experience. My grades are pretty good and I have some good letters of rec accounted for already. I am a strong writer so I'm confident my admissions essays and personal statements will be of quality.  But I haven't done a lot of volunteering (looking to rectify that ASAP.) However, I have two and a half years of experience (three by the time I apply) working with kids in the daycare at a gym, and I plan on focusing on child and family concentrations for my degree. 

So I was wondering:

For everyone who has been accepted to MSW programs already, how much relevant experience did you have, and which schools did you get into? This will help ease some of my anxiety, lol.

(I've seen only one or two threads on the same topic and they weren't super recent. But if I missed one and this is repetitive then I apologize.) 

Thanks in advance for your help! 

I think some volunteering will round you out. 

Honestly, I think it depends on the institution that you are applying to. If possible, attend information sessions for any schools that you are applying to (if not, e-mail admissions). I went to an info session for my hometown's MSW program and they required social work experience. The admission's officer said that if one didn't have experience (even at the volunteer level), then they should volunteer for at least 6 months some where and then apply. I attended University of Michigan's MSW info session and they said that anything remotely related could count as experience (ie. teaching, daycare). Obviously, the more experience, the better. I work at a domestic violence shelter and we have volunteers that work in the children's playroom. Maybe that is something that you could do in your town if it's possible.

As far as gauging if you will get in compared to others based on experience, there's no point. I know people that got rejected to MSW programs with more relevant experience than me, and others who had no experience get into MSW programs with a pretty good funding package. You won't know until you try! 

Best of luck to you! :)

• 2 weeks later...

It really depends a lot on the programs. The higher-ranked programs tend to be more forgiving of a lack of experience, but they often admit those students with little funding. The lower-ranked programs tend to be far more obsessed with experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently attending Hunter (Clinical - Health/Mental Health) and I was accepted into Fordham, Rutgers and Lehman as well, despite the fact that the volunteer experience that I had was unrelated to clinical work and was over 8 years ago.  Based on my personal experience, I think that it is definitely possible to get accepted into programs.  Having other strengths will go a long way, and I think that you cannot discount your work experience at all.  Experience counts, period, whether you were paid for it or not, and working with kids for 3 years should count for a lot, I would think.  Good luck!

• 3 months later...