Taking the GRE for someone else.

columbia09

Has anyone ever heard about people taking the GRE for other people ? Is that even possible anymore ? I would imagine with the photo that they take and send to schools that you would have to have an identical twin to get away with it. When I took the GRE, they only asked for my ID and they took a photo of me. Is that photo just used to make sure that you return on break as the same person or do they keep it on file and send them to schools with your score report ? Apparently my friend paid someone to take the GMAT for him and I know the GMAT has the same security procedures as the GRE so I want to know if he's BSing me 

When I took the GRE, they compared the photo on my ID to me. When I signed some paperwork or whatever it was, they compared the signature to that on my ID. I know they took a picture of me, but I've never heard of it being sent to schools. My guess is that the photo is kept on file for comparison purposes if someone decides to retake the test or take a different one. That way they can ensure that it is the same person every time. That's just a guess though.

Not really how one could get away with having someone else take the test for them. It's possible your friend is BSing you, but I'm not really sure what you would gain from that knowledge. From a personal perspective, he either lied to GMAC or he lied to you...either way, it's not exactly a class act.

I think this is a very bad idea and you should not pursue it. It is academically dishonest and I do not think a person that would cheat in this way should be part of the academic community. I hope you reconsider.

(Note: I'm not saying that the GRE is a good test at all. In fact, I think the GRE is a terrible test and it does not fairly assess candidates for graduate school success. However, I do not condone cheating as a way to circumvent the bad test. There are other ways to protest the use of GRE scores).

3 hours ago, marycaryne said:

When I took the GRE, they compared the photo on my ID to me. When I signed some paperwork or whatever it was, they compared the signature to that on my ID. I know they took a picture of me, but I've never heard of it being sent to schools. My guess is that the photo is kept on file for comparison purposes if someone decides to retake the test or take a different one. That way they can ensure that it is the same person every time. That's just a guess though.

Not really how one could get away with having someone else take the test for them. It's possible your friend is BSing you, but I'm not really sure what you would gain from that knowledge. From a personal perspective, he either lied to GMAC or he lied to you...either way, it's not exactly a class act.

I was told the photo is just to see that when you go on break you return as the same person lol. I don't think he's BSing because he scored in the 90th percentile and he's as dumb as nails. So I guess all one needs is a fake ID and I'm not going to lie, I would probably do what he did if I wasn't so afraid of getting caught. The GRE is horrible and a completely unfair way of comparing students for grad school. 

4 hours ago, columbia09 said:

I was told the photo is just to see that when you go on break you return as the same person lol. I don't think he's BSing because he scored in the 90th percentile and he's as dumb as nails. So I guess all one needs is a fake ID and I'm not going to lie, I would probably do what he did if I wasn't so afraid of getting caught. The GRE is horrible and a completely unfair way of comparing students for grad school. 

When I took the GRE in January, we were told that we had to leave our ID with the administrator when taking a break.

Honestly, this is a weird question. I'm not sure why someone would insist on knowing how one could cheat...followed by admitting you'd do it if you weren't afraid of getting caught. Politics of the test aside, it's just completely unethical.

Edited by marycaryne

4 hours ago, marycaryne said:

When I took the GRE in January, we were told that we had to leave our ID with the administrator when taking a break.

Honestly, this is a weird question. I'm not sure why someone would insist on knowing how one could cheat...followed by admitting you'd do it if you weren't afraid of getting caught. Politics of the test aside, it's just completely unethical.

I don't remember that so I guess either they do send that picture to schools or they keep it on file for when you retake the test. But this was from their website "

• If an institution that you have designated to receive your scores requests to see your photograph taken at the test center, ETS will send that photo or other information in ETS's files to that institution as necessary to detect or prevent unlawful activity and to protect the integrity of the GRE test."
Edited by columbia09