Getting back into GRE Prep - 3 months to go

feathy123

Hi All, 

BACKGROUND: 
I'm applying as an international student (Australian), and I've started a PhD before but had to leave it after my first year due to recover from an acute, but serious illness. (I've made a full recovery)

I'm eager to get back into chemistry. I miss it sooooo much. Specifically, computational/theoretical chemistry. My partner is from the USA and it's clear to us and my previous chemistry buddies/supervisor that it would be easier for my career and finances if I got into a top US university. (Assuming tuition +stipend paid vs. cost of partner visa in Australia; a better chance to create my own niche in my home country; also the added course work in American universities is enticing after a 3 year break working as a kindergarten teacher in Asia). 

In terms of my credentials: 3.7ish GPA (I think, I calc'd it a while ago but mostly A's); 8 publications and another under review; 5 conference presentations (international and domestic); should be able to get good recs. Probably going to apply to Caltech, Berkeley, UCLA and Harvard.

So the way I see it, I need to ace the GRE to get through the application process. I'm making another assumption: that I need to really stand out against the crowd more so than domestic students. GRE prep started off great but my dad became seriously ill and time got away from me. He's now in full time care and I'm spending a lot of time helping my mum clear out the house and also applying for jobs (I've just returned from employment overseas). I had originally planned to have 6 months to study for the GRE but I've lost 2 months due to the aforementioned family circumstances. I hope I don't sound bitter, I'm not, just eager to get my own life back on track. 

As an Australian I've never had to complete a test like this so I'm feeling a bit nervous and unsure of the process.  

QUESTIONS: 
I've had a look at the Magoosh advanced 3 month plan and it seems I have completed a fair bit of it already. Should I create my own plan or just stick to that plan but add in some extras such as NOVA and the Manhattan books?

What is a common number of practice essays to complete for someone fairly out of practice?

I think on last count I noticed I'd need to complete >4 essays a day to get through all the practice topics. I was thinking if I write 1 and plan another 2 per section everyday? Or is that overkill? 

Thanks so much everyone! This forum is such an invaluable resource. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally am using Magoosh Advanced plan + going through Manhattan + using everything I stumble upon for practice questions.

4 essays per day is crazy (and so are 2 per day). I would rather suggest to make sure you've written an essay (not just written, but mastered, killed it) on all of the big topics - government, education, environment, society. Group all the topics, and then just make sure you have a bank of ideas/examples/approaches for each one. I also find writing plans without actually writing an essay immensely helpful.