SAIS vs. Canadian Schools

jan25

Hi everyone,

I'm facing a "curse of plenty", as someone I recently met called it. I am choosing between Johns Hopkins' SAIS, University of Toronto's Munk School and Carleton's NPSIA. I am a Canadian and I hope to eventually settle in Canada, but I'm having trouble saying no to SAIS. I am very lucky to be in this situation, but I have a tough decision to make and I would really appreciate your input. I still haven't decided whether I would prefer to work for international multilaterals, NGOs or the Canadian government.

I have been a student and/or instructor at UofT for the past six years (I completed a bachelor of commerce and an MA in literature), and the program guarantees global summer internships. I have a very strong attachement to this city and school, and already built a strong network here. There is not much info on employment statistics, however, 

On the other hand, SAIS is arguably the top IR program in the world, and a year in Bologna sounds incredible. I received a decent amount of funding from the school, as well as external funding, so finances are not a major issue.

Are the career opportunities comparable at both schools? Do I have a disadvantage as a Canadian at SAIS?

I am still somewhat considering Carleton, but given my history at UofT, I am pretty sure that I would choose the latter if I decided to stay in Canada.

Thanks!

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but I believe the deadline to accept admission/scholarship money at SAIS has passed. I think the deadlines were May 2nd for admission and earlier in April for scholarship money.

Only someone with intimate knowledge of Canada could help you with whether UT would be a smart idea for staying in Canada. It's very hard to believe that SAIS would be looked down upon or close doors anywhere unless the culture in that area is "local or go home." Finances aren't an issue...I think it's a real loss to turn it down unless Canada doesn't like US schools for some weird Canadian reason.

• 3 months later...