Failed grad school. Am I a black sheep now?

Transfering

I ended my undergraduate with a 3.7 from a state university. Completed a voluntary thesis on a year-long research project, did some research before that as well, tutored on the side for the library in lower courses. I ambitiously went to study abroad afterward in Europe.

My first year went horribly, I passed maybe 50% of my classes and struggled with the system. The lectures I did not understand particularly well, the courses were structured differently, information was held in places I only found out later about from other students.

My second year I took a double helping of courses to catch up, I struggled more and didn't perform particularly great. I was starting to question myself and whether to be there.

After this, I spoke to my adviser about my options. I was told even foreign students are allowed unlimited time to finish the program. I decided to focus on a major exam coming up without any other courses (as I would fail out if I didn't pass it), then I took a semester off for family events and to reach a better state of mind.

My fourth year I came prepared with a balanced load for the semester and a lab position lined up as part of the program. However, my visa officer informed me by my renewal that I did not have unlimited time after all. I ended up with 6 months to show progress. However, due to my 3rd year lapse of activity, I had to repeat a major segment of lab work, and I was unable to complete that and sufficient additional progress in time. Now my visa is denied, and I must leave because of that.

My transcript looks awful, as the program weights 50% of the credits for the final exam/thesis, and coursework only amounts to 25% (which is what I have mostly done). I was extremely unhappy abroad, isolated from social contact, and struggled with the experience but was too stubborn to quit, and the program permitted me to stay. I feel I can perform better in a different environment, where I am not struggling as much with the system as I am with the coursework, and where I am not 1-2 semesters behind trying to catch up. I was on top of things during my undergraduate degree, but because of my failure here, I fear I will automatically fail any application.

Do I have a shot at any grad school in chemistry?

Do I have a shot at any grad school in a field related to chemistry?

Do I have a shot at a job?

Is there something I can do to bounce back from this so that I have a shot at one of the above? This can include courses elsewhere, a different sort of job, something to demonstrate that I can still be worthwhile. I am not expecting a top university of course. I would like to know whether my life still has some prospect of a career.

Thank you for your time.

What do you mean by your visa was denied after you couldn't show progress after 6 months? If you are already in the US, you cannot be denied a visa because you don't need a visa (visa is only for entrance to the US). It's not clear what to do next without knowing what the issue is, because depending on the problem, you may have to go to your international office or to your graduate department.

26 minutes ago, TakeruK said:

What do you mean by your visa was denied after you couldn't show progress after 6 months? If you are already in the US, you cannot be denied a visa because you don't need a visa (visa is only for entrance to the US). It's not clear what to do next without knowing what the issue is, because depending on the problem, you may have to go to your international office or to your graduate department.

I believe the OP was enrolled in a grad program in Europe and was denied the student visa needed to remain in Europe and complete the program. 

1 hour ago, Dostoprimechatel'nosti said:

I believe the OP was enrolled in a grad program in Europe and was denied the student visa needed to remain in Europe and complete the program. 

Yes this is the case. Problem is that 50% of my program's credits are weighted in the final exam and thesis, so by not having fully completed the program, my transcript looks empty for 4 years of time.

Oh okay, sorry for misunderstanding. When I read "study abroad in Europe", I thought you were referring to an exchange program where you did a year or a semester in Europe during your undergraduate degree, oops! 

You aren't a failure. A lot of people struggle with the adjustment to a PhD program, and I know from experience that moving to a new country (esp. when you don't speak the language or are familiar with the culture) can be difficult. 

You certainly have a shot at the alternatives you've listed. It might be worthwhile just trying to find a science job once you get back. A handful of people in my  worked in industry for a couple of years after they graduated - they got a clearer picture of what they wanted to do (and how a PhD would help them do that) then came back to grad school. A bit of industrial research experience is seen as a plus, and would help to compensate for the bad transcript from Europe. 

Are there any professors at your undergraduate institution whom you could talk to? Ask for their opinion on your transcript and how leaving a PhD program would affect your application to other grad schools. I can't really help you with the odds of getting in to a 2nd PhD program, though I imagine it would be difficult.

I personally think that OP need to take this time to rethink why OP wants to attend grad school, or getting into a PhD program. Even if the school permits any students to take "unlimited time to finish the program", does it sound realistic? Would any fellowship / PI supports any students and let the students take "forever" to complete his/her MS / PhD? To be successful in grad, we all need to prioritize tasks, and complete the important ones on time (if not ahead of time).

Although I do not know what the program was OP attending, based on the provided information, it seems that OP did very little of research during the first 3 years of grad school.

That being said, I think OP will have a shot at Chemistry programs that accept a lot of students (or currently under-enrolled), but those programs are probably neither from a top university, nor a top-tier program (in general). "Do I have a shot at any grad school in chemistry?" Without knowing your background (academic or research), it would be hard to comment on your chance to getting into any programs "related to chemistry". As for a job, you can probably easily getting a job as a research assistant / lab technician / lab manager in academic labs, or somewhat similar positions in industry / government labs. I personally don't think any course works would prove anything at this point, unless you are switching fields, for example, to biochemistry or biophysics.

Grad school isn't for everyone. If what you want to do in the future does not need a PhD, then there is no great reason(s) to put oneself going through all this. (I'm a hater of someone [that I know of] who is doing a PhD in Chemistry and thinking about going into finance after his PhD training - wasting the tax payers' and PI's money, everybody's time, and opportunity for somebody else who genuinely want/need the degree.)

Edited by aberrant

I think you are going to have to find someone in your school to discuss this with. Is there an office for international students? And do you have someone in the USA you can talk to about a transfer? Perhaps your undergrad university professors will have some insights. I really think that for this, you need experts on the ground, as it were. And chances are, those experts aren't going to be other graduate students.