2017 Applicants - Intro

Boa

19 hours ago, Tecumseh Valley said:

Applying to 14 programs at 13 schools (Ohio State, Northwestern, U Chicago (both Philos and Committee on Social Thought), Columbia, UConn, Oregon, Michigan, Stanford, Berkeley, Oxford, Maryland, Emory).

Have an MA in Philos from many years ago and a lot of teaching experience

AOS - aesthetics

Welcome! Good luck this season!

Hi everyone. I also did applications again this year, and so figured I should re-introduce myself. So... hello!

Also if anyone gets accepted at Indiana University (either for the straight Philosophy department or for the HPS department), I strongly encourage that you to contact me.

Good luck everyone!

Hey LennyBound,

I applied there, but, of course, no word yet.

Are you enrolled at Bloomington? (you might not want to disclose one way or another: feel free to ignore or PM me if you'd like to refrain)

Edited by Turretin

1 hour ago, Turretin said:

Hey LennyBound,

I applied there, but, of course, no word yet.

Are you enrolled at Bloomington? (you might not want to disclose one way or another: feel free to ignore or PM me if you'd like to refrain)

Yup, I am in the HPS department. Sorry if that wasn't clear. 

12 hours ago, LennyBound said:

Hi everyone. I also did applications again this year, and so figured I should re-introduce myself. So... hello!

Also if anyone gets accepted at Indiana University (either for the straight Philosophy department or for the HPS department), I strongly encourage that you to contact me.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks! I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted to IU! 

11 minutes ago, desolesiii said:

Thanks! I'm hopeful that I'll be accepted to IU! 

Same! I was waitlisted last year. I visited. It was lovely. But ultimately didn't get accepted off that waitlist. I'd love to go there. 

17 minutes ago, desolesiii said:

Was it as pretty as the Youtube videos? :'(

It was gorgeous. And, yes, I think comparable to the youtube videos. I can't dwell on it too much or else I'll only be that much more crushed if I don't get in this time around. 

Hey everyone! I am an undergraduate at a school that is mid-ranked on the PGR. My AOI are philosophy of mind, epistemology, and philosophy of cognitive science.
I applied to 14 schools: NYU, Rutgers, CUNY, Yale (Philosophy and Psychology program), UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, WUSTL (PNP program), Harvard, Toronto, Arizona, Maryland, UMass Amherst, University of British Columbia, and UTexas Austin. Currently anxiously waiting to hear back! Good luck to everyone else :)

On 1/26/2017 at 5:18 PM, joshmyers said:

Hey everyone! I am an undergraduate at a school that is mid-ranked on the PGR. My AOI are philosophy of mind, epistemology, and philosophy of cognitive science.
I applied to 14 schools: NYU, Rutgers, CUNY, Yale (Philosophy and Psychology program), UC San Diego, UC Berkeley, WUSTL (PNP program), Harvard, Toronto, Arizona, Maryland, UMass Amherst, University of British Columbia, and UTexas Austin. Currently anxiously waiting to hear back! Good luck to everyone else :)

Welcome to TGC! Good luck on your app season!

Hi all! I just finished undergrad at a top 10 PGR-ranked school. I took the year off between undergrad and grad school to really settle on a path going forward (I was considering law school, as many philosophers do). I'm currently working full time, reading up on feminist metaphysics, and worrying about admissions results!

AOI: metaphysics, philosophy of language, social philosophy.

I applied to 12 PhD programs: Harvard, MIT, NYU, Princeton, Rutgers, Stanford, UC Berkeley, UCLA, UNC Chapel Hill, U Michigan (Ann Arbor), UT Austin, Yale. 

Best of luck to you all! :) 

Hey everyone! I went to St. John's College in Annapolis and am applying to PhDs this year ranked about 10-40 (UT Austin, Arizona, UNC, UVA, UCSD, Berkeley, Colorado, and Chicago). My primary interest is normative and applied ethics, with a secondary in philosophy of mind. Just coming on here to commiserate and learn about when we'll hear back! Good luck everybody! 

Hi everyone!

I recently finished an undergrad degree in philosophy with a minor in neuroscience (would have done a double major but my school didn't offer it). Coming from a small, public, liberal arts school in NC. I've been spending the past year-or-so applying to schools and working full time in Information Systems. I've only applied to 7 programs (both MA's and PhD's) and now, after reading some of the other posts in here, I am worrying that maybe I should have applied to more.

Here are the places I've applied: University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser, Brock University, Harvard, NYU, King's College London, and Brandeis.

I've already heard from KCL (on 2/3 via email and then their website) and have been accepted with an "unconditional offer," yay! No funding though, so, I am still holding out for that.

Good luck to everyone!

Edit: I forgot to mention that my AOI's are philosophy of cognitive science, philosophy of mind, neurophenomenology, philosophy of science, and Buddhist philosophy.

Edited by Dysexlia

33 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

Hi everyone!

I recently finished an undergrad degree in philosophy with a minor in neuroscience (would have done a double major but my school didn't offer it). Coming from a small, public, liberal arts school in NC. I've been spending the past year-or-so applying to schools and working full time in Information Systems. I've only applied to 7 programs (both MA's and PhD's) and now, after reading some of the other posts in here, I am worrying that maybe I should have applied to more.

Here are the places I've applied: University of British Columbia, Simon Fraser, Brock University, Harvard, NYU, King's College London, and Brandeis.

I've already heard from KCL (on 2/3 via email and then their website) and have been accepted with an "unconditional offer," yay! No funding though, so, I am still holding out for that.

Good luck to everyone!

Edit: I forgot to mention that my AOI's are philosophy of cognitive science, philosophy of mind, neurophenomenology, philosophy of science, and Buddhist philosophy.

Welcome to TGC! What made you decide to apply to KCL?  I feel like a lot of American applicants wouldn't have even thought of that as a possible option. 

2 minutes ago, 753982 said:

Welcome to TGC! What made you decide to apply to KCL?  I feel like a lot of American applicants wouldn't have even thought of that as a possible option. 

Thanks! I've got a few friends across the pond and I've heard good things about their department especially in the area's of Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science. I checked out the faculty and there are a few people doing work that I am quite interested in! Plus, I'm ready to be out of Trump's America (though, unfortunately, I don't know how much better London will be right now).

13 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

Thanks! I've got a few friends across the pond and I've heard good things about their department especially in the area's of Philosophy of Mind and Cognitive Science. I checked out the faculty and there are a few people doing work that I am quite interested in! Plus, I'm ready to be out of Trump's America (though, unfortunately, I don't know how much better London will be right now).

I've also applied to UBC. By the way, they will start reviewing applications on February 15th (they emailed me). 

47 minutes ago, 753982 said:

Maybe because of funding? I've heard that it's notoriously difficult to get funding when it comes to UK programs but I might be wrong.

38 minutes ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

I've also applied to UBC. By the way, they will start reviewing applications on February 15th (they emailed me). 

They haven't even started?! How can that possibly be? May I ask who you were in touch with? UBC is my top choice, which is why I am wondering!

3 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

They haven't even started?! How can that possibly be? May I ask who you were in touch with? UBC is my top choice, which is why I am wondering!

Saw this on their website though: "The deadline for September admission is January 9th, 2017...We typically start processing applicants’ dossiers before the application deadline.":lol:

Edited by gradcoffee

2 minutes ago, gradcoffee said:

Saw this on my their website though: "The deadline for September admission is January 9th, 2017...We typically start processing applicants’ dossiers before the application deadline.":lol:

Yeah I mean I've been in touch with someone there (not for a few weeks, mind you) and what they told me was that in order to be considered for the University Fellowship that they announced a few months ago, everything had to be in BEFORE January 1st. This leads me to believe that they may have already started reviewing applications but, I could be wrong.

5 minutes ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

Sandra Shaw (Grad Program Assistant). Are you applying for the MA or PhD?

I've applied to the UBC PhD program but have checked the box that says I would also take admission to the MA. I've applied to both MA and PhD programs generally though.

Edited by Dysexlia