UChicago vs. UPenn

Khy

Hello all,

I was accepted into both the University of Pennsylvania SP2 and University of Chicago SSA programs. Although SSA is the number 2 MSW program I am leaning more towards SP2 because I believe it better aligns with my interests. I want to work with folks who are/ have been incarcerated and Penn has a re-entry program and I can also do a MSW/JD at Penn. I'm just conflicted because of the prestige of the SSA program and I believe it's such a great opportunity I don't want to pass it up, they also offered me a larger scholarship amount.

Someone give me some insight or words of wisdom, please!!!

Although SSA is the number 2 MSW program I am leaning more towards SP2 because I

believe it better aligns with my interests.

Fit over ranking. Ranking/prestige for an MSW isn't entirely important, if not overplayed.

For the JD, are you sure you want to practice law? I ask because wisdom says that "only do a JD if you want to practice law." I agree with this. (Unless you're making serious dough doing something else after graduation.) Same thing with an MD for medicine. If you want to help the incarcerated by policy reform, an MPP/MPA may do the job alongside an MSW. It can also be cheaper than a JD.

SSA program and I believe it's such a great opportunity I don't want to pass it up, they also offered me a larger scholarship amount.

Cheaper program over more expensive program.

On one hand UPenn looks like a better fit while UChicago makes the pursuit of the degree cheaper. Does UChicago's curriculum have some similar courses to UPenn's re-entry program? You may find a sweet spot; a possible internship with Chicago's prison system during your second year. Ideally UPenn would be cheaper to make your predicament easier, but that's not the case.

The thing that sways me to UChicago is that it's cheaper. You can also do a joint degree leading up to a MSW & MPP (The MPP I heard is quant. heavy.)

Also factor in living expenses for the city of Chicago & Philadelphia.

If you want to do law with an MSW, then UPenn seems like the choice given what you said about fit. If you're unsure about law you can do UChicago's joint program and achieve that sweet spot for fit while graduating with less debt with the program prestige card (though, again, not entirely important.) Just keep in mind the salary of the jobs you want coming out of professional school in order to pay back any loans.

Edited by UrbanMidwest

41 minutes ago, UrbanMidwest said:

If you want to help the incarcerated by policy reform, an MPP/MPA may do the job alongside an MSW. It can also be cheaper than a JD.

Thank you for your reply! I actually am looking to go into policy reform,  and this is the first time a MPP/MPA degree was brought to my attention. I agree that it should be fit over ranking, I think I am just feeling pressured to go to UChicago. 

41 minutes ago, UrbanMidwest said:

Does UChicago's curriculum have some similar courses to UPenn's re-entry program? You may find a sweet spot; a possible internship with Chicago's prison system during your second year.

From my research, it has been very hard to locate MSW programs with programs/faculty dedicated to the prison population. However, I already have experience working directly with the population and was thinking maybe I could benefit from broadening my interests and really delving into the policy reform side of things, which I believe UChicago would be good  for.

I think I'll look more into UChicago to see if maybe they do have that sweet spot that would persuade me to go with them. I may be overlooking some real positives with the program.

Edited by Khy

6 hours ago, Khy said:

Thank you for your reply! I actually am looking to go into policy reform,  and this is the first time a MPP/MPA degree was brought to my attention. I agree that it should be fit over ranking, I think I am just feeling pressured to go to UChicago. 

From my research, it has been very hard to locate MSW programs with programs/faculty dedicated to the prison population. However, I already have experience working directly with the population and was thinking maybe I could benefit from broadening my interests and really delving into the policy reform side of things, which I believe UChicago would be good  for.

I think I'll look more into UChicago to see if maybe they do have that sweet spot that would persuade me to go with them. I may be overlooking some real positives with the program.

Here are the professors at SSA whose area of "expertise" involves crime. You might find a couple that suits your research interests.

There are also some research labs associated with the program and Crime Lab may be something of interest as well.

Also, what PoliticalOrder said about the Harris school.

Edited by UrbanMidwest

JD admission at UChicago and UPenn is far, far more competitive than the MSW programs and is based primarily on LSAT score. Because of American Bar Association requirements (ABA), you will also not really be able to do a joint degree if you haven't already applied because you can't count courses toward a JD if they were taken before you started the JD program.

You might consider asking UPenn if they're willing to match your SSA offer. I would also strongly encourage you to visit both programs - you're going to be living there for two years.

You've been provided an abundance of substantive feedback from the users above, so I'll just add a congratulations for your acceptances! At this point, don't feel pressured about making a "wrong" decision; both MSW programs are very strong in research, faculty and networks. Follow the advice described in the previous posts, and I'm sure you'll make the best choice for your academic and career goals.