How do you turn your brain off?

Bleep_Bloop

For the first time in my program, I have a summer that's dedicated exclusively to research (in the humanities). It's been awesome! This is the first time that I haven't had to juggle research with teaching, coursework, language classes, etc. Overall I'm really enjoying it. 

I've run into an unexpected problem, however. I can't seem to NOT think about research. It's the summer, campus is empty and many of my friends have left. The built-in stress-valves that I had during the semester, like having drinks or dinner with other students, are also not an option. Previously I always had other tasks built into my schedule to momentarily take my mind off research, like teaching. I don't have that now, and combined with my (albeit young) enthusiasm for the project, I find myself working long hours when I don't need to, or thinking about work even when I'm trying to distract myself. Case in point: this afternoon I told myself that I'd go for a hike to clear my head. After a couple of minutes my mind was still swimming and I pulled my phone out to take notes so that I wouldn't forget any of my ideas. I was back at work in the middle of the forest. This all might sound like one giant humblebrag, but I'm concerned about preventing burnout and finding the right pace for my work. I know it's very important to find your stride when you begin the actual writing phase of the dissertation rather than just sprint out of the gate. More advanced grad students in my program tell me that at times you need to just find some way to just shut your brain off and not think about your research. So what is it that you guys do in these situations? I've been trying to do so by exercising and going outside, but as I just mentioned above, that doesn't necessarily work. 

I think there are two types of "breaks". For one type, you don't care whether or not your brain is "working", you just want it to be thinking about something else other than research. To get this kind of break, I get involved in other things on campus. For example, I'm co-captaining our department softball team. I am part of our student government (most of the work happens over the summer to prepare for the next year). I join committees to plan things like orientation. I enjoy using my problem solving skills so I look for other activities to work on to get a break from thinking about my research.

The other type of break is one where you distract yourself from thinking all together. Physical activities are good. I agree with you that hikes aren't always very good for this because it's too easy to think about other things (unless you are on a strenuous hike!) The biking very fast idea is a good one. Some people like running too. Other ideas are things like reading things you enjoy (for me, escapist fiction is good), or watching dumb TV shows, going to the movies, Netflix binge etc. Another good category of things to do is something that occupies your mind but does not require a lot of critical thinking. For example, knitting or crocheting works for some since it's a repetitive motion that you have to focus on. And you get something useful out of it at the end! 

There's some excellent suggestions already given but I'd throw in yoga really helps my mind switch off and to destress from the day. It might take a while to learn to empty your head but I find giving myself 45 minutes at some point during the day to stretch and be mindful and only in the present really helps. Exercise in general is wonderful, but not always possible - e.g. if you're injured. I agree that reading is great but I find my mind drifts a lot when watching TV. You know you best. If you're on a hike and find your mind starts drifting, bring it back to the present. Focus on the colour of the leaves, or the rhythm of your breath or the noise of the insects or something. Acknowledge the thoughts that pop into your head but say to them "this is not the time for you to occupy my head. This is me time." and return to focusing on the thing in the present. 

If you can get some social interaction, that's wonderful but sometimes you can just end up talking about research. So if you hang out, maybe allocate 20 mins for research venting then make it an off-limits conversation. 

Just a few suggestions that I've found really helpful. Hopefully there's something on this thread that works for you :)

8 hours ago, Bleep_Bloop said:

For the first time in my program, I have a summer that's dedicated exclusively to research (in the humanities). It's been awesome! This is the first time that I haven't had to juggle research with teaching, coursework, language classes, etc. Overall I'm really enjoying it. 

I've run into an unexpected problem, however. I can't seem to NOT think about research. It's the summer, campus is empty and many of my friends have left. The built-in stress-valves that I had during the semester, like having drinks or dinner with other students, are also not an option. Previously I always had other tasks built into my schedule to momentarily take my mind off research, like teaching. I don't have that now, and combined with my (albeit young) enthusiasm for the project, I find myself working long hours when I don't need to, or thinking about work even when I'm trying to distract myself. Case in point: this afternoon I told myself that I'd go for a hike to clear my head. After a couple of minutes my mind was still swimming and I pulled my phone out to take notes so that I wouldn't forget any of my ideas. I was back at work in the middle of the forest. This all might sound like one giant humblebrag, but I'm concerned about preventing burnout and finding the right pace for my work. I know it's very important to find your stride when you begin the actual writing phase of the dissertation rather than just sprint out of the gate. More advanced grad students in my program tell me that at times you need to just find some way to just shut your brain off and not think about your research. So what is it that you guys do in these situations? I've been trying to do so by exercising and going outside, but as I just mentioned above, that doesn't necessarily work. 

I know this feeling. The first thing I do is work while I'm working. Otherwise, guilt is a driving force with me. So that when I am done working for the day, I don't have to feel concerned about my progress. Set up a schedule of a certain amount of writing about what you research. Perhaps 250 words a day. This will give you something tangible for you to have, and you can incorporate some of this writing into later work. Even if all you write is a summary of what you read. Don't forget interesting quotes, page numbers, and bibliography. Schedule a couple of activities during the week for a break. Something social can be good, unless you're an introvert. Perhaps meet friends for some activity that is fun and low-key. Swing dancing is a thing. Things you do inside your head are harder (movies and tv even with friends, the coffee shop when you're alone, etc.) because they aren't really engrossing. I have found great success by reading cheap mystery novels in the bathtub (has to be a book you're not afraid of dropping into the water, so no library books.) The reason for the bathtub is that it's harder to just get out. There's some inertia to overcome. I also have a scheduled bedtime. I think about taking a walk along the ocean and listen to ocean wave sleepy-music. (I bought some sleep music - it's not really music, just the waves.) And the deal I made with myself is that if I wake up needing to work, I just get up and do that. Even if it's 3 am. But when I'm going to sleep, I just tell myself, now it's time to sleep. You can do the rest tomorrow. Keep a pen and paper by the bed if you must write something down. Also, make sure you are getting some physical exercise, and I don't just mean a lap for coffee and the bathroom once an hour.

@Bleep_Bloop I feel your pain - sometimes I just can't turn it off, which I think is probably fairly common in academia and is part of the reason we are academics.

That said, I've gotten better at managing such non-stop engagement: I heartily second the comments on yoga and mindfulness training. An hour of ashtanga (my preferred style) and my mind is pretty clear. Same for rock climbing. I think the difference in these and related activities is that they involve much more purposeful movement than going for a walk or riding a bike - and that purposeful movement requires move involvement from your brain which makes it harder to "multitask" your activity with your research. Similarly, especially before bedtime, I've found that playing a complex game with my spouse or kids helps a lot, such as Settlers of Catan or Killer Bunnies. 

I also have friends in similar situations, their de-engagement actives are lock-picking (as in the sport side), working puzzles, and wood-working. I don't have any of that stuff, so I haven't tried it, but they tell me it works. 

Whatever you choose, good luck!

I categorize "work brain off-turning" activities into two categories: the ones where I just let myself exist without thinking about anything at all, such as watching tv, reading fiction, cuddling, etc, and the ones where I switch tracks to a different type of exertion/thinking, such as cooking, hiking, knitting, singing, dancing, coloring, etc. I feel the need to have an even balance of the two in order to function in a healthy way - if I'm really exhausted and a bit burned out, I need the first type, and if I've just hit research/work quota but am still feeling pretty spry, then I change gears to something that requires physical activity/mental stretching.

I think anything could be a good distraction as long as you add a thoughtful task to it. If you like hiking, for instance, instead of just walking you could try adding some kind of activity to it: bring a camera along to take pictures, keep track of different kinds of trees, flowers, animals, etc. that you see, bring a pedometer to track your steps, listen to music, etc.

Some things I personally like to do to "shut off" are: draw (even if you aren't an "artist" you can always find an object around the room and try to copy it, doodle or colour in colouring books); watch Disney films (or really any kind of movie where you don't have to think much but which are still immersive, thoughtful or even nostalgic), and video games (I know to an extent some shooters can feel a bit mindless, but I find it really absorbing to play with friends and try to help your team, keep yourself alive, watch out for enemies, plan strategies, etc.) I also agree with @drivingthoughts about board games. There are a lot out there that require a lot of planning, strategy and concentration. My boyfriend and I are big board game nerds so I could recommend you some if you're interested!

Maybe turning your phone off/not taking it with you on your designated "breaks"? It isn't the end of the world if you find yourself thinking about research on your day off - it's a case of not acting on those thoughts for a while. You may forget some ideas...but they'll float back to the surface again. 

On 6/9/2016 at 0:25 AM, Bleep_Bloop said:

I have this problem too. I write in order to fix this. Have you thought about a part-time job somewhere like Chipotle? The music is loud and the people are friendly. Plus, there's cash.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Meditation is a huge one that I've picked up recently. Meditation can also be through exercise, but breathing rhythmically/mindfully is working wonders for me in reducing short-term burnout.

Try swimming (no matter, pool, river, sea or ocean). :lol:
Go for a walk.
Meet with people who inspire you and with whom you're feeling relaxed (it's better to meet with friends and family, not with groupmates or colleagues)

Swimming is the best because you can't do other things.  It is also great to go on long walks, listen to audio books, knit (or better crochet because you have to count and that makes it hard to think about research), go hiking or on runs.  Or be around people, although when this was first posted that sounds like it wasn't an option haha.