STS & Medical Anthro programs?

CoolOwl

I'm starting to look into PhD programs that offer (either formally or informally) some type of intersection between medical and STS anthropology. I'm not applying until the Fall 2018 cycle, so I have lots of time! Most of my undergraduate training and research experience is with med anthro, but my real heart-strings are pulled by STS and the relationship between the two. In my preliminary research, it feels like my options are, for the most part, ultra-above-me prestigious (HASTS). My two questions are, 1) does anyone have any suggestions for any comparable but also attainable programs, and 2) does anyone know if it is possible to apply with the hopes of working with PIs across institutions? Or is that a dumb idea? 

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Cornell. They have a strong STS department. Although your PhD needs to be in one or the other (STS or Anthro), you can definitely have a PI from the "other" department on your committee.