Executive Programs - Certified Program Manager

Hello,

Are executive programs,  such as the Certified Program Manager (CPM) certifications valuable for promotion into higher level positions? I will be holding both a MPA and a MPP already at that time, however I ask because my employer is willing to pay for 100% of it if I enroll. Thank you!

2 hours ago, xXIDaShizIXx said:

Hello,

Are executive programs,  such as the Certified Program Manager (CPM) certifications valuable for promotion into higher level positions? I will be holding both a MPA and a MPP already at that time, however I ask because my employer is willing to pay for 100% of it if I enroll. Thank you!

Moving into higher level positions usually requires work experience and connections. Gov't job promotions are always a formula consisting of degree level and experience level. I don't believe certifications would get you much, but if your employer thinks otherwise then obviously different. You already have two of the standard degrees, I don't see the need for a certification.

2 minutes ago, MD guy said:

Moving into higher level positions usually requires work experience and connections. Gov't job promotions are always a formula consisting of degree level and experience level. I don't believe certifications would get you much, but if your employer thinks otherwise then obviously different. You already have two of the standard degrees, I don't see the need for a certification.

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing. It does not really seem necessary and personally I would rather be working instead of in a classroom setting anymore. They do pay you overtime for attending thought so that is nice :)

2 hours ago, xXIDaShizIXx said:

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking the same thing. It does not really seem necessary and personally I would rather be working instead of in a classroom setting anymore. They do pay you overtime for attending thought so that is nice :)

Usually, "program managers" get there by working and doing very well in the program prior to getting promoted ;)

• 3 months later...

Everybody seems to want a PMP in DC; I'd get that if I were so inclined in the direction of dry project management and such. I have no idea what it really is, but it comes up on job reqs all the time.