Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

Well, the official rejection from Hopkins is in hand. I knew it was coming, so I guess I'd already processed most of the disappointment, but it was still a bit unpleasant. Anyone else who hasn't heard official news, they results are posted on the portal, so you should be able to find it after logging into your application. I haven't received an e-mail or any other notification yet, I just happened to check the website. It says all decisions should be available as of today.

Congrats on interviews and acceptances guys!!

It's been a big day for me, I got accepted into two programs today! I got a lovely, personalized email from a professor at the University of York (UK, not Ontario!) that I should receive an unconditional offer from the university in the next few days for the MA in Early Modern History. And I just checked my student portal for the University of Glasgow and I got in there too, for the MLitt in History! Haven't received any details so far but I guess I'll receive some sort of email soon.

Still waiting to hear from 4 other schools, but those are two outstanding options right here. Very exciting! :)

Also, this is probably a silly question, but I'm struggling a little bit with how to answer the email from York. It didn't come from a potential advisor (I was not expected to contact POI's at this point, although I have listed several members of faculty whose work interest me in my SoP) but I still want to thank them for their very thoughtful email. I want to indicate that I'm excited for this opportunity, but I don't want to pledge myself to the university either, so to speak. Thoughts?

Edited by Karou

On 1/31/2017 at 1:14 PM, Lediona Shahollari said:

I applied to U Michigan for European History and I have not heard anything from them! I heard they do not send out letters until the end of February. 

I received my U-M offer last year February 10, so it may be coming up in the next week or so. Good luck everyone!

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit late to the party here and just discovered the site. I am finishing up my MA at the moment (will be done by the end of the summer, assuming thesis writing goes well) and have a 4.0. Because my MA isn't complete and I can't use the thesis as a writing sample, I only applied to 1 school this round: UNH. I have talked with my POI via email and he actually gave me a call yesterday to chat, which was great. I've also been in touch with the grad director, who has been very friendly and helpful.

Now that I have discovered this site I assume I will be obsessively checking the search feature in addition to the app itself. The time frame for UNH seems to be kind of all over the place. Some rejections go out the same day (mid February for the first round it seems), same with acceptance letters. After that it seems like a free for all as to when people get their decisions.

Any other UNH applicants in here for this year (for PhD)? Anyone with past-year experience with that?

Thanks!

Haven't heard anything official from UNC yet and now I'm a wreck. Logically, I know my poi just said he hoped to have more official news today and there are any number or possible reasons for a delay, but now I'm seriously stressing myself out wondering if he's changed his mind. I was also kind of counting on official word from UNC to ease the sting of the Hopkins rejection.

But I guess moments like this are why we have wine.

6 hours ago, Karou said:

It's been a big day for me, I got accepted into two programs today! I got a lovely, personalized email from a professor at the University of York (UK, not Ontario!) that I should receive an unconditional offer from the university in the next few days for the MA in Early Modern History. And I just checked my student portal for the University of Glasgow and I got in there too, for the MLitt in History! Haven't received any details so far but I guess I'll receive some sort of email soon.

Still waiting to hear from 4 other schools, but those are two outstanding options right here. Very exciting! :)

Also, this is probably a silly question, but I'm struggling a little bit with how to answer the email from York. It didn't come from a potential advisor (I was not expected to contact POI's at this point, although I have listed several members of faculty whose work interest me in my SoP) but I still want to thank them for their very thoughtful email. I want to indicate that I'm excited for this opportunity, but I don't want to pledge myself to the university either, so to speak. Thoughts?

Congratulations on the acceptances! ^_^

In response to your question, I think it's fine if you just let them know you appreciate the acceptance and leave it at that. That way you don't explicitly commit to anything. But even if you do I don't think it'll be that much of a problem, as they know the kind of stuff students do when applying (e.g., it's always more than one place and then it's weighing various options before finally committing to one place). 

Hope that helps!

On 1/31/2017 at 6:00 AM, viridian said:

@SarahMoon I can give some tips as another international applicant, but since I am only an applicant and not an enrolled student, I won't have precise details of what it's like from within the program.

Usually, and I must emphasize *usually*, the funding package implies a full tuition waiver unless otherwise stated. But you would have to check with your school to nail down the precise conditions. For example, I know that at some universities, even if you go over the expected timeline -- writing up for a sixth year instead of finishing in five, which seems to happen very often for History students -- then that sixth year tuition is severely reduced so that you are only paying a nominal fee to remain in student status. Some universities also have lots of internal grants available to students seeking additional funding for dissertation completion. Or, if you manage to secure outside grants to support your studies, then the departmental funding can be "frozen" temporarily and reinstated once your outside grant runs out. However, this is not uniformly the case across the US, and the rules and rates of assistance will vary dramatically from school to school.

I did my undergraduate studies in the US, so I would also like to add that you should look into cost of living. If you attend a school in a major metropolitan area, everything will be more expensive than at a school in a more rural area. Rent, food, transportation -- it all adds up to make a huge difference, in my experience. Since you say you cannot afford to take on any debt, you should really double check to make sure the funding package alone is enough for a student to get by in that city/town/area. You could google some of that information, and there are some websites that help you estimate costs based on your location, but in addition to that you should also reach out to current graduate students and ask them if your funding amount is enough to study debt-free.

So long story short, there are many factors to consider: what exactly the $$$ covers, and what kinds of back-up funding options are available alongside the initial offer. All this should be measured against the cost of living in that particular area. As well as other expenses like health insurance, car, parking & gas (if it's a region where driving is necessary).

If there are any current PhD students out there reading this -- and I know there are many of you! -- please share your wisdom.

**edited to add: congratulations on your first offer! :D:D:D

@SarahMoon This is a good answer. Also be sure to ask about semester fees (which are usually technology fees, gym fees, bus fee, etc. etc.). Some schools include this in their funding packages with their tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance, but be advised that several don't. Be sure to ask ahead of time when making your decision so you don't get surprised with it later. Student fees are often $500-$1000. Let us know if you have any more specific questions. The best way to find out whether your stipend is livable in a specific area is to ask the current grad students at your visit day (or ask on here). But be specific when you ask them. People choose to prioritize different things with their stipends. Some are willing to have much less spending money in order to get a nicer apartment (or to live alone), while others will room with 4 people in order to have much more spending cash, so try to get a sense of each person's spending lifestyle when you ask them.

11 hours ago, Karou said:

I recommend that you save your thanks until you send a definitive reply.

15 hours ago, Karou said:

Congrats! I'd actually recommend just sending a reply that says something along the lines of, "Thanks for the email, I was very happy to receive the offer and to hear from you. At this stage I have received one other offer and am waiting to hear back from a few other schools - [maybe any questions that you have about the school]. Thank you for getting in touch and I look forward to speaking with you further -" I've sent two emails along these lines and I've received very friendly replies - it's something they're used to. Also I don't think I'd ever leave an email unaddressed when the person's taken time to write to you - perhaps especially in Britain! 

Edited by OHSP

16 hours ago, realmarcelproust said:

This morning I got a really friendly from my POI at Penn telling me that it was a pleasure to meet me and following up on a question about workshops I asked at the end of my interview last week. She also sent along the names of two other professors in the department she thought I should know/with whom I should potentially be in touch. She said she looked forward to be in touch again very soon. 

This doesn't mean anything either way, does it? I'm assuming so, but I don't really know how this works. I didn't send any followup emails either, so this came more or less out of the blue. 

Thoughts, anyone?

Also @OHSP glad to hear your Penn interview went well! What's your subfield, btw? 

That sounds promising - hopefully it means good news (though I am trying to spend less time in wild speculation). My subfield is modern US/gender and sexuality.

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

The decisions at Brown have been approved by the department and are waiting upon final approval from the grad school.

It will all be over soon :ph34r:

16 minutes ago, praxis34 said:

@telkanuru thanks for the information! Do you know or guess how long it typically takes for the grad school to approve? :huh:

While I am interested in official approval and such, I think I'm more interested in when they're going to notify us :wacko:

12 hours ago, Calgacus said:

@SarahMoon This is a good answer. Also be sure to ask about semester fees (which are usually technology fees, gym fees, bus fee, etc. etc.). Some schools include this in their funding packages with their tuition waiver, stipend, and health insurance, but be advised that several don't. Be sure to ask ahead of time when making your decision so you don't get surprised with it later. Student fees are often $500-$1000. Let us know if you have any more specific questions. The best way to find out whether your stipend is livable in a specific area is to ask the current grad students at your visit day (or ask on here). But be specific when you ask them. People choose to prioritize different things with their stipends. Some are willing to have much less spending money in order to get a nicer apartment (or to live alone), while others will room with 4 people in order to have much more spending cash, so try to get a sense of each person's spending lifestyle when you ask them.

Thanks so much @Calgacus - great suggestions.

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

Somehow that sounds rather ominous.

As much as I'm dying for results, I also kind of not ready for rejection letters to burst my little bubble of blissful ignorance. I've come to enjoy living in a fantasy world where people who like me and want to work with me exist.

11 minutes ago, angesradieux said:

As much as I'm dying for results, I also kind of not ready for rejection letters to burst my little bubble of blissful ignorance. I've come to enjoy living in a fantasy world where people who like me and want to work with me exist.

I feel you! I think if mine was an acceptance my POI would have emailed me, to let me know.

On 2017/2/1 at 5:43 AM, OHSP said:

For anyone yet to be interviewed by Penn, I just had my interview and it went relatively well (but it's hard to tell?). I was definitely a bit awkward but hopefully that's relatively common amongst history grad students. The interviewers were my three POIs and they asked pretty straightforward questions - how did I come to my proposed topic, a few specific questions about my area, how have I developed as a historian, etc. They mentioned that they were only interviewing a small group of people but I don't know if that means they'll only be offering places to those with interviews. Good luck to others waiting on UPenn. 

I had my interview today. It kicked off really awkwardly but I am a politics grad student....so, hopefully this is common among people who try to change their major. I think I got similar (if not the same) questions. I think I did alright but I'd probably wake up tomorrow morning thinking that I've screwed up. Speaking of which, did they mention if they are gonna reject people whom they interviewed or humanely put them on the waiting list and..leave them waiting?

On 7/18/2016 at 0:30 PM, Quickmick said:

Just curious as to how many apps you will (did) send out? Assuming that more apps won't increase the odds--but will decrease variance--I was planning on sending out 8-10 but am now leaning toward sending out 5ish. 

In my case, my poi mainly wanted to know how I wanted to make my project work at U of M, and how he could help me, since it's not a common topic. I would gather that if a project/interest is more straightforward (like you want to do Qing law with the guy who specializes in Qing law) an interview like that wouldn't be necessary- but that's for Asia. No clue how other regions do their admissions!

6 hours ago, telkanuru said:

The decisions at Brown have been approved by the department and are waiting upon final approval from the grad school.

I applied to American Studies at Brown, but based on the results page, AS and History usually accept/decline/waitlist around the same time. Do you know why Brown makes decisions so quickly? (AS app was due Jan 10...but my other apps that were due in Dec still have yet to make decisions).

@Koznyshev and @OHSP, thank you for the congrats, and for the advice. :) I ended up replying something along those lines. I was just overthinking it, like you said  I'm sure they're expecting that students have applied to more than one school and may hold more than one offer. 

@Sigaba, I don't know, maybe it's naive of me, or a major faux-pas or something, but I'd feel weird ignoring somebody who was kind enough to take the time to personally email me and who has clearly read through my application carefully.

Good luck to all of you waiting to hear from Brown! 

Edited by Karou

7 hours ago, praxis34 said:

@telkanuru thanks for the information! Do you know or guess how long it typically takes for the grad school to approve? :huh:

A week.

7 hours ago, wjd said:

While I am interested in official approval and such, I think I'm more interested in when they're going to notify us :wacko:

After the approvals are done. 

6 hours ago, angesradieux said:

Yes.

As much as I'm dying for results, I also kind of not ready for rejection letters to burst my little bubble of blissful ignorance.

Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is that acceptances hear first, and that silence should usually be understood as rejection.

2 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

I applied to American Studies at Brown, but based on the results page, AS and History usually accept/decline/waitlist around the same time. Do you know why Brown makes decisions so quickly? (AS app was due Jan 10...but my other apps that were due in Dec still have yet to make decisions).

No clue, I interact with AS only briefly. IIRC, history apps were due in December. But it may be because it's a very small department?

24 minutes ago, History Fanatic said:

Does anyone have any information on Purdue?  There were two very early admission results posted, then nothing......  

I haven't heard back from them yet either. Don't know how to explain the two early admits, but it makes me nervous anyway...

I have somewhere to go (Michigan State), but I'd feel less like I got accepted due to some freak accident if I got more than one positive. XD