Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

Hi there. I am one of the Purdue admits. I got the acceptance on January 25th. As far as I can tell from the corresponding emails, there were only four admits. I do know, however, that there is a waitlist. At this point, I do have other offers and am still waiting to hear back from several schools. I will do my best to make a decision as timely as possible as I know what it is like to wait in academic purgatory. Feel free to message me with any questions. Best of luck. 

23 minutes ago, curiousnotlost said:

Hi there. I am one of the Purdue admits. I got the acceptance on January 25th. As far as I can tell from the corresponding emails, there were only four admits. I do know, however, that there is a waitlist. At this point, I do have other offers and am still waiting to hear back from several schools. I will do my best to make a decision as timely as possible as I know what it is like to wait in academic purgatory. Feel free to message me with any questions. Best of luck. 

Thank you for the information! And congrats on your admission. :D

So I'm not sure what to make of it, but I just got an email from the grad director at the University of New Hampshire asking how my research trip went (I am wrapping up my MA at the moment he knew I had been awarded a SEED grant and was abroad 2 weeks ago), and he signed the email "Yours, Kurk" with no last name. Any thoughts? I am driving myself insane waiting for replies and analyzing emails lol. I also had a phone call from my POI on Tuesday. I have convinced myself that I will not likely be admitted, probably just to soften the blow of any rejections. But has anyone else had correspondence like that with graduate directors at schools?

Also, what are the thoughts on my stats?

Master's degree GPA (24 credits complete): 4.0

GRE scores: Verbal 159 writing 4.5

I feel like while my GPA is good, my GRE isn't super stellar. If I don't get in this year I will be retaking it.

Thoughts?

9 minutes ago, nhhistorynut said:

I feel like while my GPA is good, my GRE isn't super stellar. If I don't get in this year I will be retaking it.

Thoughts?

My information (admittedly from my professors) indicates that the GRE is unimportant beyond a quick glance to determine whether or not you meet the minimum requirements.

2 hours ago, Karou said:

@Sigaba, I don't know, maybe it's naive of me, or a major faux-pas or something, but I'd feel weird ignoring somebody who was kind enough to take the time to personally email me and who has clearly read through my application carefully.

I am not saying that you shouldn't say thank you. I'm recommending that you say thank you in a way that indicates that you're respectful of other peoples' time in ways that they'll appreciate. Two email messages, no matter how well-written, heartfelt, thoughtful or thankful, are still two email messages to read among a stack of periodicals, books, essays, thesis and dissertation drafts, manuscripts, blue books, committee reports, and departmental memos.

Moreover, given your desire not to give an indication of your decision in a thank you note, you're running a risk, no matter how well intended your note, of sending a different message than you intend. Thank you for your offer...I'll let you know when I make a decision. IME, historians don't exactly appreciate that message when they get it from established professors following an offer of an endowed chair. The prospect of rejection doesn't always become easier to endure. YMMV.

@Sigaba, ah that makes more sense, apologies for misreading your previous message! You're absolutely right that it would be better to send my thanks after having made a decision. However, they contacted me unexpectedly fast (10 days after I sent in my application -which by the way is going to spoil me for life) and I know for a fact that some other schools will not notify me of a decision before mid to late March, and it just seemed like a long time to leave an email unanswered. But point taken, thank you!

Edited by Karou

1 hour ago, nhhistorynut said:

Also, what are the thoughts on my stats?

Thoughts?

If you're getting interest (like interviews) from schools you're interested in, your stats are fine. Honestly, I think people are more interested in your intellectual background, preparation for your proposed research (in classes, languages, internships/archival work, fieldwork, etc.), and your departmental fit than anything else. The only thing my advisor has ever said about the process was something to the extent of "I looked over your writing sample and your recommendations and everything looks fine", but your mileage may vary. 

3 hours ago, nhhistorynut said:

Thoughts?

You are thinking like an undergraduate rather than a graduate student earning a MA.

You are a historian. I urge you to start immediately the habit of defining yourself by your fields/subjects/methods/interests, not your metrics.

5 hours ago, telkanuru said:

No clue, I interact with AS only briefly. IIRC, history apps were due in December. But it may be because it's a very small department?

Hmm. Could be...which makes me nervous! Thanks!

9 hours ago, Sigaba said:

You are thinking like an undergraduate rather than a graduate student earning a MA.

You are a historian. I urge you to start immediately the habit of defining yourself by your fields/subjects/methods/interests, not your metrics.

Thank you, and good point. Like a lot of grad students, I tend to deal with a bit of imposter syndrome, always wondering if I actually know what I'm doing or if I am just really good at faking it. Despite being awarded a research grant, having a paper accepted for publication, and having my advisor ask to keep my prospectus as an example for future students, I always question my abilities and qualifications. I guess I need to work on overcoming that.

FYI the admissions committee at UCLA has made its decisions  -- yesterday I received an email from my POI letting me know I had been waitlisted. Apparently 180 people applied this year and they could only accept about 8% of them due to fiscal constraints.

12 hours ago, Sigaba said:

But the thing is that Metrics are unfortunately one of the things that puts us into graduate school. If you're on the bubble, they might put you over or under. And if they aren't good, a big school WILL weed you out before the faculty even bothers to read your papers.

If anyone's still waiting on UNC, it sounds like they've made their final decisions. I got an e-mail from my POI saying that I'm officially in and that the DGS anticipates starting to send out e-mails at some point within the next week. Take the timeline with a grain of salt, though, since I was originally told they'd start sending notifications this past week. In any case, it sounds like decisions should start going out soon.

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

But the thing is that Metrics are unfortunately one of the things that puts us into graduate school. If you're on the bubble, they might put you over or under. And if they aren't good, a big school WILL weed you out before the faculty even bothers to read your papers.

SBS--

As you and @nhhistorynut have already earned admission to at least one graduate program apiece and as each of you are applying to doctorate programs with M.A.'s, how you communicate what you know and what you want to learn are going to put you over the top. That message is something you can control.

Your metrics and your academic pedigree to this point are largely beyond your control now. Also, compare the following two thumbnails. Which thumbnail says I get good grades and test well? Which says I have some familiarity with the historiographical debates of my areas of specialization as well as the the broader debates among professional academic historians?

My GPA is 4.00, my GRE score is 170 verbal and 6 writing.

I am an Americanist specializing in diplomatic history. My research interests center around President Eisnehower's views of ethnic and racial differences and how those views informed his administration's grand strategy, specifically the use of clandestine paramilitary operations.

13 minutes ago, Sigaba said:

SBS--

As you and @nhhistorynut have already earned admission to at least one graduate program apiece and as each of you are applying to doctorate programs with M.A.'s, how you communicate what you know and what you want to learn are going to put you over the top. That message is something you can control.

Your metrics and your academic pedigree to this point are largely beyond your control now. Also, compare the following two thumbnails. Which thumbnail says I get good grades and test well? Which says I have some familiarity with the historiographical debates of my areas of specialization as well as the the broader debates among professional academic historians?

My GPA is 4.00, my GRE score is 170 verbal and 6 writing.

I am an Americanist specializing in diplomatic history. My research interests center around President Eisnehower's views of ethnic and racial differences and how those views informed his administration's grand strategy, specifically the use of clandestine paramilitary operations.

Good points. I suppose for me, being accepted into MA programs wasn't much of a battle or badge of honor, as I have always considered it simply the first step towards my PhD and because I got into every program I applied to (only 3, but still). You've definitely put a great perspective on it for me, though, because I can say with confidence that my personal statement and conversations with POI and grad director all stayed within the lines of your second example.

Even still, trying not to get my hopes up just in case! I only applied to the 1 school this year since my MA thesis is still a work in progress, and if I don't get in I will reapply next year and to a few schools in Boston.

8 hours ago, voforange said:

Quick question, to those receiving Harvard acceptances, if you haven't received an unofficial email from a POI, does that mean you're not getting in?

Alas! I wanted to ask the same question... I've got nothing so far and I'm assuming that means I'll get a rejection sooner or later though I sincerely hope I am wrong. (really want to work with some professor)

8 hours ago, voforange said:

Quick question, to those receiving Harvard acceptances, if you haven't received an unofficial email from a POI, does that mean you're not getting in?

18 minutes ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Alas! I wanted to ask the same question... I've got nothing so far and I'm assuming that means I'll get a rejection sooner or later though I sincerely hope I am wrong. (really want to work with some professor)

Most Harvard POIs contact as soon as they know, in my experience. It's not certain, but I wouldn't have any expectations if you haven't heard.

Edited by telkanuru

4 minutes ago, telkanuru said:

Most Harvard POIs contact as soon as they know, in my experience. It's not certain, but I wouldn't have any expectations if you haven't heard.

Thank you for the information! Yep that's what I thought. Fairytale story doesn't happen a lot in real life I guess~ :P

2 hours ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Thank you for the information! Yep that's what I thought. Fairytale story doesn't happen a lot in real life I guess~ :P

As someone who's been there, done that, and has the literal t-shirt, I'd say that "fairytale" is a bit of an oversell, unless you mean the original Grimm versions.

11 hours ago, rainbeew said:

I am waiting for Amherst. Last year I heard acceptances went out around Feb. 6th... Anyone out there with news, predictions?

I got a UMass/Five College program acceptance email from the director of graduate studies in history yesterday (or technically notification that I've been recommended to the graduate school for acceptance). Official offer letter forthcoming in the next few weeks. No idea if they send all of their acceptances at once.