Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

4 hours ago, deflippered said:

Hi Team,  

::I'm new::  

Did anyone here apply to Chicago's Conceptual and Historical Studies of Science Program?  

If so, any action?

Best,

B

I applied there as well, but I think they're a sub-department of history, which has sent out acceptances. I'm actually hoping I'm wrong too!

Informed today I was rejected from Harvard's HoS, but it was an unfunded MA, so I'm not upset. Waiting to hear from Princeton HoS.

36 minutes ago, betwixt&between said:

I'm in the same boat with UCONN, friend. Their letter was really kind, though. What's your sub-field/POI? The other program I applied to is a PhD in education, and I got an invitation to interview with them yesterday, so at least I have that cushion.

My focus is on Anglo-American relationships—political and economic, and the breakdown thereof—as well as cultural differences, in the years before and during the American Revolution, that led to the split with Great Britain. I was looking at working with Chris Clark and Nina Dayton for that, since my focus does split between early American and some British history. You?

55 minutes ago, psstein said:

I applied there as well, but I think they're a sub-department of history, which has sent out acceptances. I'm actually hoping I'm wrong too!

Informed today I was rejected from Harvard's HoS, but it was an unfunded MA, so I'm not upset. Waiting to hear from Princeton HoS.

Thanks for your response.

It is quite confusing because my application is for the Department of Social Sciences.

Odd.

Thanks, again, and good luck with everything!

On 2/15/2017 at 9:45 PM, a.n.d said:

Anyone had any news from South Carolina or Tennessee yet? 

Also, congrats on all the acceptances!

The DGS of South Carolina told me expect a decision at the end of February... keep your fingers crossed

7 hours ago, deflippered said:

It is quite confusing because my application is for the Department of Social Sciences.

Hi there! I did my undergrad at UChicago in their history/chss departments. UChicago is a little different than its peers because we don't have a "graduate school of arts and sciences," but the disciplines are all housed within different "divisions" that are responsible for both undergraduate and graduate education. At UChicago, history and CHSS are both considered "social sciences" so they're housed within the the Division of Social Sciences, which is separate from the Division of Humanities, etc. Does that make sense/clarify anything? I know I only did undergrad at UChicago, but I'm pretty familiar with both the history and CHSS programs/faculty if you have any questions!

13 hours ago, laleph said:

Dunno if this means anything, but yesterday I got the official notice of my status on the supposedly "short" waitlist. Does anyone have any idea what a "short" waitlist means?

I also received news that I was waitlisted at Harvard. Are you planning to stay on the waitlist? In my field, history programs usually take 1-2 people at most per year, so I'm assuming if one person in my field declines their spot, I would get off the waitlist. I don't have high hopes though -- it is Harvard, so I don't think the likelihood of someone declining would be pretty slim. 

59 minutes ago, sreagin1 said:

The DGS of South Carolina told me expect a decision at the end of February... keep your fingers crossed

Oh man, thanks for letting me know!!

58 minutes ago, OHSP said:

I reckon that's me for grad school applications! I can finally stop checking the grad cafe results stream at 1, 3, and 5 in the morning! 

Congrats! If I recall correctly, you have some great choices in front of you. Best of luck!

Edited by voprosi
typo

14 hours ago, russianblue said:

I know they're reimbursing for some travel, but I know not everyone may have the upfront cash for accommodations, so I thought I'd offer! What is your field of study?

I am a little sorry I can't make it - it would have been great to meet potential future peers. On the other hand, through a happy scheduling accident, my trip coincides with the Virginia book fair - so every cloud...

My field's modern Middle East, more specifically Israel-Palestine. How about you?

5 hours ago, BeepBeepBoop said:

I am a little sorry I can't make it - it would have been great to meet potential future peers. On the other hand, through a happy scheduling accident, my trip coincides with the Virginia book fair - so every cloud...

My field's modern Middle East, more specifically Israel-Palestine. How about you?

Cool, mine (kind of) too! What projects do you work on? I do Israel-Palestine in the context of the history of science. 

5 hours ago, BeepBeepBoop said:

Oh, that sounds like something to look forward to! I'm excited to meet everyone and look around town a bit! We should stay in touch though! Are you in anywhere else?

Interesting! I took a Modern Middle East class back in undergrad and wrote a paper on Israel-Palestine and bilingual schools, but I haven't kept up much with the field since then. I'm in Russian history, I'd like to focus a little bit more on Imperial Russia than I have so far, but I currently straddle the Imperial-Soviet line.

Hi everyone,

After suffering through 4 days of radio silence after my interview, I got an email this morning that I have been accepted to the one and only school I applied to this season! I thought it was a long shot since my MA wont confer until December, but they were okay with that and have decided to admit me! Offer comes with 4 years of guaranteed funding!!

11 hours ago, voprosi said:

I also received news that I was waitlisted at Harvard. Are you planning to stay on the waitlist? In my field, history programs usually take 1-2 people at most per year, so I'm assuming if one person in my field declines their spot, I would get off the waitlist. I don't have high hopes though -- it is Harvard, so I don't think the likelihood of someone declining would be pretty slim. 

Oy, I'm torn. I am leaning in the direction of accepting another offer, and am therefore wondering if I should keep my spot on the waitlist till Harvard rejects me on its own. I don't want to prevent anyone from getting in to his/her dream school by clogging up the waitlist -- but as you say, it's probably unlikely to be accepted that way anyway, so why not stay on? I dunnnoooooo

Edited by laleph

30 minutes ago, laleph said:

Oy, I'm torn. I am leaning in the direction of accepting another offer, and am therefore wondering if I should keep my spot on the waitlist till Harvard rejects me on its own. I don't want to prevent anyone from getting in to his/her dream school by clogging up the waitlist -- but as you say, it's probably unlikely to be accepted that way anyway, so why not stay on? I dunnnoooooo

Don't beat yourself up over it. You have until April 15th. Don't rush it.

How many people Harvard takes from the waitlist is EXTREMELY variable.

13 hours ago, realmarcelproust said:

Hi there! I did my undergrad at UChicago in their history/chss departments. UChicago is a little different than its peers because we don't have a "graduate school of arts and sciences," but the disciplines are all housed within different "divisions" that are responsible for both undergraduate and graduate education. At UChicago, history and CHSS are both considered "social sciences" so they're housed within the the Division of Social Sciences, which is separate from the Division of Humanities, etc. Does that make sense/clarify anything? I know I only did undergrad at UChicago, but I'm pretty familiar with both the history and CHSS programs/faculty if you have any questions!

Very helpful.  Thanks!

I'm feeling I'm feeling so stressed out today. I got rejected from Harvard yesterday, which is not really a surprise and I really couldn't care less because I wouldn't have even been able to rank it as a "choice." I knew I wasn't getting in. BUt the only place I have heard anything remotely favorable from is a waitlist spot at Brandeis. I'm still waiting on Umass, BC, and Clark...and this far in the season I think that can only mean one thing. I look at the kind of package they are offering people at Brandeis and I find it pretty unlikely that someone would turn it down. So I'm feeling like this might really be it for me. The end of the season with not one department taking me.

On 2/16/2017 at 5:44 AM, SarahBethSortino said:

Yeah I know. I don't know if you had a lot of contact with them before hand but I went and spoke to the Head of the department in October in person. I grew up in the town next door. FYI it is an EXTREMELY small program. 2-3 in "general" history, 1-2 admitted every year for Holocaust studies. 

Good to know. It's a unique fit for me as I'm doing research on comparative genocide: Armenia, Holodomor, Holocaust, and they have that blend of faculty members there. I don't know much about Worcester or the area. My best friend is from near there, but I've always lived out west or NYC. 

I was in touch in October and November with a few people over the phone and several more by email. We shall see. It's intriguing for sure. Did you apply for general history there?

1 minute ago, sovietviolinist said:

Good to know. It's a unique fit for me as I'm doing research on comparative genocide: Armenia, Holodomor, Holocaust, and they have that blend of faculty members there. I don't know much about Worcester or the area. My best friend is from near there, but I've always lived out west or NYC. 

I was in touch in October and November with a few people over the phone and several more by email. We shall see. It's intriguing for sure. Did you apply for general history there?

Yes. My focus is Revolutionary Era civilian life. I grew up in Shrewsbury, which is right next door to Worcester, and whatever happens with grad school I'm buying a condo in Worcester this summer with my boyfriend. I will say Worcester is great...its not glamorous and it has A LOT of problems, but the city is really turning itself around. Lots of great bars and restaurants, and Clark is definitely at the center of their academic culture. Also, its 45 minutes away from Boston. I wouldn't move back there if I didn't think it has a lot to offer (although clark itself is in...how should I say...an "up and coming" neighborhood.