Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

2 minutes ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Yes. My focus is Revolutionary Era civilian life. I grew up in Shrewsbury, which is right next door to Worcester, and whatever happens with grad school I'm buying a condo in Worcester this summer with my boyfriend. I will say Worcester is great...its not glamorous and it has A LOT of problems, but the city is really turning itself around. Lots of great bars and restaurants, and Clark is definitely at the center of their academic culture. Also, its 45 minutes away from Boston. I wouldn't move back there if I didn't think it has a lot to offer (although clark itself is in...how should I say...an "up and coming" neighborhood.

Ah! sounds like some exciting plans for you, regardless with the condo. Congrats!
I might drop you a private message if I do get into Clark. I'm interested in buying a condo wherever I go, so somewhere not so wealthy would actually be helpful to me...

1 minute ago, sovietviolinist said:

Ah! sounds like some exciting plans for you, regardless with the condo. Congrats!
I might drop you a private message if I do get into Clark. I'm interested in buying a condo wherever I go, so somewhere not so wealthy would actually be helpful to me...

OMG PLEASE PM me. I know a lot about the area and regardless of if I wind up going to Clark I could probably help you out a lot. BTW, the condo I'm looking at is a 2 bedroom, 1100sq place going for $134,000. If that give you any indication of the price range.

4 hours ago, nevermind said:

Cool, mine (kind of) too! What projects do you work on? I do Israel-Palestine in the context of the history of science. 

That's something you don't come across often! I'd be very interested in knowing more, if you're happy to share :) I work on intra-Jewish ethnic relations, the Israeli radical right and state violence.

4 hours ago, russianblue said:

Oh, that sounds like something to look forward to! I'm excited to meet everyone and look around town a bit! We should stay in touch though! Are you in anywhere else?

Interesting! I took a Modern Middle East class back in undergrad and wrote a paper on Israel-Palestine and bilingual schools, but I haven't kept up much with the field since then. I'm in Russian history, I'd like to focus a little bit more on Imperial Russia than I have so far, but I currently straddle the Imperial-Soviet line.

We definitely should! And in the meantime I hope you enjoy and benefit from the visit :) Not in anywhere else so far - I haven't heard back from any of the other programs I applied to, although the only one that's sent out responses is Near Eastern Studies at Princeton, so I'm assuming rejection. But it was rather a poor fit for me (plus, you know, it *is* Princeton).

I did wonder if your username was a clue! We skipped through a little Imperial Russian history during a course I took for my MA, but not in as much detail as I'd have liked. The bilingual schools in I-P topic is a fascinating one - it symbolises so much of what's going on over there...

Congrats to everyone with acceptances! I'm new to this forum and just wanted to know if anyone applied to or has heard from University of Michigan's joint Anthropology and History PhD program? 

13 minutes ago, DA91 said:

Congrats to everyone with acceptances! I'm new to this forum and just wanted to know if anyone applied to or has heard from University of Michigan's joint Anthropology and History PhD program? 

I think they may have sent them out last week. They are only accepting two to the joint program this year.

Hi All,

Congrats to all those who were admitted :)

Has anyone applied to CSU Sacramento and UC Santa Barbara's joint doctorate program in Public Historical Studies? If so, have you heard back?

Also any news regarding Notre Dame's joint History and Peace Studies doctorate program? Thanks

On 2/16/2017 at 0:15 AM, Donghai said:

It's ok! My POIs actually interviewed me yesterday, and the interview was pretty short-about 15mins or so. I think I would get the result very soon, possibly some time this week. What's your subfield?

That's wonderful ?

Urban U.S. history (1960s to present)

What's yours? 

There have been power outages in my neighborhood. Sorry for the late response, but I hope you've heard back!

1 hour ago, Kbelt25 said:

That's wonderful ?

Urban U.S. history (1960s to present)

What's yours? 

There have been power outages in my neighborhood. Sorry for the late response, but I hope you've heard back!

I plan to pursue modern Chinese history. I was just notified that I was accepted to the MA program at UCI. Are you applying for the MA or PhD? I applied to both programs. I was only accepted to the MA. 

I told myself I wouldn't freak out until mid March. That was apparently a lie because, wow, I am so anxious right now. 

I've only heard from Pitt, an interview I think went exceptionally well, but my POI said I should know something around Valentine's Day, and given that was now last week, I'm worried. 

I haven't heard anything from IU, and I was thinking dodging the first wave of rejections was a good sign, but I'm having doubts, especially given my primary POI isn't involved in decisions this year.

And I haven't heard anything from FIU, and there's so little data on the Reaults board it's hard to tell anything about their process. 

I'm so tempted to break down and email, but I'm also worried about etiquette and I really don't know what I'm doing, to be honest.   

Is anyone else still completely in the dark? Solidarity, because this is awful. 

57 minutes ago, krystasonrisa said:

I told myself I wouldn't freak out until mid March. That was apparently a lie because, wow, I am so anxious right now. 

I've only heard from Pitt, an interview I think went exceptionally well, but my POI said I should know something around Valentine's Day, and given that was now last week, I'm worried. 

I haven't heard anything from IU, and I was thinking dodging the first wave of rejections was a good sign, but I'm having doubts, especially given my primary POI isn't involved in decisions this year.

And I haven't heard anything from FIU, and there's so little data on the Reaults board it's hard to tell anything about their process. 

I'm so tempted to break down and email, but I'm also worried about etiquette and I really don't know what I'm doing, to be honest.   

I feel you! I'm still getting silence from both of my schools, so it's a liiiittle anxiety-inducing. 

20 minutes ago, a.n.d said:

I feel you! I'm still getting silence from both of my schools, so it's a liiiittle anxiety-inducing. 

To which schools have you applied? Has the Results board given you any indication of when you might hear from them?

On 2/16/2017 at 2:52 PM, EricaMac said:

My focus is on Anglo-American relationships—political and economic, and the breakdown thereof—as well as cultural differences, in the years before and during the American Revolution, that led to the split with Great Britain. I was looking at working with Chris Clark and Nina Dayton for that, since my focus does split between early American and some British history. You?

My focus is social inequality and marginalization in the US, utilizing race and class. I was looking to work with Jeffrey Ogbar, or Melanie Newport. Will you be attending the Prosective Students weekend?

On 2/17/2017 at 11:10 AM, nhhistorynut said:

Hi everyone,

After suffering through 4 days of radio silence after my interview, I got an email this morning that I have been accepted to the one and only school I applied to this season! I thought it was a long shot since my MA wont confer until December, but they were okay with that and have decided to admit me! Offer comes with 4 years of guaranteed funding!!

Congratulations! 

5 hours ago, krystasonrisa said:

To which schools have you applied? Has the Results board given you any indication of when you might hear from them?

I've applied to Tennessee at Knoxville and South Carolina. Someone let me know that USC said the end of this month for decisions, aaand according the results board, Tennessee should be around next week? Hopefully. It'd be nice to get an acceptance on my birthday, so y'know. Crossing fingers and whatnot. 

1 hour ago, a.n.d said:

I've applied to Tennessee at Knoxville and South Carolina. Someone let me know that USC said the end of this month for decisions, aaand according the results board, Tennessee should be around next week? Hopefully. It'd be nice to get an acceptance on my birthday, so y'know. Crossing fingers and whatnot. 

Hope it works out for you and you have a great birthday! :)

On 2/18/2017 at 11:23 AM, krystasonrisa said:

Just remember that not all program have the same timelines. Some programs have interviews earlier so you can go visit in March. Others have their visiting weekends with interviews so they need to make a decision faster. Others have a more relaxed timeline that fits the department's needs and don't make decisions until March. The fact that many people are getting offers/rejections/waitlisted doesn't mean anything. Hang in there! (I wish I had better words of support though...) 

Is there anyone waiting to hear decisions (=rejections) from UPenn? I had my interview on Feb 2 but haven't heard anything from them yet. I assume I've safely landed in the rejected pool. I only applied to UPenn and Harvard (officially rejected from Harvard already) for this cycle and I'm wondering if it is time for me to discuss why I am/will be rejected and how to improve my application in this fall.

I kinda need to secure a position at an NGO asap to make sure I have a research job during my gap year....so, is it still a bit too early (and pathetic) to write UPenn that "I believe I am rejected, can you give some advice" email? (I did it to my Harvard POI and received really valuable advice~)

Hope I'm the only one here who has to do a second cycle! :D 

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Is there anyone waiting to hear decisions (=rejections) from UPenn? I had my interview on Feb 2 but haven't heard anything from them yet. I assume I've safely landed in the rejected pool. I only applied to UPenn and Harvard (officially rejected from Harvard already) for this cycle and I'm wondering if it is time for me to discuss why I am/will be rejected and how to improve my application in this fall.

I kinda need to secure a position at an NGO asap to make sure I have a research job during my gap year....so, is it still a bit too early (and pathetic) to write UPenn that "I believe I am rejected, can you give some advice" email? (I did it to my Harvard POI and received really valuable advice~)

Hope I'm the only one here who has to do a second cycle! :D 

Thanks in advance!

Hey - sorry about the bad news. I'm not sure about UPenn rejections but they did send out an invite to the visit weekend, and there were 15 invitees, so I suspect they're wrapped up. Unsure whether they waitlist. Hopefully you hear something official soon! 

1 minute ago, OHSP said:

Hey - sorry about the bad news. I'm not sure about UPenn rejections but they did send out an invite to the visit weekend, and there were 15 invitees, so I suspect they're wrapped up. Unsure whether they waitlist. Hopefully you hear something official soon! 

Thanks for the kind words! I'm international so I definitely won't be visiting anywhere (and they know that). That said, I think I am indeed rejected. :) 

51 minutes ago, AnUglyBoringNerd said:

Thanks for the kind words! I'm international so I definitely won't be visiting anywhere (and they know that). That said, I think I am indeed rejected. :) 

Yeah as a fellow international applicant the distance is a bummer. "Popping over" costs something like $2000, minimum, for me, so it's pretty unlikely I'll be doing it.