Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

5 hours ago, Sigaba said:

There's something to be said about pragmatism. What do for your dissertation doesn't have to be what you do for ever. And, as @psstein points out, interests change.

(The only reason I'm not urging you to go to SMU is because of the heat.)

Thanks. Unfortunately both schools are located in Texas and have really hot weather! Since you figured out SMU is option#2 I will announce that option#1 is UT El Paso. I have been living in the California central coast for the last four and a half years so I am spoiled when it comes to weather. I did grow up in the Inland Empire as a child so it will be reminiscent of the smoldering heat. 

I feel that it comes down to the money. While UT El Paso's PhD program is completely focused on my area of scholarship, SMU makes up in funding, gives me the time to go deep in the scholarship, and provides me the possibilities of completely changing my area. I do feel that UT El Paso has a better graduate culture over SMU and I will feel more comfortable over there. However, both schools have their merits and downfalls. 

A week ago I was dead set on SMU. UTEP was the last school to respond and made me reconsider. I swear it is more easy to make a decision when you just have one school to consider! 

4 hours ago, TMP said:

@MikeTheFronterizo  Option #2.  I agree with all the above feedback.  So what if you're a bit further away from that geographic region.  If  Option #2 is at least close to a major airport, it's just a plane hop away.  My work is in Europe and I'm middle of the country so.. I just get on the plane and head over as needed.  This is why @Sigaba's question about archives is important-- unless you're planning to do a lot of oral history interviews-- you need to be able to access the materials that will make up your dissertation.  People often ask me if I need to go to Asia to get the materials, I say no because all the materials that I need are actually not in Asia.

Your interests will change, especially if you are coming straight from undergraduate.  Even with a MA coming into the program, I never thought I'd end up having a field in gender or be really interested in the early modern period, but there you go.  

Another thing to consider-- do you need more language training?  If so, what can each school offer?  Look at the classes and resources.  For example, not all schools would offer advanced Polish but students can enroll online through a consortium to take it at another university.

Still, go with #2.

Thanks for the advice. Dallas is really centered in the middle of the country. It is only a 2.5 hour flight to my geographic area of study.

I do infact have a few different interest for dissertation topics. Both schools fill both pathways and hopefully any unforeseen interest. 

One of final five applicants at Hopkins HoS, but informed today that I was rejected. Barring a horrible experience at Wisconsin (and even with a horrible experience there), I'm going to Wisconsin.

Hi all,

I am curious if any of you have experience or opinions about the University of Georgia?  I am an admitted (with full funding) international student studying 19th Century Southern History and the faculty and resources look great but I have no peers who have attended to consult.

Thanks

5 hours ago, psstein said:

One of final five applicants at Hopkins HoS, but informed today that I was rejected. Barring a horrible experience at Wisconsin (and even with a horrible experience there), I'm going to Wisconsin.

What a bummer on the reject, but Wisconsin is a great place to do HoS--I hope you love it!

18 hours ago, MikeTheFronterizo said:

Thanks. Unfortunately both schools are located in Texas and have really hot weather! Since you figured out SMU is option#2 I will announce that option#1 is UT El Paso. I have been living in the California central coast for the last four and a half years so I am spoiled when it comes to weather. I did grow up in the Inland Empire as a child so it will be reminiscent of the smoldering heat. 

I feel that it comes down to the money. While UT El Paso's PhD program is completely focused on my area of scholarship, SMU makes up in funding, gives me the time to go deep in the scholarship, and provides me the possibilities of completely changing my area. I do feel that UT El Paso has a better graduate culture over SMU and I will feel more comfortable over there. However, both schools have their merits and downfalls. 

A week ago I was dead set on SMU. UTEP was the last school to respond and made me reconsider. I swear it is more easy to make a decision when you just have one school to consider! 

Hey, I don't know if it really matters or not, but I've lived in Texas all my life and can tell you Dallas isn't too awful weather-wise. I mean, yeah July-August kind of sucks, but I know this past summer they didn't get tooo high in heat up there. Also, while I was searching for grad schools, I had about four professors recommend SMU, and I've heard pretty good things friends who've gone there. I didn't apply because I'd rather get out of Texas, but if I had considered in-state schools, it would have been near the top of the list. 

I was further contacted by the program director at UT El Paso about questions I had regarding funding. They stated that during the fifth year many candidates receive guaranteed funding either through internal fellowships, TAships, and competitive awards that many PhD students usually get. They also mentioned about the ability to design and teach classes during the said time at the program. In addition they offered to fly me out for a day to look at the school and the program. I was also told about the TA duties which regard 20 hours a week. Apparently they only require attendance a few hours a week, office hours, email availability, and grading a few times a semester. He essentially alluded to the fact that it doesn't even take 20 hours a week to fulfil these duties.

I am really torn between both programs. UTEP has better placement and most grad students look as if they have overwhelming support. Most of them also have publications in journals. UTEP also has a yearly borderlands conference that many scholars in the field attend. UTEP grad students are an integral part in making this conference happen. A potential plus when networking with scholars at multiple universities. In addition I will have a $5,000 award to fund my research and travel during my fourth year. 

SMU is offering a better package. While both schools aren't super prestigious, SMU is definitely the bigger name. Though, the UTEP program is more respected in terms of my field. 

One major thing I have noticed is that history grad students at SMU do seem to just be an "afterthought" as someone mentioned before. Their program also seems to be struggling in terms of awarding PhDs and placement. (Did not have any PhD awarded last year or seem to have placements). We all know how the market is right now and UTEP graduates seems to have tenure, adjunct, and lecturer jobs lined up after graduating or a few years after. 

I am not sure what will be more marketable once I get a PhD. UTEP potentially offers TAship, course teaching, funded research and travel, and networking every year at conferences. As well as a very good POI name recognition in my field.  SMU offers course teaching, school recognition, obtainable funds for research and travel, and more "unorganized time" dedicated to my studies. 

I think I am just going to take the opportunity to visit UTEP and get a good feel of the program as possible. 

16 hours ago, Globex said:

I am curious if any of you have experience or opinions about the University of Georgia?  I am an admitted (with full funding) international student studying 19th Century Southern History and the faculty and resources look great but I have no peers who have attended to consult.

A good resource are grad students. Try contacting one or two asking concrete questions. This is, instead of "what are your resources" something like "do you have good access to databases"? You could ask about shared resources with nearby universities such as Georgia State and Emory. I'm sure there is some kind of southern consortium so you could ask about access to other campuses' resources (my school has it with other schools here). 

19 hours ago, Globex said:

Hi all,

Thanks

Scott Nelson is a phenomenal scholar and (from what I heard from my fellow undergrads at his previous institution) a pretty nice guy.

I don't know much about the university proper, but I've been told that they're investing a lot of money into becoming a better, more well-recognized history program. It seems like a great place to go if you're into Southern history.

1 hour ago, psstein said:

Scott Nelson is a phenomenal scholar and (from what I heard from my fellow undergrads at his previous institution) a pretty nice guy.

I agree 100% 

Anyone else still waiting on results? I have yet to hear back from three schools still, and am eager to know what's going on. When is it acceptable to email and ask? I'd like to know what kind of living arrangements I should be making!

8 minutes ago, russianblue said:

Anyone else still waiting on results? I have yet to hear back from three schools still, and am eager to know what's going on. When is it acceptable to email and ask? I'd like to know what kind of living arrangements I should be making!

I'm waiting for something official from two programs (UofChicago and Rutgers), but figure both are implied rejections. I have acceptances from a handful of other programs that are better fits, so I decided against emailing to inquire. But I think it's late enough in the season that I would be comfortable emailing either the DGS or POIs about results.

I'm definitely itching to make a decision though - hoping visits to UVa and Emory next week clear things up for me. 

1 minute ago, ThisGreatFolly said:

I'm waiting for something official from two programs (UofChicago and Rutgers), but figure both are implied rejections. I have acceptances from a handful of other programs that are better fits, so I decided against emailing to inquire. But I think it's late enough in the season that I would be comfortable emailing either the DGS or POIs about results.

I'm definitely itching to make a decision though - hoping visits to UVa and Emory next week clear things up for me. 

Myself, and two others in my cohort, received rejections from Chicago at the same time yesterday. Maybe you're on an unofficial waitlist? I suspect that's the case for me with OSU, maybe.

I feel you on that! I just want to go ahead and know so I can make my summer plans for sure. On that note, though I attended the UVA prospective students "weekend" the 26th-28th, so if you have any questions about that I may be able to help.

5 minutes ago, russianblue said:

Myself, and two others in my cohort, received rejections from Chicago at the same time yesterday. Maybe you're on an unofficial waitlist? I suspect that's the case for me with OSU, maybe.

I feel you on that! I just want to go ahead and know so I can make my summer plans for sure. On that note, though I attended the UVA prospective students "weekend" the 26th-28th, so if you have any questions about that I may be able to help.

Do you mind if I PM you about the UVA visit? I was unable to attend the official visit because of work, but was able to tack on a few days to my Emory trip to do an "unofficial" visit. 

1 minute ago, ThisGreatFolly said:

Do you mind if I PM you about the UVA visit? I was unable to attend the official visit because of work, but was able to tack on a few days to my Emory trip to do an "unofficial" visit. 

Feel free! I learned a bit about the department and Charlottesville while I was there, and already had a little familiarity with the area through family that used to live in the region.

2 hours ago, OHSP said:

Scott Nelson is amazing. And he has a lot of time for students. 

7 hours ago, AP said:

A good resource are grad students. Try contacting one or two asking concrete questions. This is, instead of "what are your resources" something like "do you have good access to databases"? You could ask about shared resources with nearby universities such as Georgia State and Emory. I'm sure there is some kind of southern consortium so you could ask about access to other campuses' resources (my school has it with other schools here). 

4 hours ago, psstein said:

I don't know much about the university proper, but I've been told that they're investing a lot of money into becoming a better, more well-recognized history program. It seems like a great place to go if you're into Southern history.

Thanks everyone! 

It does appear the UGA is investing heavily in Southern History.

I am curious what the etiquette is for 'cold-calling' a current grad student? Or should I just request the name of a graduate student from the director of graduate studies and take there advice with a heavy dose of salt? Perhaps some current grad students or people who have done this can comment.  I would, of course, like the most honest assesemnt possible and I am I little nervous the student chosen by the DGS will make a 'sales pitch'

I was accepted to Georgia State University a few weeks ago and was waitlisted for funding. Today, I got an e-mail from a POI that I'm off the waitlist. They offered me 5 years as a TA with full tuition and a very generous stipend. I've gotten my share of rejections from reach schools and I'm still waiting to hear back from one more, but I may just accept right away because GSU was one of my top choices based on their faculty. They have three professors in my field (modern Germany). My POI that i have been in contact with seems like a great person to work with for the next 5 years in addition to the awesome funding package that just made my day (and week, and month, and year). I'm beyond excited right now that all my hard work is paying off and I wanted to share this with you guys.

Also, don't give up hope. Apparently waitlist dreams do come true.

52 minutes ago, Globex said:

Thanks everyone! 

It does appear the UGA is investing heavily in Southern History.

I am curious what the etiquette is for 'cold-calling' a current grad student? Or should I just request the name of a graduate student from the director of graduate studies and take there advice with a heavy dose of salt? Perhaps some current grad students or people who have done this can comment.  I would, of course, like the most honest assesemnt possible and I am I little nervous the student chosen by the DGS will make a 'sales pitch'

@Globex

Grad students will be happy to have you in the program but their job is to give you a honest assessment of the program.  The faculty members are doing the sales-pitch.

Most grad students will be brutally honest.  The DGS will put you in touch with people who are excited about the program or in your field who are open and responsive (and patient with questions!).  It is actually best this way because these grad students are generally happy but they have-- like anyone else-- encountered bumps on the road.  Wouldn't you want to be in touch with someone with a positive attitude rather than a cranky student? I have been in touch with both sides of the fence and it can be worrisome when you meet an unhappy grad student as a prospective.  But you have to realize that their unhappiness is often their own making.

Don't worry too much about grad students-- you're looking for overall consensus.  So e-mail several, not just one or two.  You can also ask your POI for all of their students' names, not just one.

1 hour ago, TMP said:

@Globex

Grad students will be happy to have you in the program but their job is to give you a honest assessment of the program.  The faculty members are doing the sales-pitch.

Most grad students will be brutally honest.  The DGS will put you in touch with people who are excited about the program or in your field who are open and responsive (and patient with questions!).  It is actually best this way because these grad students are generally happy but they have-- like anyone else-- encountered bumps on the road.  Wouldn't you want to be in touch with someone with a positive attitude rather than a cranky student? I have been in touch with both sides of the fence and it can be worrisome when you meet an unhappy grad student as a prospective.  But you have to realize that their unhappiness is often their own making.

Don't worry too much about grad students-- you're looking for overall consensus.  So e-mail several, not just one or two.  You can also ask your POI for all of their students' names, not just one.

wonderful advice!  Thanks I will do that

3 hours ago, Globex said:

I am curious what the etiquette is for 'cold-calling' a current grad student? Or should I just request the name of a graduate student from the director of graduate studies and take there advice with a heavy dose of salt? Perhaps some current grad students or people who have done this can comment.  I would, of course, like the most honest assessment possible and I am I little nervous the student chosen by the DGS will make a 'sales pitch'

2 hours ago, TMP said:

@Globex

Honesty is important but so is perspective. A graduate student grading exams for a lower division class a month before her qualifying exams may not have the same take on her experiences that she will a year after she's passed her exams. She may have a different perspective a bit later when she really figures out how much her adviser cared about doing a good job.

Age/life experiences can also make a difference. A graduate student from a family of accomplished academics and/or professionals may see things a lot differently than someone who is the first member of her family to go to college, much less graduate school.

This is not to say that anyone's assessment should be privileged over anyone else's. This is simply to point out that the contexts of those assessments is worth knowing.

23 minutes ago, sreagin1 said:

I remember a couple of people in this thread asked about South Carolina. Decisions are finally out. I got an e-mail from the DGS this morning. I'm waitlisted, but hopeful.

Ohman. Now I'm extra nervous. I haven't heard anything yet.

20 minutes ago, a.n.d said:

Ohman. Now I'm extra nervous. I haven't heard anything yet.

I didn't mean to make you nervous! Let me qualify my post. It was a personalized e-mail from the DGS - not a copy/paste kind of e-mail, so they're probably taking their time going through each candidate. DO NOT give up just yet!