Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

6 minutes ago, AfricanusCrowther said:

I don't know if you actually did this or if this is a joke, but if you're for real, this is extremely childish. If you don't like someone's behavior on a web forum, you can complain to the moderators or simply stop reading.

Real or not, at this point, I'm going to peace out of TGC. Congrats to everyone who has heard and good luck to everyone that is waiting to hear back. 

On 3/18/2017 at 11:24 AM, Vgilante said:

I can’t imagine that the institutions where these bullies study would in any way condone what they have been doing. I have decided to make an example of Telkanuru. Therefore, I have emailed the following people at Brown - Amy Remensnyder, Robert Self and Christina Paxson about the abuse with relevant links.

Adorable! Don't take half measures, though; be sure to hit up Mike McCormick and Drew Faust at Harvard, too. I'm sure they'll be interested.

It takes an interesting set of mental gymnastics to try to anonymously doxx someone for online bullying. Hopefully you didn't sprain anything.

9 hours ago, OHSP said:

This thread is so out of hand / absurd. Did someone actually just tell on someone to the President of Brown? Is this real life? Did Grad Cafe ever exist or is it some bizarro nightmare that we collectively dreamt up in the months we've spent losing our minds over acceptances and rejections. 

I am going to cautiously wade into this debate here...

I agree with this. While bullying is of course an issue, especially online, I think at some point we need to realize as grad students and historians that we are going to run into "those people" for the rest of our careers and lives. "Those people" isn't meant to single out a certain person or type of person on here, but I just mean "those people" who rub us the wrong way. Maybe we think they're arrogant or elitist, or maybe we disagree with what they say. But that's just life, especially in academia.

I saw something somewhere once that said "arguing with a historian is like wrestling a pig in mud; eventually, you'll realize they enjoy it." Of course people are going to debate and argue! That's kind of our thing. I even wrote about my love of arguing in my SOP and in my interview the DGS mentioned it with a chuckle.

I feel for everyone who has been singled out. I agree that it has seemed that a few people have been ganged up on. And that sucks, but at the same time, suck it up, buttercup. Because I have a feeling it'll get a heck of a lot worse as time goes on.

Anyways, that's just my two cents. Hopefully people can just move on and actually get back to being a constructive board for 2017 applicants. That's what this is here for.

Well after almost a day of silence from everyone, I would like to get back on topic and see how everyone is doing.

The deadline of April 15 is fast approaching. Have most of you already committed to a program or still deciding?

I am currently waiting to visit before committing. I am going for a two day visit at the beginning of next week, however, I feel like I am already committed to this program and just want to reassure myself before pressing the "accept" button on the portal. 

6 hours ago, MikeTheFronterizo said:

Well after almost a day of silence from everyone, I would like to get back on topic and see how everyone is doing.

The deadline of April 15 is fast approaching. Have most of you already committed to a program or still deciding?

I am currently waiting to visit before committing. I am going for a two day visit at the beginning of next week, however, I feel like I am already committed to this program and just want to reassure myself before pressing the "accept" button on the portal. 

My visits changed everything so I definitely think that's the right move. I am actually really (perhaps naievely) surprised by how difficult the decision is. When I visited I thought I had one clear choice and now I am conpletely torn between two. Anyway, congrats on your acceptances and I hope that your decision is straightforward post visit!!

9 hours ago, MikeTheFronterizo said:

I'm likewise waiting to visit everywhere before choosing. I leave for the last visit tomorrow. Still wondering how that happened. 0.o But I'm still really hung up on one aspect of the first school I visited. Like the second one makes way more sense financially, and there are great professors there. But the first school had like one of the ten largest music programs in the country, and their music library was incredible. Since I'd really like to do interdisciplinary work that incorporates music, and I'd like to take some music classes to ground my studies, that's important to me. Meanwhile, the music program is pretty small at the second school. I don't know how many classes I'd be able to take and I didn't get a chance to see the music library because no one knew where it was when I was on my tour, and then when I tried to find it myself during some downtime I got lost. And as much as I'm like "second school makes sense", I'm thinking about the amazing music program and the opportunities for interdisciplinary study at the first school. I mean, people at the second school were super supportive of me wanting to work with people from other departments and bring music into my work, but I'm just not sure they have the same resources to facilitate that. Before visiting, I had no idea there was such a huge difference in that regard. I made sure to ask if I can see the music library while visiting my last school. I don't know. I really thought visiting would make things easier. But learning more about the different programs is just complicating matters. Like I've learned things I really like on both visits, as well as things that I'm a little lukewarm on. I'm hoping I'll be able to sit down with one of my mentors from undergrad to talk through some of the pros/cons. Right now, I'm just really overwhelmed and confused.

2 hours ago, angesradieux said:

I'm likewise waiting to visit everywhere before choosing. I leave for the last visit tomorrow. Still wondering how that happened. 0.o But I'm still really hung up on one aspect of the first school I visited. Like the second one makes way more sense financially, and there are great professors there. But the first school had like one of the ten largest music programs in the country, and their music library was incredible. Since I'd really like to do interdisciplinary work that incorporates music, and I'd like to take some music classes to ground my studies, that's important to me. Meanwhile, the music program is pretty small at the second school. I don't know how many classes I'd be able to take and I didn't get a chance to see the music library because no one knew where it was when I was on my tour, and then when I tried to find it myself during some downtime I got lost. And as much as I'm like "second school makes sense", I'm thinking about the amazing music program and the opportunities for interdisciplinary study at the first school. I mean, people at the second school were super supportive of me wanting to work with people from other departments and bring music into my work, but I'm just not sure they have the same resources to facilitate that. Before visiting, I had no idea there was such a huge difference in that regard. I made sure to ask if I can see the music library while visiting my last school. I don't know. I really thought visiting would make things easier. But learning more about the different programs is just complicating matters. Like I've learned things I really like on both visits, as well as things that I'm a little lukewarm on. I'm hoping I'll be able to sit down with one of my mentors from undergrad to talk through some of the pros/cons. Right now, I'm just really overwhelmed and confused.

I am pretty much in the same exact situation! My second option makes way more financial sense, but my first option offers better archival material and professors that I can work with. This option is also tailored exclusively to my area of study. 

I would suggest thinking about how integral music is to your research. If you are going to use the strengths of having a music library and an adviser from the music department in your committee then the first option seems to be your best bet. Especially, if the music library holds essential materials for your potential dissertation. Now, if music is just a sub-field that you are going to incorporate into your research then I would suggest looking into the financial strengths of the second option and potential travel to music libraries.

I still have a visit to do next week.

I'm leaning towards that school because it's in a major city with relevant archives, it's top ranked, has lots of funding, and I can take coursework in the sub-sub-fields in which I am interested.

Yet, the other school, while not ranked very high nor having graduate programs in my s-s-fs, has offered a fellowship that aligns with my public history interests and doesn't require teaching. And it's in a central location to lots of major cities with relevant archives.

(Still on the waitlist for a very highly ranked program, but I'm on the fence about accepting if I did get in, because the funding isn't as stellar as the school's reputation)

The other big issue with making a decision is that both programs are in two different disciplines. I have to decide which methodologies are best for the same research questions. :/

1 hour ago, NoirFemme said:

The other big issue with making a decision is that both programs are in two different disciplines. I have to decide which methodologies are best for the same research questions. :/

That sounds like a very tough decision! I hope that your visit next week clears up any questions or concerns you might have about doing interdisciplinary work.

1 hour ago, NoirFemme said:

Yes, but also you need to think about your professional goals beyond the program. Regardless of the market (because you cannot control it, not because it is unimportant), how do you envision yourself? What type of scholarship do you want to produce, in which environment, and for what audience? The programs are not only a matter of methodologies because in the humanities we borrow each other's methods anyway :P But I think it is important to think right from the start how a PhD in X or Y serve you better. How you are going to market yourself and your research from each program. 

18 hours ago, MikeTheFronterizo said:

I officially accepted at one of my top choices this past week. They offered me a great package for 5 years and actively courted me the last few weeks to the point where i couldn't say no. I'm really excited for next year and am glad to hear most of us are in the decision making process (i think a good problem to have is having to decide between places).

For those still in limbo or on a wait list - I hope you guys get good news sooner rather than later!

22 minutes ago, Reaglejuice89 said:

I officially accepted at one of my top choices this past week. They offered me a great package for 5 years and actively courted me the last few weeks to the point where i couldn't say no. I'm really excited for next year and am glad to hear most of us are in the decision making process (i think a good problem to have is having to decide between places).

For those still in limbo or on a wait list - I hope you guys get good news sooner rather than later!

So many congratulations to you! Go kick some ass ?.

3 hours ago, MikeTheFronterizo said:

That sounds like a very tough decision! I hope that your visit next week clears up any questions or concerns you might have about doing interdisciplinary work.

Thanks! I actually do interdisciplinary work right now, but the waitlist is the only interdisciplinary program to which I was accepted. Hence why I'm torn between whether to go History or go English. 

3 hours ago, AP said:

Yes, but also you need to think about your professional goals beyond the program. Regardless of the market (because you cannot control it, not because it is unimportant), how do you envision yourself? What type of scholarship do you want to produce, in which environment, and for what audience? The programs are not only a matter of methodologies because in the humanities we borrow each other's methods anyway :P But I think it is important to think right from the start how a PhD in X or Y serve you better. How you are going to market yourself and your research from each program. 

Well that's the thing--I am incredibly interdisciplinary.

My A.S. is in Anthropology, and my undergrad degrees are in American Studies & public history. My research has been in cultural studies, digital humanities, and museums. I am going on to combine my public humanities work with Global US & African Diaspora studies.

I can easily do both English and History, so my concern with the job market is not about there being no jobs but that I don't have a ton of interest in being a plain history or English professor (survey courses, composition courses...o__O).

Both programs are super eager to support my interdisciplinary research through coursework and financial remuneration. I just don't know how to decide between them.

Edited by NoirFemme

18 minutes ago, NoirFemme said:

Thanks! I actually do interdisciplinary work right now, but the waitlist is the only interdisciplinary program to which I was accepted. Hence why I'm torn between whether to go History or go English. 

Well that's the thing--I am incredibly interdisciplinary.

My A.S. is in Anthropology, and my undergrad degrees are in American Studies & public history. My research has been in cultural studies, digital humanities, and museums. I am going on to combine my public humanities work with Global US & African Diaspora studies.

I can easily do both English and History, so my concern with the job market is not about there being no jobs but that I don't have a ton of interest in being a plain history or English professor (survey courses, composition courses...o__O).

Both programs are super eager to support my interdisciplinary research through coursework and financial remuneration. I just don't know how to decide between them.

Oh, I thought 'the other' was in Interdisciplinary Studies. Well, since you have read so much, you probably can tell the difference between research in both departments. In my field, we often get carried away by the Anthro/ethno part of the project and our advisors our always asking: "why is this a history dissertation?" It is not that they don't want us to be interdisciplinary, but at the end of the day we have to be coherent between research and field. So, what type of research do you want to do? [Oh, I know it is easier to ask than to be asked this!!!]

Also, have looked into the possibility of certificates within your programs? 

Finally, I don't know everybody else's but my coursework experience has been intensely interdisciplinary. I'm sure you've had that experience too, given your interests, so it is highly difficult to see you not crossing methodological boundaries :) 

What other things can you weight in?

1 hour ago, AP said:

Oh, I thought 'the other' was in Interdisciplinary Studies. Well, since you have read so much, you probably can tell the difference between research in both departments. In my field, we often get carried away by the Anthro/ethno part of the project and our advisors our always asking: "why is this a history dissertation?" It is not that they don't want us to be interdisciplinary, but at the end of the day we have to be coherent between research and field. So, what type of research do you want to do? [Oh, I know it is easier to ask than to be asked this!!!]

Also, have looked into the possibility of certificates within your programs? 

Finally, I don't know everybody else's but my coursework experience has been intensely interdisciplinary. I'm sure you've had that experience too, given your interests, so it is highly difficult to see you not crossing methodological boundaries :) 

What other things can you weight in?

Ha! Yes. In my history papers, I'd have to argue for the presence of literature as a source, and in English, I'd struggle with making sure the historical contextuality didn't overpower the literary analysis. 

I believe I have a firm grip on the type of research I do; both programs have scholars who ask similar questions. However, the history program does have robust certificates that allow me to interact outside of the department.