Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

19 hours ago, MikeTheFronterizo said:

I am pretty much in the same exact situation! My second option makes way more financial sense, but my first option offers better archival material and professors that I can work with. This option is also tailored exclusively to my area of study. 

I would suggest thinking about how integral music is to your research. If you are going to use the strengths of having a music library and an adviser from the music department in your committee then the first option seems to be your best bet. Especially, if the music library holds essential materials for your potential dissertation. Now, if music is just a sub-field that you are going to incorporate into your research then I would suggest looking into the financial strengths of the second option and potential travel to music libraries.

Thanks for the advice. The second option's offer includes a year of no classes or TA responsibilities. That year of no on campus obligations gives me the freedom to travel as much as I need to, so even if there music library is underwhelming I can get to others. I guess it's hard because they do have some resources. There's a musicologist on the history faculty who I'd be able to work with, and there is someone from the music department I could also work with. But, the course offerings within the music department are limited, so while the history department would allow me to take classes in other departments, if I wanted to take a music theory or music history course as a refresher, availability might make it difficult to fit in. Because the other school's music program is so large, it would just be easier to find things that work. Also, it has no real impact on my work, they have a phenomenal performing arts center that's drawn in some of my favorite opera singers, and it's also 2-3 hours away from a major opera house. Having been rather spoiled being not too far from New York and having Broadway and the Metropolitan Opera within a 1.5-2 hour trip, I've been concerned that going to grad school would effectively cut me off from theater. Meanwhile, the school where I'm being offered better funding is in a city where there are occasional operas and ballets, but the reviews from people I've spoken to were less than stellar. Apparently there's a wonderful symphony, but that's about it, so I won't have many opportunities to be around theater. Again, being able to go see operas and stuff isn't anything crucial to my research, but it's something I'd have a bit of a hard time giving up. But, with a much smaller stipend and more TAing, would I have either the funds or the time to get to any of those wonderful operas or concerts? I don't know.

I don't know. I guess it's a choice between more money, less TAing, but fewer resources for interdisciplinary study and lackluster theater and less money, more TAing, but a great music program that I can take advantage of, and some interesting theater. It's tough. I don't want to be in grad school forever, so I'm leaning towards the option that offers more financial security and allows me more time to work on my dissertation, thereby letting me finish more quickly. I was talking about it to someone else, and as I was kind of talking myself into that option, he said "Yes. Keep talking yourself into it. It sounds great." But the music program is a big hang up for me. Probably more so than it should be from a purely logical standpoint.

And this isn't even taking into consideration the third program I'm considering. But I haven't visited that one yet, so I don't have as clear a picture of the department and its resources as I do for the others. I guess I'll be able to weigh this one against the others more effectively after I get back from the visit. Maybe I'll get there and I'll hate it? But I'm more inclined to believe I'll get there, find out some really neat things, and still be hopelessly torn. This last one is the highest ranked of the three, so there's that to consider. However, my mentors from undergrad told me that this one is a little more prestigious than the others, but their reputations are all in the same ballpark, so any difference in the rankings isn't really significant enough to be a huge factor in the decision.

They also told me I was going to have a really hard time choosing, because I'd get to all of these schools, look around, and totally be able to see myself going to any one of them. And as much as I wish they weren't, they were totally right!

On 3/18/2017 at 0:16 PM, AfricanusCrowther said:

I don't know if you actually did this or if this is a joke, but if you're for real, this is extremely childish.

Either they didn't or it went right into the spam folder, just FYI.

2 hours ago, usiwenawasiwasi said:

Accepted to Oxford BUT no funding. Hmm...

Don't UK funding decisions come out later in the year?

1 hour ago, telkanuru said:

Don't UK funding decisions come out later in the year?

That's what I thought. When I did my masters at Edinburgh I did not find out about my funding until about three months after I was accepted. If I recall the acceptance came sometime in January, funding didn't come in until the Spring. It was a long wait.

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

That's what I thought. When I did my masters at Edinburgh I did not find out about my funding until about three months after I was accepted. If I recall the acceptance came sometime in January, funding didn't come in until the Spring. It was a long wait.

Oh that is very good to know! It said in the letter that I needed to show I could cover first year to accept the offer, but it seems that there is another college offer coming with a financial form attached. I also read that applicants are automatically considered for a range of university scholarships, but I haven't heard anything. Obviously, I contacted the dept. and am waiting a response.

All in all, I can't bring myself to say no to an offer from Oxford so I am going to get to fundraising!

Edited by usiwenawasiwasi

3 hours ago, usiwenawasiwasi said:

Oh that is very good to know! It said in the letter that I needed to show I could cover first year to accept the offer, but it seems that there is another college offer coming with a financial form attached. I also read that applicants are automatically considered for a range of university scholarships, but I haven't heard anything. Obviously, I contacted the dept. and am waiting a response.

All in all, I can't bring myself to say no to an offer from Oxford so I am going to get to fundraising!

When I went over for my Masters, I was also asked for proof that I could cover the first year... not only did I have to prove it to the university but I needed it for my visa as well. I think this is more of an international student thing and not necessarily a reflection of potential funding. I've read on the websites of several universities in the US that they also have the same requirement for international students regardless of funding status. So I wouldn't worry about your particular funding until you find out for sure. 

PM me if you have any questions about the UK system, getting your visa, etc. been there done that! 

So I haven't posted in a while, but I just found out I got tuition/stipend/health insurance for 5 years at my top choice program.

Coincidentally, I only applied to one, so I guess you could say I have a 100% PhD acceptance rate. B) 

1 hour ago, emhafe said:

So I haven't posted in a while, but I just found out I got tuition/stipend/health insurance for 5 years at my top choice program.

Coincidentally, I only applied to one, so I guess you could say I have a 100% PhD acceptance rate. B) 

Where did you get into?

On 3/23/2017 at 7:49 AM, angesradieux said:

Thanks for the advice. The second option's offer includes a year of no classes or TA responsibilities. That year of no on campus obligations gives me the freedom to travel as much as I need to, so even if there music library is underwhelming I can get to others. I guess it's hard because they do have some resources. There's a musicologist on the history faculty who I'd be able to work with, and there is someone from the music department I could also work with. But, the course offerings within the music department are limited, so while the history department would allow me to take classes in other departments, if I wanted to take a music theory or music history course as a refresher, availability might make it difficult to fit in. Because the other school's music program is so large, it would just be easier to find things that work. Also, it has no real impact on my work, they have a phenomenal performing arts center that's drawn in some of my favorite opera singers, and it's also 2-3 hours away from a major opera house. Having been rather spoiled being not too far from New York and having Broadway and the Metropolitan Opera within a 1.5-2 hour trip, I've been concerned that going to grad school would effectively cut me off from theater. Meanwhile, the school where I'm being offered better funding is in a city where there are occasional operas and ballets, but the reviews from people I've spoken to were less than stellar. Apparently there's a wonderful symphony, but that's about it, so I won't have many opportunities to be around theater. Again, being able to go see operas and stuff isn't anything crucial to my research, but it's something I'd have a bit of a hard time giving up. But, with a much smaller stipend and more TAing, would I have either the funds or the time to get to any of those wonderful operas or concerts? I don't know.

I don't know. I guess it's a choice between more money, less TAing, but fewer resources for interdisciplinary study and lackluster theater and less money, more TAing, but a great music program that I can take advantage of, and some interesting theater. It's tough. I don't want to be in grad school forever, so I'm leaning towards the option that offers more financial security and allows me more time to work on my dissertation, thereby letting me finish more quickly. I was talking about it to someone else, and as I was kind of talking myself into that option, he said "Yes. Keep talking yourself into it. It sounds great." But the music program is a big hang up for me. Probably more so than it should be from a purely logical standpoint.

And this isn't even taking into consideration the third program I'm considering. But I haven't visited that one yet, so I don't have as clear a picture of the department and its resources as I do for the others. I guess I'll be able to weigh this one against the others more effectively after I get back from the visit. Maybe I'll get there and I'll hate it? But I'm more inclined to believe I'll get there, find out some really neat things, and still be hopelessly torn. This last one is the highest ranked of the three, so there's that to consider. However, my mentors from undergrad told me that this one is a little more prestigious than the others, but their reputations are all in the same ballpark, so any difference in the rankings isn't really significant enough to be a huge factor in the decision.

They also told me I was going to have a really hard time choosing, because I'd get to all of these schools, look around, and totally be able to see myself going to any one of them. And as much as I wish they weren't, they were totally right!

@angesradieux It sounds like you're leaning toward the school with the better music program if it's that big of a "hang up" for you, as you say. My adviser suggested that if there was something weighing heavy on me like that to ignore the financials and choose the program that seemed to "speak" to me the most (so long as I could feasibly afford to live on the money). If you want to study music history, go to the school that does that in a bigger way. You're going to school to become an expert in something -- choose the school that allows you to do that. 

Hi all! So I have a question and update. Since I'm not making a decision exactly yet, I decided to post here rather than the Decisions Thread. I don't want to go into too much details (at least not yet) but I was admitted to one program and waitlisted at the other. The first one is a school of average reputation with a US history program that is certainly not the most prestigious, yet not terrible. Their financial package was certainly not anything to gloat about, but it is something and I would be able to make due with external funds and the potential for additional funds later on. Where they do shine is that the prof who would be my adviser seems perfectly aligned with my interests and, while not the biggest name in the industry, is the type of person who would do everything they can to help me succeed.

The school I am waitlisted for obviously hasn't told me what their financial resources are, but even my potential adviser at School #1 very candidly let me know that an offer from the waitlist school would likely be much more. Additionally, my potential adviser there is a bigger name while still seems like someone fairly dedicated to their students.

I reached out to my waitlisted school to ask if they had a deadline by which I might know for sure ether way regarding my decision (not realizing that April 15 was indeed the universal decision deadline). They let me know today that they hoped to send out offers to waitlisted students next week but nothing was set in stone and they sometimes have offers extended on the 15th. They then asked what my status is and if I am considering other programs.

How much detail should I provide in my response? Should I let them know the exact school I have an offer from? Because it is not as prestigious, I wouldn't want it to diminish how they view me at School #2. I may be over thinking all of this, but I don't want to seem rude to either program and certainly don't want to make it seem like I am using anything as leverage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 hour ago, Antebellum said:

The first one is a school of average reputation with a US history program that is certainly not the most prestigious, yet not terrible. Their financial package was certainly not anything to gloat about, but it is something and I would be able to make due with external funds and the potential for additional funds later on. Where they do shine is that the prof who would be my adviser seems perfectly aligned with my interests and, while not the biggest name in the industry, is the type of person who would do everything they can to help me succeed.

The AmHist job market right now is particularly brutal - recent data shows overproduction of PhDs by a ratio of 3 or 4 for every TT job posting. In fact, the vast majority of overproduction of history PhDs is in the form of Americanists, as European historians are somewhere between a 3:2 and a 2:1 deficit, while Asian historians pretty much have parity (or are even under-producing). 

Regardless of this professor's willingness to fight for you, which is certainly an admirable quality, or the similarity of your interests, which can be a mixed bag at best, you would be wise to question whether or not this school's offer package is one which will enable you to succeed in finding a job. If not, I would strongly suggest you not take it, regardless of the response from the second school. 

Stating your offer to either school should not diminish how they view you. Why would it? You got into their program, which I assume they perceive as better, so it's natural that you would also be sought by programs they consider worse. And why on earth wouldn't you want to use anything as leverage? This is the last time you're able to bargain from a position of relative strength for a long time. 

Hi there! Starting Fall 2017 in a MA Public History program. Very excited to get started!

My historical focus is the History of Science, with interests in scientific illustrations, Ancient Egyptian medicine and science, the relationship between science, magic, and religion, astronomy, paleontology, and mortuary science. I hope to obtain a career in a museum of natural history or science in exhibit creation, interpretation, and public programming. I also hope to complete a PhD, just not sure if I will right after my Masters or later one after I am in the workforce. 

Edited by seh0517

fyi I turned down an offer from UCSB, it was suggested this opened up funds for someone else. Hope that helps someone! 

5 hours ago, Antebellum said:

Hi all! So I have a question and update. Since I'm not making a decision exactly yet, I decided to post here rather than the Decisions Thread. I don't want to go into too much details (at least not yet) but I was admitted to one program and waitlisted at the other. The first one is a school of average reputation with a US history program that is certainly not the most prestigious, yet not terrible. Their financial package was certainly not anything to gloat about, but it is something and I would be able to make due with external funds and the potential for additional funds later on. Where they do shine is that the prof who would be my adviser seems perfectly aligned with my interests and, while not the biggest name in the industry, is the type of person who would do everything they can to help me succeed.

The school I am waitlisted for obviously hasn't told me what their financial resources are, but even my potential adviser at School #1 very candidly let me know that an offer from the waitlist school would likely be much more. Additionally, my potential adviser there is a bigger name while still seems like someone fairly dedicated to their students.

I reached out to my waitlisted school to ask if they had a deadline by which I might know for sure ether way regarding my decision (not realizing that April 15 was indeed the universal decision deadline). They let me know today that they hoped to send out offers to waitlisted students next week but nothing was set in stone and they sometimes have offers extended on the 15th. They then asked what my status is and if I am considering other programs.

How much detail should I provide in my response? Should I let them know the exact school I have an offer from? Because it is not as prestigious, I wouldn't want it to diminish how they view me at School #2. I may be over thinking all of this, but I don't want to seem rude to either program and certainly don't want to make it seem like I am using anything as leverage. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tell the waitlist school point blank that you have a full-funding offer from School X and you would strongly prefer to attend their program.  Leave it at that.  They'll scramble if they want you.  It would be different if the waitlist program isn't as prestigious as the offering program.  You're in a good position.

9 hours ago, Antebellum said:

Whereabouts is this second school? I'm about to turn down a few offers (after struggling to make a decision) and I'm sure there are other people in the same boat. 

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

When is everyone thinking they will make their final decisions - if you haven't done so already? I have notice a lot of people considering offers down to the wire.

As a follow up, what does everyone think about the realistic timeline for being informed from the waitlist? I've stopped following up with my two schools. I'm honestly operating under the assumption that I'm not getting in. I know of two people who turned down offers in the last two weeks to my top choice, and considering that I didn't get a phone call about any open spots, I'm assuming that I was not as high on the waitlist as I was led to believe. I know April 15th is two weeks away, but it does seem as though both schools would know something by now. I'm considering withdrawing from the waitlists and moving on at this point.

I am meeting with one school on Monday because I was invited up there...but considering I have not heard anything concrete, I feel like it is more an opportunity to discuss possibly applying next  year, which I will not be doing.

3 minutes ago, SarahBethSortino said:

I know April 15th is two weeks away, but it does seem as though both schools would know something by now. I'm considering withdrawing from the waitlists and moving on at this point.

That seems like something you might regret in the future -- there will always be the "what if I didn't withdraw" question... I think you should stick it out til the end!