Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

3 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

I'm feeling bolstered by my meeting at the university yesterday. I don't have any more actual information regarding my particular situation, but I was told that there are people who have not responded to their acceptances and that the school is actively reaching out to get a gauge on where their decisions might stand. People are taking a very long time and at least one person is waiting to see how their own waitlist situation pans out before making a decision. BUT, I was told that the meeting wouldn't even be happening if there wasn't a very good chance things would work out for me. So although I'm still stressed and frustrated, I'm feeling a little better knowing that I have all the information I can possibly have right now.

That sounds pretty hopeful, to me. :) That seems like the sort of verbiage they used with me, and I ended up getting in. I think I mentioned it, but I was waitlisted at the program I'm now at.

6 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

I'm feeling bolstered by my meeting at the university yesterday. I don't have any more actual information regarding my particular situation, but I was told that there are people who have not responded to their acceptances and that the school is actively reaching out to get a gauge on where their decisions might stand. People are taking a very long time and at least one person is waiting to see how their own waitlist situation pans out before making a decision. BUT, I was told that the meeting wouldn't even be happening if there wasn't a very good chance things would work out for me. So although I'm still stressed and frustrated, I'm feeling a little better knowing that I have all the information I can possibly have right now.

I think you have a shot. I got nudged by a program to make a decision, and the waitlist was referenced as a reason to not wait until the end of the decision period. It was the push I needed to stop hemming and hawing over where I'm going. I can imagine getting a similar email will make the stragglers say yes or no as well.

Good luck!

12 hours ago, NoirFemme said:

I think you have a shot. I got nudged by a program to make a decision, and the waitlist was referenced as a reason to not wait until the end of the decision period. It was the push I needed to stop hemming and hawing over where I'm going. I can imagine getting a similar email will make the stragglers say yes or no as well.

Good luck!

Thanks. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but the meeting definitely calmed me down a little bit. If I go the next 10 days believing it's all in the bag, the disappointment will be twice as bad, but at least for now I know I've done everything I could possibly do.

7 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Thanks. I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high, but the meeting definitely calmed me down a little bit. If I go the next 10 days believing it's all in the bag, the disappointment will be twice as bad, but at least for now I know I've done everything I could possibly do.

Don't give up! I'm sending positive thoughts. 

12 minutes ago, SarahBethSortino said:

FINALLY! Just got an email from the director of Graduate Studies at Brandeis. Off the wait list and I have a real actual official offer in hand.

Great news! Glad you finally got some good news. So where ya headed?

3 minutes ago, nhhistorynut said:

Great news! Glad you finally got some good news. So where ya headed?

Goin to Brandeis. It's a dream program, dream offer. With 5 rejections it was still the best case scenario. I loved it from the moment I started researching schools and I can't believe THIS is the school that accepted me.

58 minutes ago, SarahBethSortino said:

FINALLY! Just got an email from the director of Graduate Studies at Brandeis. Off the wait list and I have a real actual official offer in hand.

I am glad to hear that things worked or so well. 

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Congratulations!

1 hour ago, SarahBethSortino said:

That's fantastic! Congrats! 

3 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Congrats!  See, we told you to keep your name on the list!  Enjoy Boston :)

14 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! I knew it!!!!!!!! CONGRATSSSSS The waiting torture is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you have the exciting task of planning the move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!

47 minutes ago, AP said:

YAYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! I knew it!!!!!!!! CONGRATSSSSS The waiting torture is over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now you have the exciting task of planning the move!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!

I'm so excited!!!! All I wanted was to start going on this instead of treading water. I can actually start doing what I need to do now. I'm beyond happy right now!!!

19 hours ago, SarahBethSortino said:

Goin to Brandeis. It's a dream program, dream offer. With 5 rejections it was still the best case scenario. I loved it from the moment I started researching schools and I can't believe THIS is the school that accepted me.

Congratulations and good luck!

On 4/7/2017 at 10:29 PM, SarahBethSortino said:

I'm so excited!!!! All I wanted was to start going on this instead of treading water. I can actually start doing what I need to do now. I'm beyond happy right now!!!

I haven't posted before on this thread (I think), but I've watched it closely and have been following your ordeal this application season. Just wanted to chime in and say I'm really happy things worked out for you. I'll be going to Hopkins this fall, so it looks like we both made it! Congratulations.

6 hours ago, kindkw123 said:

I haven't posted before on this thread (I think), but I've watched it closely and have been following your ordeal this application season. Just wanted to chime in and say I'm really happy things worked out for you. I'll be going to Hopkins this fall, so it looks like we both made it! Congratulations.

Very exciting to be going to Hopkins! It was one of the places I considered many years ago - didn't end up going, but Bill and Tobie seemed absolutely wonderful as advisors, and it's a really terrific program.

So lovely to see so much joy here today!! :) Haven't been posting much either but I've been following this thread and I'm just so very happy for all of you who are going to all of these amazing places!

Meanwhile, I have been fortunate enough to be admitted to the MPhil in British and European History at Oxford (I was completely floored tbh), and am awaiting funding decisions anxiously. In the event that I don't get any funding, I doubt that I will be able to attend, and will most likely head to the University of Edinburgh instead. Although I'll have to give it some serious thought before I make a final decision! Either way, I'll be very happy to attend either one of those institutions.

Edited by Karou

I finally heard from someone at London.  They found my background "interesting" (they obviously went to charm school for that), and would process my application once my second rec came.  For reasons unexplained, my thesis advisor hadn't already submitted one there, so I got my master's program director to forward one over instead.  

The tone of the note made it sound like an acceptance  unless something weird comes up.  

Edited by Concordia

1 hour ago, Karou said:

So lovely to see so much joy here today!! :) Haven't been posting much either but I've been following this thread and I'm just so very happy for all of you who are going to all of these amazing places!

Meanwhile, I have been fortunate enough to be admitted to the MPhil in British and European History at Oxford (I was completely floored tbh), and am awaiting funding decisions anxiously. In the event that I don't get any funding, I doubt that I will be able to attend, and will most likely head to the University of Edinburgh instead. Although I'll have to give it some serious thought before I make a final decision! Either way, I'll be very happy to attend either one of those institutions.

PM me if you have any questions about Edinburgh. Did my masters there about 10 years ago. Always happy to tell people about it