Fall 2017 applicants

NoirFemme

On 4/8/2017 at 7:55 PM, SarahBethSortino said:

PM me if you have any questions about Edinburgh. Did my masters there about 10 years ago. Always happy to tell people about it

Thank you, that's very kind of you! I very well may take you up on your offer once this semester from hell is over and I have time to sit down and actually consider my options. However, I have a sneaking suspicion that I'll be happiest in Edinburgh and that this is where I'll end up, so I will most likely come to you with questions sometime soon! I mean, practically speaking Oxford would probably open more doors but my intuition is saying "go to Edinburgh" VERY loudly. Sorry, musing out loud here.

Thank you, and congrats again on Brandeis! :)

Edited by Karou

On 2017/4/7 at 7:12 AM, SarahBethSortino said:

FINALLY! Just got an email from the director of Graduate Studies at Brandeis. Off the wait list and I have a real actual official offer in hand.

Congrats!!!!!!!! So happy for you!!! :D

Hi everyone! I had applied for PhD programs in Social Intervention/Education at Oxford and Edinburgh. Received offers from both, and a scholarship from Edinburgh (awaiting funding decisions from Oxford).

In the meantime, I have a query about doing a PhD at Edinburgh if anybody here has an insight into it! Does anyone know/have an idea of the residency requirements there? My partner works in London, so I'd ideally like to move in with him after my fieldwork is completed in my second year of the PhD, and then write up my PhD from there. Does anyone know if this is possible and whether there are any procedures to make this happen? Do you feel that Edinburgh Uni will be fine with someone moving away for the final 1 - 1.5 years of their PhD?

On 4/10/2017 at 7:40 PM, plankton890 said:

Hi everyone! I had applied for PhD programs in Social Intervention/Education at Oxford and Edinburgh. Received offers from both, and a scholarship from Edinburgh (awaiting funding decisions from Oxford).

In the meantime, I have a query about doing a PhD at Edinburgh if anybody here has an insight into it! Does anyone know/have an idea of the residency requirements there? My partner works in London, so I'd ideally like to move in with him after my fieldwork is completed in my second year of the PhD, and then write up my PhD from there. Does anyone know if this is possible and whether there are any procedures to make this happen? Do you feel that Edinburgh Uni will be fine with someone moving away for the final 1 - 1.5 years of their PhD?

I think @SarahBethSortino studied at Edinburgh for her Master's. You may want to contact her as she likely has valuable insight into this (or if not, who to contact to ask these questions). 

I was looking at schedules for next fall and it looks like if I get either of my first two TA schedule choices I'll only have 2 days where I have on-campus activities. I was telling my cousin, who has her PhD in marine biology, how it was exciting and should leave me plenty of time for reading/writing/grading. Her response was that I "have all the bright-eyed optimism of a newly admitted PhD student who's yet to start her coursework" lol.

Made me laugh so I figured I'd share.

I finally, finally, finally accepted NYU and declined UPenn. Declining what I thought was my dream school = the worst part of this entire process. But I'm happy to be going to the school that, as it (shockingly) turns out, is probably the best fit. 

Edited by OHSP

11 hours ago, nhhistorynut said:

I was looking at schedules for next fall and it looks like if I get either of my first two TA schedule choices I'll only have 2 days where I have on-campus activities. I was telling my cousin, who has her PhD in marine biology, how it was exciting and should leave me plenty of time for reading/writing/grading. Her response was that I "have all the bright-eyed optimism of a newly admitted PhD student who's yet to start her coursework" lol.

Made me laugh so I figured I'd share.

Ha! I admit that I was starry-eyed over my future TA duties (not required during Yr 1, however) until my adviser checked me. 

41 minutes ago, NoirFemme said:

Ha! I admit that I was starry-eyed over my future TA duties (not required during Yr 1, however) until my adviser checked me. 

I'm a bit excited for TAing, myself! I'm sure after the first week the reality of it all will set in lol but for now I'm looking forward to getting some teaching experience. Year one I'll be leading three discussion sections that go along with a larger lecture, so I'll have about 45 kids total to grade and such.

The funny thing about my school is that I start TAing day one...and also have to take a 1 credit course on *how* to teach college history at the same time :)

1 hour ago, nhhistorynut said:

The funny thing about my school is that I start TAing day one...and also have to take a 1 credit course on *how* to teach college history at the same time :)

As long as the 1-credit course stays a week ahead of the other one, you'll be fine.

1 hour ago, nhhistorynut said:

I'm a bit excited for TAing, myself! I'm sure after the first week the reality of it all will set in lol but for now I'm looking forward to getting some teaching experience. Year one I'll be leading three discussion sections that go along with a larger lecture, so I'll have about 45 kids total to grade and such.

Actually, that's not unusual.  That's good approach to helping new TAs adjust to teaching (especially the culture and make up of the student body at your particular institution).  There's almost always a "TA orientation" prior to the start of classes to get students hit the ground running when those undergrads walk in.  No undergrad wants to see an unprepared TA.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

There's almost always a "TA orientation" prior to the start of classes to get students hit the ground running when those undergrads walk in.

Yes we have one about a week before classes start, so that'll be good. It's for ALL incoming TAs and grad assistants in general, but the history cohort will meet with the grad director that afternoon, as well, to go over some specifics. I'm definitely getting excited!

16 hours ago, Antebellum said:

Hi everyone! I am happy to announce that I will be attending the University of Tennessee this fall! If anyone else is heading that way feel free to PM me. I guess I should prepare to listen to the sounds of Rocky Top... *shudders*

Congratulations! I took a good long look there for European history before I decided to do an MA elsewhere rather than committing to a PhD. Knoxville is an excellent city!

Edited by Gotya64

I haven't been able to follow this thread as well as I hoped I would have been able to, but I want to throw out a blanket congratulations to everyone in this thread. :)

Congratulations! At the very least, the bulk of application season is more or less complete.

5 hours ago, nhhistorynut said:

I'm excited too, but my adviser gently reminded me about my research taking precedence. And that since my research crosses geographic boundaries & disciplines, I ought to be extra conscious of my time to completion!! :blink:

My program requires one pedagogical course, which can be taken anytime after the first year. 

On 4/12/2017 at 3:37 PM, Antebellum said:

Hi everyone! I am happy to announce that I will be attending the University of Tennessee this fall! If anyone else is heading that way feel free to PM me. I guess I should prepare to listen to the sounds of Rocky Top... *shudders*

Congrats! I'm still on the funding wait-list, but am hoping I'll also be headed to UTK in the fall!

Sadness. No new students are coming into the program I'm in next semester. :D 

One of the problems of a relatively small program is that if your funded offers get rejected, there's not much else one can do.

On 4/12/2017 at 2:50 PM, nevermind said:

I think @SarahBethSortino studied at Edinburgh for her Master's. You may want to contact her as she likely has valuable insight into this (or if not, who to contact to ask these questions). 

Sure did! Happy to answer any questions for anyone considering Edinburgh