Hi,

So I've pretty much decided that I will take a gap year in between graduation and starting graduate school for SLP.  I'm mostly doing this for financial reasons, but I also feel like my application would be a little too weak, and I think if I take a year to work in a job applicable to the field, it would help out a lot.

My questions for you all is: Do schools look down on taking gap years?  And what jobs might you suggest I look into to give me some applicable experience during this year?  I am hoping to work in a medical setting once I become an SLP, but I know jobs for this are few and far between, especially with just a bachelor's in CSD like I will have.  SLPA jobs are a thing in Texas, but they're hard to find.  Recommendations on different jobs would be helpful!

Don't worry about taking the time. At least half if not more of my program has 1+ years between undergrad and starting school. It shouldn't have any bearing on your application, especially if you spend it doing worthwhile experiences. It's better for you to be well prepared in your apps and give it your best shot. 

Get any job related to servicing kids like a paraprofessional or teachers aide in a school district or after school program.  also since you would rather work with the medical side you could try any job related to servicing in the medical field like a tech.  Also if you can't find a job related to the field in someway, then just try and shadow or observe/volunteer with an SLP at a SNF, School or Hospital....  even if its just like 4 hours a week.  

goof luck! :)

I would second what "Twin Guy" said. Also, consider looking into Senior Nursing Facilities. It´s more medical than schools, and they´re usually pretty desperate for staff. Also, definitely keep up with the volunteering and shadowing. In regards to that though, see if there is something you can take on as your own that could become a good experience for an SOP or LOR later. Does that make sense? Even something like offering to organize the resource library for the SLP´s in the hospital, transcribing samples, something that you can point to and say "I achieved this." If you can´t do something like that, keep a journal after every observation of what you see and learn, the conversations you have, etc, etc. This will help build a habit of reflection which will make your SOP´s easier when you sit down to write them. 

If anything, I think taking a gap year will improve your application IF you spend it getting relevant work and volunteer experience. Working in a related field will definitely give you an edge on fellow applicants who have not. Plus, it can help make you more comfortable when you get into clinic and are dealing with clients.

I'm just curious in this topic - have any of you actually been accepted into a program, and after the outcome of your schools you then decide to take a gap year and try again because you didn't get into the school you really wanted? Or is that insane to do? 

1 hour ago, koalalover1 said:

I'm just curious in this topic - have any of you actually been accepted into a program, and after the outcome of your schools you then decide to take a gap year and try again because you didn't get into the school you really wanted? Or is that insane to do? 

As general advice, I would recommend not applying to any school that you would not choose to attend if it were the only one that accepted you. You would be wasting your money and everybody's time. That said, yes, it happens, often with people asking for a deferral and hoping that a second application cycle would be more successful and using said school as backup. Again, this is not something that I would recommend, and it's totally up to the school whether or not they would grant a deferral. 

6 hours ago, fuzzylogician said:

As general advice, I would recommend not applying to any school that you would not choose to attend if it were the only one that accepted you. You would be wasting your money and everybody's time. That said, yes, it happens, often with people asking for a deferral and hoping that a second application cycle would be more successful and using said school as backup. Again, this is not something that I would recommend, and it's totally up to the school whether or not they would grant a deferral. 

Makes sense. That's what I thought too but after reading this and around the forums I just thought it would be interesting to hear some stories like that!  I already have been accepted this cycle so I don't really have to worry about that but there's always that thought of what if there's one school you really want and you don't get it the first try?!

Edited by koalalover1