Want to Apply to Neuroscience Program But GPA Is Super Low

itsjennetic

Hello fellow users,

I am a recent graduate from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I received my undergraduate through the Liberal Arts College and majored in Individual Program of Study in Neuroscience, a major that I tailored with my research professor since a neuro degree wasn't actually offered yet at U of I for undergrads. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA due to a lot of personal events and stress that occurred during my undergrad, along with being diagnosed with anxiety/depression at the end of my junior year. Despite my low GPA though, I do have about 3 years of research experience in a neurophysiology lab.

I am currently living in the Bay Area, CA and my stress levels have stabilized since graduating about 6 months ago - I am currently studying for the GRE and looking at graduate schools to apply to. I am also very interested in furthering my studies internationally. I'm very worried that my low GPA will have a huge negative impact on my application. The schools I am looking at applying to are:

- Berkeley and UCSF (I know these are a huge stretch)

- U of I in Chicago and U of I in Urbana-Champaign

- Rush University

- Northwestern University

- University of Washington

- University of Minnesota

- University of Toronto

- McGill University

- University of Edinburgh

- University of Glasgow

- Trinity College Dublin

I feel like I am aiming too high for these programs, but I am extremely interested in their labs and they deliver high-quality education for postgrads. I am feeling pretty intimidated though, any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening.

I am in a similar situation that you are in. I have an overall undergrad GPA of a 3.14 but I'm still applying this cycle and to some higher ranked programs. My advice to you would be start thinking about these questions first: is your undergrad research relevant to what you want to do grad school? Can you make a high GRE score to make up for your lower GPA? What is your major GPA? Is it an option to enroll in a post-bac or masters program? 

If the answer to the first two is yes, and you have a high major GPA, then I would say go for it this application cycle! If you've never applied before it'll give you good practice for your next attempt (assuming you don't get in), and you'll figure out the rest in the mean time. If you don't get in then you can further think about the last question and start exploring your options. You'll figure it out as I had to do after I didn't get in the first time I applied and then enrolled in a post-bac and am feeling more confident. 

A low GPA is something that can be explained in a personal statement and from what I've seen many people still get into higher programs with a lower GPA. In my case, for some reason, I don't do very well in lower level classes, but if you put me in an upper level/graduate course I excel. This is my reasoning for a lower GPA and if a graduate committee examines my transcript they will see this is definitely the case. However, they will not necessarily know to look into this unless I highlight it in my personal statement. So for your case, make sure you clearly explain that clinical depression and anxiety hindered you from doing your absolute best for xyz semester... also talk about this with your letters of recommendation so they can reinforce your reasoning! I hope this helps! 

I'm sorry to hear about your struggles. This is just coming from my experiences, so make of it what you will. 

Unfortunately GPA is very much a consideration for potential grad students. However, A solid GRE(as high as you can) will alleviate some concerns over your GPA, or at least get your application past initial glances. Every school is different so just focus on improving what you still have control over.

In your case, and probably every other case too, I would definitely ask your letter writers for advice on programs and PIs with related research, It's mind boggling how chummy PIs are with each other even across the country(internationally too!). As much as you'd like to think connections don't play a role in the process, they do have some sway, and in your situation(still not a bad one btw), having a recommender that knows faculty in a prospective program can warrant your application a second look. Just relax and try to convey your love of research(specifically research not just science in general) through your application. good luck!

23 hours ago, itsjennetic said:

Hello fellow users,

I am a recent graduate from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. I received my undergraduate through the Liberal Arts College and majored in Individual Program of Study in Neuroscience, a major that I tailored with my research professor since a neuro degree wasn't actually offered yet at U of I for undergrads. I graduated with a 3.2 GPA due to a lot of personal events and stress that occurred during my undergrad, along with being diagnosed with anxiety/depression at the end of my junior year. Despite my low GPA though, I do have about 3 years of research experience in a neurophysiology lab.

I am currently living in the Bay Area, CA and my stress levels have stabilized since graduating about 6 months ago - I am currently studying for the GRE and looking at graduate schools to apply to. I am also very interested in furthering my studies internationally. I'm very worried that my low GPA will have a huge negative impact on my application. The schools I am looking at applying to are:

- Berkeley and UCSF (I know these are a huge stretch)

- U of I in Chicago and U of I in Urbana-Champaign

- Rush University

- Northwestern University

- University of Washington

- University of Minnesota

- University of Toronto

- McGill University

- University of Edinburgh

- University of Glasgow

- Trinity College Dublin

I feel like I am aiming too high for these programs, but I am extremely interested in their labs and they deliver high-quality education for postgrads. I am feeling pretty intimidated though, any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for listening.

3.2 out of 4.0 is not bad if you have enough research experiences! McGill actually has a M.Sc. in Psychiatry and it is less competitive than the neuroscience program. McGill grad application allows you apply to 2 different program with one application fee so I would urge you to look into it. Many professors in the psychiatry department do neuro related research so if you are thinking about doing PhD, you can definitely transfer to neuro PhD at McGill after ;) 

Edited by COGSCI
more information