Are Masters programs less selective than PhD programs?

Cal1gula

Hey guys,

I am an international applicant hoping to apply to universities in the USA. The only thing holding back my application is my relative lack of research experience (one summer), no publications etc.which significant reduces my competitiveness as a PhD candidate. So, I've decided on pursuing a Masters which will (hopefully) demonstrate my ability to do research. And because of this, as my title suggests, I was wondering if Masters programs are marginally less selective than PhD programs. Because I'm really freaking out here and I am not sure of my chances.

In the US there are far fewer masters programs for chemistry than PhD programs.  It is usually fairly rare to find a masters program for hard sciences (as opposed to engineering where it is far more common).  My impression of a masters in chemistry is that it does not have much utility and is not particularly useful career-wise, but others may feel differently about that.

In any case, as far as ease of acceptance I can only comment on engineering masters, which are much less selective than PhD programs.  Most schools look at masters students as easy money and are happy to accept many international students.  

• 2 months later...

You shouldn't count yourself out based on research experience. Most students don't have publications upon entering grad schools (you realize how little you actually know about chemistry in the first year ?, it's a giant learning curve). There are a ton of schools out there (not just MIT and Yale) that take students with all different levels of experience. If you want to do a masters go ahead, but it will add 2 years of schooling should you go to pursue a PhD after. If you want to obtain a PhD I'd go that route and find some schools were you think you would stand a chance. You can be (and there are a ton) extremely successful scientist without going to a top tier school. Masters aren't less selective, there just aren't many options. Some students choose to go that route if they are unsure about the commitment of a PhD. Some come back to a masters after being in the workforce for a while and others just want a masters. If this is something you love and a PhD is the end goal, then just apply for it.

• 2 months later...

I asked something similar in another forum. There are definitely far fewer masters programs in the States at "prestigious" universities (for example, in California, the UCs don't really have direct masters of chemistry, but the Cal States do); furthermore, you tend to have to fund yourself, and depending on the school it can cost anywhere from 10k-40k. 

I read somewhere (i'm not sure how true it is) that professors tend to not care as much about master's students (unless you are at a school that only does masters and no Phds), and if they are more selective, it is because no one wants to sink the time into a student who will leave shortly. The other thing I've heard is that because Master's are self-funded, they might have an easier time in because the school gets money out of them. I don't know which is true. 

So the way I see it, there are a few options (which I've spent a long time thinking about and haven't come to a conclusion myself, but we'll see if it helps you):

1. Take some time and do research/otherwise strengthen your application. If your GPA is excellent, it is easier to remedy any issues in your app (kind of). Look for research positions; if there are none, consider working part-time and volunteering in a lab. If you can't do this, commit to a non-cert research program (I've seen some at certain schools in the States, but I've seen more abroad). Unlike low GPAs (my issue), lack of research is fixable, if time-consuming or expensive.

2. Apply to Master's abroad (more schools outside of the States tend to do masters). Uni of Tokyo has one in English for 1 year. This has the added benefit of international experience which can show you are flexible and adaptable; Uni of Tokyo is an excellent school and I think the program was roughly $5000 for the year (don't quote me, i looked at it over a year ago). You'll have to make sure to have an excellent GPA in a master's, though, because doing poorly says you're unlikely to be a successful PhD student.

3. Apply to a mix of master's programs and PhDs. See what chances you DO have at other schools for their PhDs; if you absolutely can't get into any, maybe some Masters will take you. This is risky, obviously, in different ways--if no PhDs take you and the Masters programs you applied to and got into aren't really your cup of tea, you're stuck having to take an additional 1-2 years, and any other risks taking a Masters could do. 

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do or what's "best", either. I would talk to your undergrad's grad advisor or any professors you were close with. Apologies that this isn't a directly answer (Which I kind of think no one has an answer to), but some of the things I've thought about and might help you out. 

Edited by scientific

Don't rule out the PhD just yet.  If it's something you really want, take the time to strengthen your research experience and then apply.   

Are terminal master's programs for chemistry easier to get into?  It depends.

The tip-top places don't offer thesis MS degrees in chem.  Most R1s don't.  So, yes, it's wayyyy easier to get into an MS program than a PhD at a top place.  However, if you attend one of the few R1s that does offer the terminal MS, admission may be a little tricky.  R1s--even those that offer the MS--don't gain anything from master's candidates (the minute we get the "knack" of things in the lab, it's time for us to go and the lab has to train someone new to re-start/continue the project...lots of $$ and time lost), so they may only have 1, 2 or 3 MS kids every couple of years.  This is not the case for MS engineering programs that place a much heavier emphasis on coursework.  (Research is usually optional.)  If the school doesn't have a doctoral program, I assume the admissions process is more "normal".

As for the MS students being ignored, that depends entirely on your advisor/lab.  That was not my experience, but it could've been.  *That's part of why fit is so important*