Anyone Familiar with SCAD (Hist. Preserv.) and/or Clemson/CoC's HP Program?

I'm from NC and in the process of wrapping up an M.A. in Theology and wanting to return to my roots in the historical preservation of sacred spaces. I am from NC though presently living in NY for the last year. I love Savannah and Charleston dearly though I know next to nothing about the HP programs in both of these cities, beyond what their websites share.

Is anyone familiar with the reputation of the schools? I've largely heard that SCAD's reputation doesn't justify the tuition and expenses but that was for fields outside of historic preservation. I am not sure about Clemson and CoC's joint program though I know alumni of both schools and they love them fiercely.

Just putting feelers out there to inquire. It seems the forum as a whole favors UPenn, Cornell, and UMD and I'm wondering if that's indicative of wider feelings within the profession.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2016 at 8:49 PM, xypathos said:

I'm from NC and in the process of wrapping up an M.A. in Theology and wanting to return to my roots in the historical preservation of sacred spaces. I am from NC though presently living in NY for the last year. I love Savannah and Charleston dearly though I know next to nothing about the HP programs in both of these cities, beyond what their websites share.

Is anyone familiar with the reputation of the schools? I've largely heard that SCAD's reputation doesn't justify the tuition and expenses but that was for fields outside of historic preservation. I am not sure about Clemson and CoC's joint program though I know alumni of both schools and they love them fiercely.

Just putting feelers out there to inquire. It seems the forum as a whole favors UPenn, Cornell, and UMD and I'm wondering if that's indicative of wider feelings within the profession.

I was initially interested in SCAD, mostly because I was living abroad at the time and SCAD offers an online program. But I decided against applying because of (1) the cost and (2) there seemed to be quite a number of people in the field who knew nothing about the program, which I found very odd. I did contact 2 alumni, however, and they had wonderful things to say about the program and they both have jobs in the field. So that is something to take into consideration.  

I ultimately decided on UMD because I now live in the area and nearly every preservation office in the state employs at least 1 UMD grad, it also seems to be a fantastic program and they offered me a great funding package.

I wish that I could give you more info on the other programs that you are asking about, but hopefully you will find the answers that you are looking for on this forum.

Best of luck to you in pursuing this path!