Hoping to get into SLP field

I am very interested in pursuing a career in slp, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to get into a Masters program.  Let me start off by saying that I graduated in 2006 with a BA in Literature, and my cum gpa was 2.98.  After graduating, I took six grad courses for a post bac certification in secondary English education.  I  did very well in these courses, earning Mostly As and a few Bs, but i found myself called back to the field of early childhood education.  After working for several years as a preschool teacher, I observed a few of the speech therapists at work, and I realized that I wanted to work in this profession.  I have heard that SLP masters programs are very competitive, and to even consider getting accepted, you need at least a 3.0 GPA, and usually schools are likely to only consider those with at least a 3.5.  If this is the case, is there any hope for me?  Is it possible to even get into an SLP program with my gpa?  I feel called to this profession, and I don't want to just give up.  I am prepared to work hard; I just need a shot.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Why is your cum GPA now? Without that info and knowing your GRE scores, it's not possible to really give any input. Regardless, a huge amount of geographic flexibility and finding programs that look at the last 60 credits only sounds like your best bet.

2 hours ago, Anne said:

I am very interested in pursuing a career in slp, but I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to get into a Masters program.  Let me start off by saying that I graduated in 2006 with a BA in Literature, and my cum gpa was 2.98.  After graduating, I took six grad courses for a post bac certification in secondary English education.  I  did very well in these courses, earning Mostly As and a few Bs, but i found myself called back to the field of early childhood education.  After working for several years as a preschool teacher, I observed a few of the speech therapists at work, and I realized that I wanted to work in this profession.  I have heard that SLP masters programs are very competitive, and to even consider getting accepted, you need at least a 3.0 GPA, and usually schools are likely to only consider those with at least a 3.5.  If this is the case, is there any hope for me?  Is it possible to even get into an SLP program with my gpa?  I feel called to this profession, and I don't want to just give up.  I am prepared to work hard; I just need a shot.  Any advice would be very much appreciated.  Thank you.

Anne, it is possible. 

You might have a chance of getting into a 3 year level masters that includes all of your coursework. If you can't, consider doing a post-bacc or 2nd degree (I did mine through USU) and then applying for a masters. 

You're right that SLP masters programs are very competitive, but I know someone who left undergrad with a 2.98 and then earned a 4.0 in her 2nd degree and got into a great masters program. Anything is possible if you're willing to work at it. 

Your GPA is only one factor that helps an admissions committee determine if you could be successful academically. Your GRE scores are another big indicator of that. If you don't have a strong GPA, then a strong GRE could help balance that out. 

Start researching your options and see how your stats compare to the average ones. Also consider if you're going to be able to get great LOR's and how good you are at writing (Personal Statement). 

I've written about a lot of this stuff on my blog if you'd like to read there, or there is lots of information here if you go back in the archives. 

I have't really looked at three-year programs, but I'd carefully look at their stats for the people that they admit before spending money on applications. My guess is that you're going to need to take pre-req courses and prove that you can learn the material and get stellar grades in the  field.  If you can do that, then your grades from 10 years ago won't matter nearly as much to lots of schools. A piece of advice that I received is that grad schools are looking for people who can do the work, finish the program, and reflect well on them. That's why track records matter to them. You want to show them that you have what it takes. 

Good luck!

My understanding is that programs are more ready to accept dedicated applicants with life experience (your education background specifically seems like it would be a huge plus) than undergraduates straight out of school. Don't give up! I'm not sure what your GPA is now, but your experience, LoR, personal statement, and GRE scores can all work to get you into a program. Like slporbust said, I imagine admission committees are far less worried about your grades from many years ago than your commitment now. Taking one or two comm. disorder classes might be a good idea to show you are committed and can perform well in this track.

Good luck!

Edited by plume