Letter of intent- explain low undergrad GPA

what is a professional way to explain my irresponsibility during my undergrad years that led to my low GPA? I would like to explain that in my letter of intent but I am having writers block.

Any suggestions or examples of what you might have said in your letter of intent?

Thank you

That´s a great question. I would start drafting out reasons - try to keep it to a paragraph or less. 

Also, consider checking out this article on Kisses of Death in the Graduate School Application Process (I think that´s the official title). I just reviewed it on my blog. There´s a section called "Damaging Personal Statements: Excessive Self-Disclosure" 

Also, consider if it is really worth it. Do you have a post-bacc GPA to show you handle the work? Is your GPA for your last 60 hours better? What about your GRE scores (they indicate basically the same thing as your GPA)?

Finally, I think that for something so delicate you might want to check with an expert. Can you talk with someone from admissions at your current Uni? Is there a career advising center on campus? Those places should be filled with people who can give you really good advice. 

If your GPA is lower than 3.0, but has been demonstrably higher in the last two years of your college work, you can consider devoting a sentence or two to what you did to overcome personal obstacles. If the GPA is higher than 3.0, don't draw attention to it. 

Don't justify yourself. Don't make up excuses that seem plausible. Just tell the truth when asked. Don't use self-deprecation. Don't dwell on the negative. Writer's block has no place in your personal statement, as it must all be a hundred percent true. You have to be the self you introduce in this letter - don't write about someone else.

@mcamp I am currently a post bacc student. My GPA is better than my undergrad GPA. Thank you for directing me to your blog. The article was very helpful plus the articles about studying for GRE.