Welcome to the GradCafe

Hello!  Welcome to The GradCafe Forums.You're welcome to look around the forums and view posts.  However, like most online communities you must register before you can create your own posts.  This is a simple, free process that requires minimal information. Benefits of membership:

  • Participate in discussions
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Search forums
  • Removes some advertisements (including this one!)
Shd90

MPH Canada Fall 2017

787 posts in this topic

I couldn't find a thread for students applying for MPH 2017 in  Canada. Which universities are you applying to? Are you taking the GRE? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey There!

I'm leaning towards dlsph and mac, i'm looking into some of the online MPH programs but I'm on the fence about those, what about you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

I am also planing for MPH in 2017 fall. If anyone has any idea about the job opportunities in Canada.?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/27/2016 at 4:59 PM, pizza17 said:

Hey There!

I'm leaning towards dlsph and mac, i'm looking into some of the online MPH programs but I'm on the fence about those, what about you?

Hey, I'm also on the fence about those. What are your concerns? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys! i'm thinking of applying to uoft, mac, guelph and western, although i'm scared my gpa won't be good enough :\ it's at a 3.56 right now and all the schools in ontario seem so competitive. i know most of them only look at the last 10 credits but i'm wondering how that works exactly. how do they decide which courses to count as your last couple if there are five in a semester? if anyone would like to shed some light on the matter, let me know! thanks :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On October 19, 2016 at 9:32 PM, mariont19 said:

hey guys! i'm thinking of applying to uoft, mac, guelph and western, although i'm scared my gpa won't be good enough :\ it's at a 3.56 right now and all the schools in ontario seem so competitive. i know most of them only look at the last 10 credits but i'm wondering how that works exactly. how do they decide which courses to count as your last couple if there are five in a semester? if anyone would like to shed some light on the matter, let me know! thanks :)

Which Ontario schools only look at your last 10 credits? (I might be confused) so are you saying that some schools only look at your most recent year?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/19/2016 at 0:16 AM, friesandwater said:

Hey, I'm also on the fence about those. What are your concerns? 

Some people I know who did their MPH online mentioned there's little opportunity to network with faculty and other students 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone, I am a current student at Guelph U in the MPH program, so if anyone has questions on admissions, admission statistics, or anything else I would be happy to try (emphasis on try haha) and help answer any questions. 

Edited by Mark Reist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Markk122 said:

Hey everyone, I am a current student at Guelph U in the MPH program, so if anyone has questions on admissions, admission statistics, or anything else I would be happy to try (emphasis on try haha) and help answer any questions. 

Hi! I wold love to know about Guelph's admission statistics if you have a chance! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, samgreenwood said:

Hi! I wold love to know about Guelph's admission statistics if you have a chance! 

Hey! From what I remember for Guelph our class this year has 25 people and I believe there were upwards of 360+  applicants for the program. I would say most people in our program this year had a  3.7 GPA or higher in their last two years as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi everyone, 

I'm currently in the MPH Epidemiology program at U of T (1st year), so if you have any questions about the program, I'd love to help! Of course, I've only been in the program for about 7 weeks now, but I can at least share what I know. I can also share my experience on my application and decision process on choosing the right Master's program (for me), and I think this may be helpful for a lot of students since we likely share similar concerns (e.g. money, location, future job prospects, etc.). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/21/2016 at 0:30 AM, samgreenwood said:

Which Ontario schools only look at your last 10 credits? (I might be confused) so are you saying that some schools only look at your most recent year?? 

by last 10 credits i meant the last two years (at least that's how it works at UofT)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, 

I am applying to UBC and SFU. Wondering if anyone is interested in doing an SOI swap? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm applying to only Usask, mainly because I live here and am attending my undergrad here. I'm a little nervous over whether I will get in, my last 2 years average should be around an 80% after this term. Their minimum is 70%, and no GRE required. I'm hoping my tons of volunteering experience will give me a nice boost :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello

I graduated in bachelors in medicine from India but my last two years scores are 60%, thats considered first class division. i have one year experience in a hospital and now i am just thinking if applying with this profile is gonna make it happen for me.

is there a hope i can get into the program of MPH in Canada with/without GRE?

What should i do?

any help is appreciated.

 

Thank you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Friday, November 11, 2016 at 3:31 AM, chandni said:

hello

I graduated in bachelors in medicine from India but my last two years scores are 60%, thats considered first class division. i have one year experience in a hospital and now i am just thinking if applying with this profile is gonna make it happen for me.

is there a hope i can get into the program of MPH in Canada with/without GRE?

What should i do?

any help is appreciated.

 

Thank you

WhIch universities are you planning on applying to? 

Edited by Shd90

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hey guys, really nice to see people out here to help.

I have done my dental graduation from india and have done post graduation as well. so that gave me some research experience. have been working for the past 4 years now.

but felt it just wasnt enough. so want to get into mph. toefl score 109, prob though is my grad GPA is 3.2. i was thinking of applying to Waterloo, UofA, Saskatchewan, GUELPH and McMaster...any views as to the univ that i should totally avoid or what are my chances.

Thanks

Edited by PERIDENT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/23/2016 at 8:10 PM, And1 said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm currently in the MPH Epidemiology program at U of T (1st year), so if you have any questions about the program, I'd love to help! Of course, I've only been in the program for about 7 weeks now, but I can at least share what I know. I can also share my experience on my application and decision process on choosing the right Master's program (for me), and I think this may be helpful for a lot of students since we likely share similar concerns (e.g. money, location, future job prospects, etc.). 

Hello!

I have applied to UofT for Epidemiology and I have a few questions. 

Did you take the GRE? What was your score like? (I took it because it was recommended but I may have tanked my quantitative section and I worry that will make me a less competitive applicant).

Statistics requirement - My undergrad stats course seems to be missing 1 portion: regression analysis. Will that disqualify me?

Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Everyone, 

I discovered similar threads from previous years earlier today and I am glad a space like this exists. It's really nice to share experiences. 

I am applying to 5 schools - UBC, UofT, Queens, McMaster and York. I am applying to the MSc Kinesiology (with specialization in Epidemiology) at York. At the other schools, the degrees are MPH degrees in Public Health, with the exception of UofT, which is an MPH in Epidemiology. 

I am really nervous, but hoping to at least get into one school. My preferres schools are Uoft, UBC, McMaster, Queens and York in that order :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, purpleace said:

Hello!

I have applied to UofT for Epidemiology and I have a few questions. 

Did you take the GRE? What was your score like? (I took it because it was recommended but I may have tanked my quantitative section and I worry that will make me a less competitive applicant).

Statistics requirement - My undergrad stats course seems to be missing 1 portion: regression analysis. Will that disqualify me?

Thank you!

Hey there! 

The GRE thing is totally new for this upcoming app session, so luckily I didn't have to take it. So unfortunately, I can't comment on what I got or what is even considered a good score since I never did it :P 

As for the statistics requirement, I think it would be best to contact the school about it to make sure. We do cover regression in the last two weeks of the term, but it's more of a focus in the second biostats course next term. So my gut feeling is that it won't disqualify you, but again, contact them to make sure! 

Hope that helps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello!

Can't believe the time to apply is already here! Anyways, I am applying to the University of Alberta's MPH in epi, and SFU's MPH in population health sciences.  Quick questions though: how large is SFU's MPH incoming cohort in a given year? Does anyone know? Also, how important in CEPH accredation in Canada? Is it mostly important if in the future one hopes to work in the U.S.? Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone NOT doing the GRE when applying to uofT epi? 

I applied last year and was waitlisted and am applying again this year but found out THIS WEEK that they are recommending the GRE. Im a bit annoyed as I never would have thought to have to repeatedly check the admission requirements (from my understanding this has only been announced since fall). Im still feeling pretty silly that I am only finding this out now  Im going to write it but if i do horribly I am thinking i may just not send results (especially considering I have about a week or less to prepare).  Anyone else considering an application without these results?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, rapini said:

Is anyone NOT doing the GRE when applying to uofT epi? 

I applied last year and was waitlisted and am applying again this year but found out THIS WEEK that they are recommending the GRE. Im a bit annoyed as I never would have thought to have to repeatedly check the admission requirements (from my understanding this has only been announced since fall). Im still feeling pretty silly that I am only finding this out now  Im going to write it but if i do horribly I am thinking i may just not send results (especially considering I have about a week or less to prepare).  Anyone else considering an application without these results?

I am applying without the gre scores too. I was blindsided(specially since I had viewed the admission requirements a few times since January to not miss out anything) when I read they strongly recommend taking GRE for epidemiology from this year and it's compulsory from next year. I am serious about the application but I'm so unprepared for taking the GRE. Being an international applicant we are not required to take GRE here. This is my top choice school and submitting the application without gre scores is freaking me out but there was no way I could have managed to give the exam on time. :mellow:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering if there is someone out there that also has applied for the master in community health at UofT? Or knows someone attending this program....

Any info is welcome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now