MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

1 hour ago, nads6 said:

Hey guys,

I received an offer of admission from Brock MPH on Thursday around noon time when I checked and my status for Guelph MPH just changed to admitted now (I just checked around 11:15 am) :) Wishing you guys luck!!!

ahhh! so lucky! congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application to guelph?

32 minutes ago, naynay said:

ahhh! so lucky! congratulations! If you don't mind me asking, when did you submit your application to guelph?

Thank you!! And of course... I submitted the actual app through OUAC with payment on January 24th but I was uploading my documents right up until the night before the deadline (January 31st was my last upload!).

Hope that info helps & good luck!

31 minutes ago, nads6 said:

Thank you!! And of course... I submitted the actual app through OUAC with payment on January 24th but I was uploading my documents right up until the night before the deadline (January 31st was my last upload!).

Hope that info helps & good luck!

@nads6 congrats!!! For Guelph, did they update your admission status on WebAdvisor?

32 minutes ago, becca17 said:

They did for me. I didn't receive an email. 

Haven't received the email yet either. My WebAdvisor was updated around 11:15am-ish

Hi all - kind of beyond the scope of this thread but thought I'd ask anyways. Are there any notable funding opportunities for MPHs? I know opportunities are limited, especially for curriculum-based degrees, but thought I'd ask anyhow.

Rejected from SFU MPH (Population Health Sciences Stream). Received results by email at 2:57PM local time (-7 GMT).
BA (Hon) in Psychology, 3.55 cGPA, 3.7 GPA (last sixty credits). Not a ton of health experience (.5 years in clinical health research post-graduation). 

Still waiting to hear back from UVIC (MPH) and UAlberta (MSc), but not holding my breath. There's always next year!

Best of luck everyone!

6 hours ago, overandover said:

Hey! Thanks for making yourself available :) I was wondering what made you choose UBC over SFU?

It was a tough decision, for sure. I ultimately decided to attend UBC because I had my roots there (I was working there at the time of applying) and because UBC professors are very well connected with the local health authorities - many hold clinical appointments at local hospitals and health organizations. That's not to say that SFU faulty aren't well connected, but my impression is that the strengths in SFU's program is that it's focused on social determinants/community-based health (depending on the stream you applied for), while UBC's program is focused on more of the quantitative aspects of public health (biostats, epidemiology)... and if you take a look at the required coursework in each respective program, they definitely reflect this! Also, the UBC Vancouver campus environment is unparalleled - it's beautiful and I live relatively close by, whereas for the SFU campus, I would have had to commute upwards of an hour to get to school, and I wasn't willing to move.

I think both programs are really, really good. As a school, UBC is more prestigious (not that this really matters when finding a job in public health), though I've heard repeatedly that SFU's program is among the best in Canada. It has a really good reputation. It goes without saying, but I think which program is better just hinges on your interests in public health - if you're aiming to become an epidemiologist or researcher then UBC is probably a better bet in terms of the opportunities and connections you'd make, but if you want to work with hands on with community organizations on social justice issues then SFU seems, to me, to offer better value in that respect. Hope this helps!

2 hours ago, mariont19 said:

Has anyone else still not heard back from Queens or Guelph at all? :(

I haven't heard back from Guelph either. I've been frantically checking WebAdvisor and my email every hour. :|

6 hours ago, emph said:

It was a tough decision, for sure. I ultimately decided to attend UBC because I had my roots there (I was working there at the time of applying) and because UBC professors are very well connected with the local health authorities - many hold clinical appointments at local hospitals and health organizations. That's not to say that SFU faulty aren't well connected, but my impression is that the strengths in SFU's program is that it's focused on social determinants/community-based health (depending on the stream you applied for), while UBC's program is focused on more of the quantitative aspects of public health (biostats, epidemiology)... and if you take a look at the required coursework in each respective program, they definitely reflect this! Also, the UBC Vancouver campus environment is unparalleled - it's beautiful and I live relatively close by, whereas for the SFU campus, I would have had to commute upwards of an hour to get to school, and I wasn't willing to move.

I think both programs are really, really good. As a school, UBC is more prestigious (not that this really matters when finding a job in public health), though I've heard repeatedly that SFU's program is among the best in Canada. It has a really good reputation. It goes without saying, but I think which program is better just hinges on your interests in public health - if you're aiming to become an epidemiologist or researcher then UBC is probably a better bet in terms of the opportunities and connections you'd make, but if you want to work with hands on with community organizations on social justice issues then SFU seems, to me, to offer better value in that respect. Hope this helps!

Thanks so much for that in depth answer! That is very close to the read I got as well for the two programs. Do you have any other tips on how to make the most out of your MPH degree? 

8 hours ago, yegMPH said:

Rejected from SFU MPH (Population Health Sciences Stream). Received results by email at 2:57PM local time (-7 GMT).
BA (Hon) in Psychology, 3.55 cGPA, 3.7 GPA (last sixty credits). Not a ton of health experience (.5 years in clinical health research post-graduation). 

Still waiting to hear back from UVIC (MPH) and UAlberta (MSc), but not holding my breath. There's always next year!

Best of luck everyone!

I was rejected by SFU as well. Waiting on UAlberta, UWO, and UToronto. Good luck to you!

13 hours ago, mariont19 said:

Has anyone else still not heard back from Queens or Guelph at all? :(

Hello @mariont19, @pha, I too heard nothing from Queen's. Either its waiting list or rejection that's for sure now. My online application status still is "application complete". Highly frustrating. 

Edited by Tahnin

3 hours ago, elop said:

I was rejected by SFU as well. Waiting on UAlberta, UWO, and UToronto. Good luck to you!

Hello @elop, I have also applied to SFU but no email yet. So I was wondering if they sent you a rejection email or you knew when you checked your online application? 

On a different note, @elop and @yegMPH could you guys please tell me when you applied to SFU? Someone said in this thread that SFU does it on a rolling basis (can anyone clear that up for me, please?) so I was trying to understand when they might review my application as I uploaded my last document on 30 January. 

Edited by Tahnin

Long  time lurker here.

I got acceptance to USF UAB and Univ of Florida mph programs last year and accepted USF Tampabut i couldnt get the US visa (yep we international students hv to go through much more agonizing experiences). This yr i tried my luck with canadian unis . Applied to , mcmaster, u tor, mcgill , alberta n sfu. I got refusals from mcgill,mcmaster.  sfu (just a few hours ago) Nothing yet from the rest.As a backup  I even applied to london school of hygiene n tropi me. (uK) . I got my acceptance from there. Do i consider myself lucky :) i wanted to study in either u of tor or alberta for mph but since i got into london school of hygiene n tropical med , do u guys believe its a good place to study.? Accordin to global ranking LSHTM only comes next to harvard n john hopkins. The only reason i wanted to study in canada is cos i hv family there.

1 hour ago, dr_pakistan said:

Long  time lurker here.

I got acceptance to USF UAB and Univ of Florida mph programs last year and accepted USF Tampabut i couldnt get the US visa (yep we international students hv to go through much more agonizing experiences). This yr i tried my luck with canadian unis . Applied to , mcmaster, u tor, mcgill , alberta n sfu. I got refusals from mcgill,mcmaster.  sfu (just a few hours ago) Nothing yet from the rest.As a backup  I even applied to london school of hygiene n tropi me. (uK) . I got my acceptance from there. Do i consider myself lucky :) i wanted to study in either u of tor or alberta for mph but since i got into london school of hygiene n tropical med , do u guys believe its a good place to study.? Accordin to global ranking LSHTM only comes next to harvard n john hopkins. The only reason i wanted to study in canada is cos i hv family there.

London school of hygiene and tropical medicine has a high acceptance rate. And you would be paying alot to be a international student. 

In Canada,  it doesn't matter about what school you go to,  it's how you present yourself, your experience/volunteer hours, and the connections you make. No employer in public health will ask for your grades but as long as you have a mph you will meet the requirements. 

The tuition for international students is roughly:

LSHTM 21k £ for full course (1 year Masters PH)

Mcgill, u of Tor and other canadian univs - $36000 per annum (2 years MPH and MsPH)

Same with US universities ( USF - 34k $ per year (2 years MPH)

Fees for international students is usually high.

How will it effect employment chances for pursuing a 1 year Ms PH as compared to completing a 2 yr MPH course. Most UK univ offer 1 yr programs whereas US and Canadian unis offer a 2 yr Masters program.

I am still waiting to hear from Utoronto , UAlberta and Waterloo.