MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

2 hours ago, Safetypins49 said:

@Tahnin I'm sorry to hear about that! How did you find out about Queen's rejection? Did they email you? I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

@Safetypins49 hello there, I received an email from Queen's attached a pdf saying they are sorry to reject me. 

This is my second year applying to the MPH Health Promotion stream at U of A.  I didn't apply to more than one last year and I didn't this year - might change my mind next year. ;) Anyone heard back from this stream in particular? 

On 4/4/2017 at 0:15 PM, dr_pakistan said:

I just got my UofA refusal :( That literally breaks my heart as I already have 3 more refusals before that ( Mcgill, SFU, Mcmaster)

Now only 2 more decisions pending ( Uof Toronto and Waterloo) Dont think I have any chances for MPH in Canada this year.

I am just left to accept my London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine offer.

Hi,

I also was looking abroad in London and came across the London School o Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I've never heard of it before so I was hesitant. Are the requirements not as hard as Canada and does the program seem good? I applied to King's and intend to apply to Manchester as well. 

1 hour ago, agillespie said:

Spoke with Lakehead this morning. They said it will still be 2-3 more weeks. They received over 300 applications which I gather is outside their norm. 

Glad someone reached out to them. I am surprised they haven't sent responses sooner...even if its rejections, as it seems other years they were long done by now.

1 hour ago, friesandwater said:

Wow I still haven't received an email from them. I wonder if that means I'm rejected 

@friesandwater hey, I know it's difficult to remain optimistic in this situation but keep hold tight of that tiny thread of hope. 

2 hours ago, friesandwater said:

Wow I still haven't received an email from them. I wonder if that means I'm rejected 

I haven't heard from Queen's either, rejection/acceptance or waitlist. But I also can't access my application... has anyone else been having this problem?

Edited by pha

2 hours ago, canadian.azn said:

Hi,

I also was looking abroad in London and came across the London School o Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. I've never heard of it before so I was hesitant. Are the requirements not as hard as Canada and does the program seem good? I applied to King's and intend to apply to Manchester as well. 

LSHTM is ranked in top 5 in the world for Public Health..it only comes after John Hopkins and Oxford in Public Health rank globally. U of Toronto (t best uni in canada for Public health according to QRRanking) comes at 25 to 40 in global rank. So you still hv time to apply for Sep intake at LSHTM..yes it is competitive but they also look holistially at your CV unlike most Canadian universities which I think just look at your GPA to book u in.

One more thing though ..LSHTM offer a 12 month MsC in Public health and not MPH. My only reason for applying to canada was they offer a 16 month MPH which is accredited by CEPH (usa). I am not sure about LSHTM being accredited by CEPH but its the best in public health according to rankings. Can anyone also shed light on the pros and cons for pursuing a MsPh rather than a MPH in public health in terms of employment opportunities in usa, canada etc.

Edited by dr_pakistan

6 hours ago, heidiwind1 said:

This is my second year applying to the MPH Health Promotion stream at U of A.  I didn't apply to more than one last year and I didn't this year - might change my mind next year. ;) Anyone heard back from this stream in particular? 

As you mentioned this was your second year applying to mph at uofAlberta. Last time when you were unsuccesful , did you ask them what were the shortcomings in your application. I am asking cos i been refused by a few Canadian universities already but they are not specifically telling me the reason (shortcomings) for rejecting my application.

Second rejection from McMaster's HRM program. :'( How do people brush it off and not let the rejections get them down? 

P.S - still waiting to hear from Guelph, USask and Western. (I'm expecting rejections anyway).

On 04/05/2017 at 10:50 PM, Tahnin said:

Thanks @bio04 for the encouragement. It's difficult though, when your career is on the line. 

Good luck to all waiting for Waterloo's decision. I m also in the same boat.

I would like to ask if they (canadian universities)have a quota system to accept a certain number of international students every year. Does being a Canadian has an extra edge over international students even if their experiences are more or less the same?

Edited by dr_pakistan

17 minutes ago, dr_pakistan said:

LSHTM is ranked in top 5 in the world for Public Health..it only comes after John Hopkins and Oxford in Public Health rank globally. U of Toronto (t best uni in canada for Public health according to QRRanking) comes at 25 to 40 in global rank. So you still hv time to apply for Sep intake at LSHTM..yes it is competitive but they also look holistially at your CV unlike most Canadian universities which I think just look at your GPA to book u in.

One more thing though ..LSHTM offer a 12 month MsC in Public health and not MPH. My only reason for applying to canada was they offer a 16 month MPH which is accredited by CEPH (usa). I am not sure about LSHTM being accredited by CEPH but its the best in public health according to rankings. Can anyone also shed light on the pros and cons for pursuing a MsPh rather than a MPH in public health in terms of employment opportunities in usa, canada etc.

@heidiwind1 My sentiments exactly, LSHTP is amongst one of the most prestigious schools for public health. In a way, they are like the Emory of Public health. Emory is also amazing for its public health as it is connected with the CDC, but many people do not know much about it or have not heard about it because it is so niche. This effect is amplified with LSHTP. However, I can assure you that once you enter the PH field, everyone will know of the school and the prestige it holds in the profession.

Edited by j12356

2 minutes ago, naynay said:

Second rejection from McMaster's HRM program. :'( How do people brush it off and not let the rejections get them down? 

P.S - still waiting to hear from Guelph, USask and Western. (I'm expecting rejections anyway).

I already hv rejections from uofAlberta, Mcmaster, Mcgill and SFU.

Waiting for Uof toronto n waterloo .

Have an offer from LSHTM though and deferrals from USF, UAB, UThealth houston, UNI OF florida (as i got my student visa refused last yr so now cant go to usa).

If that didnt dampen my hopes i think u should also dont gv up yet.

41 minutes ago, dr_pakistan said:

are there any other schools you would suggest applying to in London? I'm worried about not getting in and would like to be accepted to a school regardless of rank at this point to be honest 

14 minutes ago, canadian.azn said:

are there any other schools you would suggest applying to in London? I'm worried about not getting in and would like to be accepted to a school regardless of rank at this point to be honest 

Kings College

UCL

University of leeds

Manchester Univ

Brunel University (london)

And of course LSHTM

48 minutes ago, canadian.azn said:

Imperial is great too

Hey @mariont19 . I got a response from Guelph about two weeks ago, so it's strange that you haven't heard from them yet. Maybe try contacting them? As for Western, I'm still waiting for a response too. Wishing you all the best with your applications!

6 hours ago, j12356 said:

@heidiwind1 My sentiments exactly, LSHTP is amongst one of the most prestigious schools for public health. In a way, they are like the Emory of Public health. Emory is also amazing for its public health as it is connected with the CDC, but many people do not know much about it or have not heard about it because it is so niche. This effect is amplified with LSHTP. However, I can assure you that once you enter the PH field, everyone will know of the school and the prestige it holds in the profession.

Is Emory just as tough at LSHTP? Been rejected by Canadian schools and just feeling so discouraged I don't want to keep applying and getting the same answer :( 

Is anyone still waiting to hear back from MSc Epi at Western? I've read that some got a rejection and some got acceptances too but I've heard absolutely nothing from them.