MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

25 minutes ago, hchan said:

I was wondering if anyone waitlisted to SFU has received any news yet?

Also, has anyone gotten accepted into U of A at all yet?

Hello @hchan, I have been wait listed in SFU (MPH) but no news yet. 

Are you also wait listed in SFU? 

1 hour ago, Tahnin said:

Hello @hchan, I have been wait listed in SFU (MPH) but no news yet. 

Are you also wait listed in SFU? 

Yes, for the Population Health stream. I wonder if spots open up based on people dropping out of the MPH program overall or based on people dropping out of your specific stream

Hi!

Anyone hear from UVIC or UBC? I applied for both programs after being accepted to LSHTM Distance MScPH. I emailed both UVIC and UBC last week and asked their timeline. UBC said next couple of weeks and UVIC said last week.... #annoyed.

Also... anyone have any insight into LSHTM distance program. I know that school has an incredible reputation but hoping the distance program is also regarded that high?

13 minutes ago, jenniferkp said:

Long time lurker here... I was wondering if anyone who was accepted at SFU and/or UBC could share their stats IE:) GPA, work experience? 

I havnt heard from UBC yet! I applied to the MPH/MSN program. Figured if I had the ability to get both- why not. Although the MSN isn't directly in my wheel house of goals. 

I'm a bit scared because although my undergraduate GPA is quite high (BSN program 3.8, along with valedictorian, extra curriculars etc...) my stats course is the lowest of all my grades (B). I think UBC calls for a B+. Hoping this could be overlooked but I am guessing I will find out soon enough. 

Also applied to UVIC, as their program is mostly online and I am working full-time as a research assistant. I am hoping I hear from either soon!

7 minutes ago, vancouverrunner said:

I havnt heard from UBC yet! I applied to the MPH/MSN program. Figured if I had the ability to get both- why not. Although the MSN isn't directly in my wheel house of goals. 

I'm a bit scared because although my undergraduate GPA is quite high (BSN program 3.8, along with valedictorian, extra curriculars etc...) my stats course is the lowest of all my grades (B). I think UBC calls for a B+. Hoping this could be overlooked but I am guessing I will find out soon enough. 

Also applied to UVIC, as their program is mostly online and I am working full-time as a research assistant. I am hoping I hear from either soon!

Thanks!! Are you a new grad? I'll be done my BSN in December, but I'm worried programs will be hesitant to accept without years of work experience... I've done a few RAships, done my own research presented at conferences, volunteered at a hospital and with an organization doing health promotion, but the lack of people getting accepted has me worried about applying. Did you have your CRNBC licence when you applied? 

6 hours ago, mariont19 said:

Hey guys, I'm waitlisted at McMaster and Western and I still have not heard back from Guelph or Queens so I'm guessing those will be rejections. I haven't seen anyone say they got accepted after being waitlisted yet. Should I be hopeful about getting off the waitlist or is it a very slim chance? Also, are a lot of people who have already accepted offers to schools waiting to hear back from U of T and then will be switching if they get accepted?

Yes, accepting Guelph because my deadline is tomorrow (April 11th). But will switch to U of T if I get an acceptance there! Good luck!

29 minutes ago, jenniferkp said:

Thanks!! Are you a new grad? I'll be done my BSN in December, but I'm worried programs will be hesitant to accept without years of work experience... I've done a few RAships, done my own research presented at conferences, volunteered at a hospital and with an organization doing health promotion, but the lack of people getting accepted has me worried about applying. Did you have your CRNBC licence when you applied? 

Hi!

I am a fairly-new grad. I graduated September 2016, so by the time I start MPH, I will have one year experience. I do see that the experience is incredibly important but also think going straight from BSN to be ideal for me. I wrote my NCLEX November 2016 after travelling for a month, so yes I did have my CRNBC license when I applied. It sounds as though you a great start to your application, experience in research is valuable.

I wouldn't worry about acceptance rates, but more on cultivating your own application. I think nurses (along with all health practitioners) have a wealth of incredible personal experiences that make them ideal candidates to delve deeper into the complexities of public health! London School of Hygiene has a distance MScPH that is apparently really great. The school has a really great reputation on the international level. I'm tempted!

37 minutes ago, NorthernGalMPHHopeful said:

I got an generalized email notification that my status had changed on MyInfo on Friday, then I received a letter of offer emailed to me this morning. Did you apply for Gerontology as well??

Thanks for the reply! Epidemiology stream actually :)

5 hours ago, NorthernGalMPHHopeful said:

Nothing yet still "Under Review" however i do know of a few people who have been rejected already

I applied for MPH Global Health at U of A and my application still says under review. I think some other people have gotten rejected. I don't know if that's a good sign or not......

Also waiting *patiently* for U of T .... lol

@joecollard6 when exactly did you hear?On March 20th, I received a message through the application portal stating that " Due to a higher than expected number of applications, our review process will be slower than in previous years. Please be assured your file will be reviewed in detail, and all qualified applicants will be considered for potential recruitment scholarship. We are aiming to advise all successful applicants by mid-April. I am wondering what catagory of applicants I have been placed. Hoping for the best and congratulations for being admitted! Did you accept?

Good luck to all you waiters

1 hour ago, WaitingforAdmission said:

@joecollard6 when exactly did you hear?On March 20th, I received a message through the application portal stating that " Due to a higher than expected number of applications, our review process will be slower than in previous years. Please be assured your file will be reviewed in detail, and all qualified applicants will be considered for potential recruitment scholarship. We are aiming to advise all successful applicants by mid-April. I am wondering what catagory of applicants I have been placed. Hoping for the best and congratulations for being admitted! Did you accept?

Good luck to all you waiters

I got that message too. It seems like MSc programs have been sending out acceptances earlier, compared to MPH 

Hi all, 

I've been periodically watching this page for awhile now and thought I would post :) I was offered admission to UBC's MPH program for September, sometime in early March. Given that our deadline to either accept or decline the offer is for April 17th, I would imagine that those still waiting will hear back at some point on or after that date. Still waiting to hear back from UVic and USask, however, I'll probably end up sticking with my choice to go to UBC at this point.

Good luck to all those still waiting! 

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Hi all, 

I've been periodically watching this page for awhile now and thought I would post :) I was offered admission to UBC's MPH program for September, sometime in early March. Given that our deadline to either accept or decline the offer is for April 17th, I would imagine that those still waiting will hear back at some point on or after that date. Still waiting to hear back from UVic and USask, however, I'll probably end up sticking with my choice to go to UBC at this point.

Thats actually really good to know. I applied to the MSN/MPH program which takes longer since my application has to be reviewed by two separate committees. Hoping to get an answer soon though but I imagine it will be this week or next.I also applied to UVic... They told me last Monday that it would be "later that week or early this week"..... Still waiting!

1 hour ago, lmm said:

Hi all, 

Hi! Im wondering if you'd be willing to share a little but about your experience/stats after being accepted at UBC. GPA? previous work experience? if you're a new grad or not? UBC is my dream and I'd love to know what it takes to get in!