MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

Hi peoples, 

can any one tell me how much tough it is for international students to get admission in MPH at u of a and do they consider admission application if minimum requirements isnt met ?? 

Any leads will be appreciated 

Edited by Dr.Sam

I applied for U of A Global Health and U of T (Sociobehavioural) this year. Anyone have more information about the U of A Global Health program and what the pros/cons are about the program? I haven't found too much info on it, and they are not very transparent on their website.

I have about a 3.85 GPA for the last two years and some public health-related ish experience. Mostly clinical research experience actually. However, my thesis is more related to social determinants of health.

I have applied to UofT, Queen's U, UofWaterloo, UofA, UofSas and SFU in MPH (Epi). Completely freaking out as I am an international student (canadian PR). Anyone has any idea exactly when do they start sending admission/rejection emails?  

Also reading posts here regarding UofT MPH (Epi) GRE, i am glad that i noticed they wanted GRE score beforehand so that i could submit mine although it's a medium range score. Queen's also says GRE mandatory for international students. 

It's next to impossible for IMGs in Canada to get a proper job without a Canadian degree. I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Edited by Tahnin

On 03/02/2017 at 7:21 AM, Shd90 said:

I applied to 2 programs at Uoft Mph Epi (dlsph) and Msc CEHCR (ihpme) and Mph at McMaster. What about you? 

Good luck with your applications! I applied to UofT Mph EPI as well...And mcgill's mscph, alberta's mph EPI and McMasters HRM program. Hopefully we'll hear back soon enough!

Hi friends! Just popping by to say that I am just finishing up my final year of my MPH with UVic (social policy specialization). It's an awesome program. I'm actually right in the middle of my MPH practicum right now.

If anyone has questions about UVics program, or any questions about completing a distance-based MPH I'm happy to provide you with some answers :) Good luck with applications!

Hi guys,

Is it true that there are two selection rounds for MPH in Canada? Is it like first selection round and waiting list as 2nd round? 

And is it true that international graduates are considered for 2nd round only? How do you know if you are in the waiting list? 

My undergrad university is outside Canada but I am a Canadian permanent resident. I am considered as an international student but will l be in 1st round or 2nd one for consideration? 

On 2/7/2017 at 3:27 AM, EmPeeAych said:

I applied for U of A Global Health and U of T (Sociobehavioural) this year. Anyone have more information about the U of A Global Health program and what the pros/cons are about the program? I haven't found too much info on it, and they are not very transparent on their website.

I have about a 3.85 GPA for the last two years and some public health-related ish experience. Mostly clinical research experience actually. However, my thesis is more related to social determinants of health.

I was looking into the Global Health program at U of A, but decided not to apply. Although I have an interest in global health, I don't have international experience. When I was doing my research I found that a lot of people who got into that program and the global health emphasis at UofT had either done research internationally or volunteered abroad prior to applying. Just to add though, this type of experience isn't required but it definitely gives you an advantage. Outside of that though, I haven't heard a lot about that program either.

On 2/7/2017 at 1:27 PM, Tahnin said:

I have applied to UofT, Queen's U, UofWaterloo, UofA, UofSas and SFU in MPH (Epi). Completely freaking out as I am an international student (canadian PR). Anyone has any idea exactly when do they start sending admission/rejection emails?  

Also reading posts here regarding UofT MPH (Epi) GRE, i am glad that i noticed they wanted GRE score beforehand so that i could submit mine although it's a medium range score. Queen's also says GRE mandatory for international students. 

It's next to impossible for IMGs in Canada to get a proper job without a Canadian degree. I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

Hello Tahnin, 

As a Canadian PR, you are not considered an international student. 

On 2/8/2017 at 9:20 AM, Motog said:

Good luck with your applications! I applied to UofT Mph EPI as well...And mcgill's mscph, alberta's mph EPI and McMasters HRM program. Hopefully we'll hear back soon enough!

Goodluck!

I also applied to UofT Epi and McMaster MPH. 

Fingers crossed. 

8 minutes ago, purpleace said:

Hello Tahnin, 

As a Canadian PR, you are not considered an international student. 

Thanks purpleace. That definitely relieves some of the headaches. 

This waiting definitely takes it's toll on oneself. What I gathered from the 2016 Canadian MPH forum, it will be at least around mid March for the universities to start sending admission offers. I just hope I get one. 

First round of offers from McGill should be out!

I just got an offer of acceptance to McGill's MScPH program last week
. I will be looking into moving to Montreal this summer; If any students also accepted in the program are planning to move to the city and are looking for a room mate, let me know. Cheers

Edited by joelcollard6
more info

On 2017-02-13 at 2:48 PM, pizza17 said:

I was looking into the Global Health program at U of A, but decided not to apply. Although I have an interest in global health, I don't have international experience. When I was doing my research I found that a lot of people who got into that program and the global health emphasis at UofT had either done research internationally or volunteered abroad prior to applying. Just to add though, this type of experience isn't required but it definitely gives you an advantage. Outside of that though, I haven't heard a lot about that program either.

That's interesting, I didn't know. I didn't really have international health experience. Although there is merit to that, I also don't understand that. Doing research internationally and volunteering internationally requires a certain amount of privilege... Considering that a major component of global health is criticizing health inequities, this is rather backwards.. haha.

greetings everyone! I just came across this forum site randomly, thought I'd join. I applied for Fall 2017 too at Guelph, UWaterloo, UWO, USask, and McMaster (HRM degree). I had an absolutely horrendous GPA lol, but have done extremely well in my post-degree diploma at UWO, so hoping that's convincing enough that I've improved academically over the years. Praying for our successsss!

On 2/16/2017 at 1:06 AM, joelcollard6 said:

Congratulations joelcollard6 on your admission offer. 

Anyone else got any offer, guys? 

On 15/02/2017 at 2:06 PM, joelcollard6 said:

. I will be looking into moving to Montreal this summer; If any students also accepted in the program are planning to move to the city and are looking for a room mate, let me know. Cheers

Congrats joelcollard6! I received an offer yesterday afternoon. Does anyone have more details about the program? Or have spoken to current/past McGill students and have an idea about the overall student experience/job prospects after completing the MScPH? Thanks!

Hi guys,

I'm IMG as well and applied for MPH in UofA UofS and Guelph, no update yet.

Tahnin is n IMG as well and I agree its impossible to get decent job without qualification from Canada.

Lets see how it goes with MPH.

16 hours ago, msrrrioooo said:

Hi all! I understand this thread is for MPH/public health, but I wonder if anyone here applied to University of Ottawa's MSc in Epidemiology? I don't really know when to expect a response, maybe late April? The waiting is is killing me, I'm sure you guys can relate!

I did! Based on the admission results posted to gradcafe in previous years it'll probably be end of March.