MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

8 hours ago, 12njt2 said:

TORONTO!!! Recommended for admission to MPH Epi yesterday !!

Will be declining my admission to Queen's public health 

1 hour ago, 12njt2 said:

Will be declining my admission to Queen's public health 

Congrats!! Are you a current UofT student? If you are, was this offer one of the emails that were queued since the outage last Friday? 

15 hours ago, futuremph said:

For anyone rejected, and anyone who thought of any, what are your back up plans? 

Honestly, an MPH was my backup plan to medicine. So I've been looking into a backup to my backup plan haha. I've been thinking about doing a second bachelors and maybe coming back to public health because I really do like implementing policy and change on such a broad scale and then doing medicine after that - granted if anything decides to work out for me! 

4 hours ago, blind_faith said:

Congrats!! Are you a current UofT student? If you are, was this offer one of the emails that were queued since the outage last Friday? 

Thank you !! No I am actually a student at Queen's! 

23 hours ago, futuremph said:

For anyone rejected, and anyone who thought of any, what are your back up plans? 

Depending on Western, but I'll probably work for a year and apply to MPH again and maybe do a business degree next year.

Saskatchewan has updated their portal - my status now says "Dept Recommend - Conditional" which I assume means accepted...

I haven't received any notification from the program, and can't seem to find any accept/decline information.

Might be worth it to check your Sask portals for those waiting for a response :) 

7 minutes ago, MPHsal said:

Saskatchewan has updated their portal - my status now says "Dept Recommend - Conditional" which I assume means accepted...

I haven't received any notification from the program, and can't seem to find any accept/decline information.

Might be worth it to check your Sask portals for those waiting for a response :)

Congratulations!!! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I haven't heard anything yet and been so anxious.

4 minutes ago, Caroline678 said:

Congratulations!!! If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats? I haven't heard anything yet and been so anxious.

Thank you! Not a problem - I have a BSc in Life Sciences with an 82% average for my last 60 credits. I have been working for 2 years in Health Education/Curriculum Design and was lucky to get some really great faculty recommenders from my job! Other than that, I have some volunteer and leadership experience (nothing health related) that I talked about in my LOI. If you want more details, feel free to PM me :) Hope you hear from them soon!

19 minutes ago, MPHsal said:

Thank you! Not a problem - I have a BSc in Life Sciences with an 82% average for my last 60 credits. I have been working for 2 years in Health Education/Curriculum Design and was lucky to get some really great faculty recommenders from my job! Other than that, I have some volunteer and leadership experience (nothing health related) that I talked about in my LOI. If you want more details, feel free to PM me :) Hope you hear from them soon!

Thank you and congrats again this information is really helpful!!! I really appreciate it!

Hey guys, I have a BSc in pharmacy, and all the stuff I studied and did experiments about was related to pharmacy, chemistry and engineering, not really close to public health, but I do have some working experiences and internships(not for a really long time) in the health field like CDC and hospital. Is it really hard for someone like me to get accepted in MPH program?I would love and appreciate any insight anyone has!

1 minute ago, Caroline678 said:

Hey guys, I have a BSc in pharmacy, and all the stuff I studied and did experiments about was related to pharmacy, chemistry and engineering, not really close to public health, but I do have some working experiences and internships(not for a really long time) in the health field like CDC and hospital. Is it really hard for someone like me to get accepted in MPH program?I would love and appreciate any insight anyone has!

I don't think so! They take people from all disciplines since PH is such a multidisciplinary field. You will definitely be able to draw knowledge from your undergrad in the future in PH! I'm coming from a natural sciences background too :) 

29 minutes ago, j12356 said:

I don't think so! They take people from all disciplines since PH is such a multidisciplinary field. You will definitely be able to draw knowledge from your undergrad in the future in PH! I'm coming from a natural sciences background too :)

Thank you so much!!! I'm just kind of worried and want to maybe find out why, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope to receive some good news soon.

1 minute ago, Caroline678 said:

Thank you so much!!! I'm just kind of worried and want to maybe find out why, I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope to receive some good news soon.

No worries! In application reviews, emphasis is usually placed on the letters of reference and your own statement of interest (From what I've heard from other people). I believe that as long as you have a genuine passion for PH it'll come through in your app :) 

I just checked my portal for the University of Saskatchewan and I also got the Department Recommend - Conditional! I assume this means that we will be accepted as long as everything works out okay and the CGPS also agrees to admit us.

Since I know some of you will be interested, here are my stats: 

- Bachelors of Science in Animal Health

- Last 2 years (60 credits) GPA: 3.6

- cGPA - ~3.2

- Experience - No direct public health related experience. No research experience.  The only work experience I have is working in animal shelters and kennels, as well as with a catering company. I have some experience doing conferences and public speeches/forums - I'm disabled so I speak on my disability at these events.

- LOI - I had a really nice prof write a letter for me. The other two were from my bosses at the same catering company (who would have really vouched for me).

- Statement of Intent - I wrote a lot about my interest in studying the epidemiology of zoonotic diseases. 

I genuinely did not think I would get into school anywhere this cycle, so this is a bit of a surprise. I'm fresh out of my undergrad, barely have any experience, and have a good GPA but one that could have been better. Heres what I think sold me as an applicant:

- My background in Animal Health and my interest in studying zoonotic diseases. The U of S has a great vet school and they collaborate with the MPH program quite often, so I think this made me a really unique student for the program. 

- Even though my GPA for the last 2 years was a 3.6 - I had a GPA of 3.9 for my last 3 semesters. Literally got all A's. I decided that this is what I really wanted and put my all into it.

- I took 2 courses at U of A's MPH program and did really well in them. I think it showed the admissions committee that I can handle a masters level course load and that I was truly interested in the material. 

- Really great LOI's. I literally bent over backwards at my catering job (16 hour days and enormous amounts of physical labour for minimum wage) and I think my bosses really appreciated it and gave me excellent letters.

Other than that... I don't know. Some of you have really great stats and experience and you get rejected and I am always shocked! It seems like its all just luck. I truly applied with no expectations - I was almost 95% sure that I was going to be rejected, but thought that it couldn't hurt to try. So, don't give up!

7 hours ago, Caroline678 said:

I think you should be ok! I am a working Lab Technologist and was able to receive 1st round admission to Waterloo. 

Any international applicants got into any Canadian Mph programs tyear ? Will appreciate your response.

I am an international candidate still waiting to hear from U of T Epi and Uni of Waterloo MPH program though already accepted my LSHTM offer.

On 5/3/2017 at 1:04 PM, brooke16 said:

Has anyone who's accepted Queen's been able to access their Queen's email account? When I accepted the offer online it said "Please access your Queen's email account and check it often to read information sent to you from Queen's" but when I try to log in it says a mailbox could not be found for my address. Is this the case for everyone? If so I'm assuming they will just contact us through our external e-mail that we provided through our application?

Hey There!

I accepted my offer online as well, but it doesn't mention anything about accessing a Queen's email account .... not sure if this has anything to do with the fact that my offer is conditional (just finished my undergrad couple of weeks ago). I am looking for roommates/housing as well, so please feel free to message me!

9 hours ago, neonlily said:

I think you should be ok! I am a working Lab Technologist and was able to receive 1st round admission to Waterloo.

Thank you and congrats! I'll just cross my fingers patiently wait.

10 hours ago, dr_pakistan said:

Any international applicants got into any Canadian Mph programs tyear ? Will appreciate your response.

I am an international candidate still waiting to hear from U of T Epi and Uni of Waterloo MPH program though already accepted my LSHTM offer.

I m from india. Waiting for decision 

Lakehead and saskatchewan university

On 5/1/2017 at 6:33 PM, Magicksmith said:

I did.  A couple weeks ago the portal showed that a decision had been made for me.  A friend suggested I follow up with an email, which is how I found out I was rejected.  The following week I got a letter with a list of potential reasons that I was not accepted.  The only reason that was checked off on mine was ""lack of space," but I had been disappointed that I wasn't even waitlisted.  I'm in Nova Scotia, so that might account for how the letter got to me relatively quickly.

(The story has a happy ending, I later ended up with an offer to Lakehead which had been my first choice anyway!)

On which date u got acceptance from lakehead??

6 hours ago, Caroline678 said:

@idkmanCongratulations!!! And thank you for sharing all of this information

Thank you so much!! I hope you get in as well! I think your stats look great! 

I probably overshared a little bit too much, but I know that all that information is the kind of stuff people want to hear.

U of T people who were accepted earlier: were you required to put a deposit down when accepting your offer? If so, how much was it? (Trying to figure out how much time I have to choose between it and SFU!!)