MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

5 hours ago, TJCM2017 said:

Anyone from any stream can apply to this. It is a collaborative program that is done alongside your specialization (ie. Epi, OEH, Nutrition). There are certain requirements that you have to meet in terms of courses you take or practicum placements you do. I was originally going to do this collaborative program but have decided on another.

I really want to apply but the deadline is on the 15th. I started writing my personal statement then realized I have no academic writing pieces relevant to global health. The closest thing I have is a critical book review on a book about homelessness. I doubt it'll make the cut. No time to write a 10 page paper either. Any idea how competitive the specialization is? 

Which collaborative program are did you decide on?

19 hours ago, friesandwater said:

Yup it was first week of May, and it was for Health Promo. Maybe Epi is different. Did you contact them about your status? 

Epi seems to have been left for last. I did. They didn't get back to me. I might try calling again and seeing if I can get an answer.

5 hours ago, Lparm said:

Just received a rejection from Western. Guess I'll have to apply again next year. Best of luck to everyone else :)

There's always next year, you're right. Keep trying! 

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna receive my rejection soon. What were your stats/previous public health experience like?

On 6/14/2017 at 5:19 AM, MP15 said:

I really want to apply but the deadline is on the 15th. I started writing my personal statement then realized I have no academic writing pieces relevant to global health. The closest thing I have is a critical book review on a book about homelessness. I doubt it'll make the cut. No time to write a 10 page paper either. Any idea how competitive the specialization is? 

Not sure about competitiveness, but I was just talking to a friend who did the program a few years ago, and she said it was just as easy to set up global health practica without being in the global health emphasis (she did two global health practica and did not do the emphasis). So even if you don't get in to the collaborative or didn't end up applying, you can still choose to focus on global health on your own. Not sure what other benefits there are to actually being in the collaborative program. My friend also mentioned that people she knew who did the emphasis did not ultimately find it that valuable, FWIW, but this was a few years ago and it seems like they're making some changes with the switch from emphasis to collaborative, so who knows.

On 5/18/2017 at 9:13 PM, Creme_Brulee said:

Have they given out all of the official offers? This is all so confusing.

The process is a bit confusing...they send out unofficial offers (from the department DLSPH) and then it's up to the department of graduate studies to send out the official offer letters.

13 hours ago, mloneill said:

The process is a bit confusing...they send out unofficial offers (from the department DLSPH) and then it's up to the department of graduate studies to send out the official offer letters.

Hm, so shouldn't they have sent out all the rejections? I STILL have not heard a single thing. It's so tiring just waiting.

10 hours ago, Creme_Brulee said:

Hm, so shouldn't they have sent out all the rejections? I STILL have not heard a single thing. It's so tiring just waiting.

They usually don't send out rejections until the end by snail mail

6 hours ago, TJCM2017 said:

They usually don't send out rejections until the end by snail mail

Hm, I recall other people in this thread mentioning that they received rejections from U of T via email earlier on. I received my other rejections a few months ago.

10 hours ago, Creme_Brulee said:

Hm, I recall other people in this thread mentioning that they received rejections from U of T via email earlier on. I received my other rejections a few months ago.

Just call them.

15 hours ago, Creme_Brulee said:

Right, my mistake then. Maybe they have some sort of backup waitlist?? Try calling them

On 2017-06-18 at 3:38 AM, MP15 said:

Just call them.

On 2017-06-18 at 7:54 AM, TJCM2017 said:

Right, my mistake then. Maybe they have some sort of backup waitlist?? Try calling them

I gave them a call this morning. I've been waitlisted, but it seems rather unlikely that I could get in. :/ Good thing I accepted my other offer!

Hello!

So I have been accepted at U of T for the MPH in Health Promotion program. i received their email on May 2nd and got the official letter by May 25th, which had a fault in the end dates of the program (they said it would get over by DEC 2018). I raised a query and then got another letter in which the term period for the whole program was mentioned 2 years but the date of birth was absolutely wrong! So I again raised a query and then I finally received the final and correct letter with everything correctly printed in the first week of June. Hope none of you have to face this!

Also any news about Fees?

Edited by deva_indian

Hi guys! I was admitted into UofT's MPH Health Promo stream a while ago and I have decided to live downtown in September. I was hoping to find a roommate enrolled in Dalla Lana as well. I am a female looking for another female roommate to rent a condo downtown by the school. If you are interested please feel free to PM me! :) 

On 6/12/2017 at 9:02 AM, 12njt2 said:

I have revoked my acceptance to Queen's MPH as I accepted Epi at UoT, and was just waiting to hear back confirmation of my acceptance. So a spot should open up for Queen's! 

Hey! Just wondering what the process was for this for you? I emailed Gerri and she responded cc'ing the School of Graduate Studies for them to take care of it, but I never heard from them and my SGS status still says "offer accepted", so I'm a bit unsure if this was dealt with or not.

On 6/16/2017 at 11:36 PM, Creme_Brulee said:

Yeah, at this point if you haven't received a "offer" or "wait list" email I would assume the worst. I applied to this program last year and we didn't get rejection emails till June.

23 hours ago, Creme_Brulee said:

I gave them a call this morning. I've been waitlisted, but it seems rather unlikely that I could get in. :/ Good thing I accepted my other offer!

Did they make it seem like the chances are quite slim to make it out of the waitlist? Did they make any other comments about the waitlist itself or if they are planning to contact any others? And sorry, last question: did you receive any notification prior to your call from DLSPH's (Epi)? 

5 hours ago, blind_faith said:

Did they make it seem like the chances are quite slim to make it out of the waitlist? Did they make any other comments about the waitlist itself or if they are planning to contact any others? And sorry, last question: did you receive any notification prior to your call from DLSPH's (Epi)? 

Matilda apologized and said it's unlikely that I could get an offer now, despite being waitlisted. I asked why I hadn't heard a single thing from the department regarding my status and she had nothing to say. I'm guessing they just decided to not contact round 2 waitlisted students unless they could hand out an offer or a rejection. I asked where I was on the waitlist and she said she couldn't reveal that information. And nope, I hadn't heard a single thing since I applied in Jan. I kept trying to track someone down and I finally managed to get a hold of them on Monday.

Good luck to you. It's been a frustrating application cycle for me in regards to U of T Epi. The other programs I applied to seemed to handle it more smoothly.

On 2017-06-16 at 9:20 AM, monstera said:

Not sure about competitiveness, but I was just talking to a friend who did the program a few years ago, and she said it was just as easy to set up global health practica without being in the global health emphasis (she did two global health practica and did not do the emphasis). So even if you don't get in to the collaborative or didn't end up applying, you can still choose to focus on global health on your own. Not sure what other benefits there are to actually being in the collaborative program. My friend also mentioned that people she knew who did the emphasis did not ultimately find it that valuable, FWIW, but this was a few years ago and it seems like they're making some changes with the switch from emphasis to collaborative, so who knows.

Thanks so much for the information. I applied last minute, like sent in my application a couple minutes before the deadline. I hope offers come out soon so I can apply to another collaborative if I don't get in.

Hi guys! I was admitted into UofT's MPH Health Promo stream a while ago and I have decided to live downtown in September. I was hoping to find a roommate enrolled in Dalla Lana as well. I am a female looking for another female roommate to rent a condo downtown by the school. If you are interested please feel free to PM me!  

10 minutes ago, mloneill said:

So for anyone who got an offer from DLSPH and then received a rejection this morning it IS A MISTAKE. Take a deep breath. I spoke with Susan Bondy and they accidentally sent rejection emails to everyone...

Thank you! I called and emailed them in pure panic. Good to know someone got through!