MPH Canada Fall 2017

Shd90

Hi Everyone!

applied for MPH in Global Health to SFU and UAlberta. Did UofT but due to documents not coming in time, it was incomplete. 

My top choice is SFU but I'm so nervous as to when the letter (accept or reject) is going to come. 

If anyone has any advice, let me know!

My stats are: 3.0 gpa final 2 years at UofT, research assistant position in ids, a ton of NGO volunteering experience 

On 3/10/2017 at 9:38 PM, mphalberta said:

The only program I applied to is the U of A MPH program with a focus in health promotion. My application status on the applicant portal changed from "application submitted" to "under review". Ahhh I wonder how much longer the waiting game will be!

my application status changed to under review as well, hopefully we should hear back shortly!

24 minutes ago, pizza17 said:

my application status changed to under review as well, hopefully we should hear back shortly!

Hey! Was this on Bear Tracks or on ApplyGrad SOPAS site?

5 hours ago, anxiousss said:

Hey! Was this on Bear Tracks or on ApplyGrad SOPAS site?

The status update was on the "Portal Login" page not Bear Tracks. I didn't apply using the SOPHAS site, so not sure if you would see the same update there

Edited by pizza17

21 minutes ago, pizza17 said:

The status update was on the "Portal Login" page not Bear Tracks. I didn't apply using the SOPHAS site, so not sure if you would see the same update there

Mine says "Decision Pending" on Bear Tracks..

5 hours ago, EmPeeAych said:

Mine says "Decision Pending" on Bear Tracks..

Same here .

On 3/10/2017 at 3:44 PM, Tahnin said:

Yeah... Same here. 

It's tortuous on one's psych. 

Yes indeed, And Tahnin Are you and IMG? Im IMG so just wondering how many IMGs are there in this forum.

On 10/03/2017 at 8:49 AM, AC2900 said:

What do people here think of Ottawa?  I am from US where education system is super polarized (Community and state schools which aren't so good, private which are quite expensive) so when some say Ottawa is not a good school I wonder whether it is not a good school in the US-sense, or if people just mean not as good as Toronto/McGill.  I like the multidisciplinary research they do in the medical school at Ottawa and my friends will be living there too!

Lurker here. Thought to reply because I might have some insight. I went to high school in the US and undergraduate in Canada. I know what you mean by ranking, the top half of my graduating class in the US went to ivies or public ivies (Berkeley, etc.) the bottom half went to state school.

It doesn't work like that here.  Unless you're looking for your credential to be recognised internationally, then yeah go to McGill or UT. People in the US have heard of those two places. But if you're planning on just using your credential to get hired around Canada, then all the universities have similar 'cachet' because they all are pretty well equally hard to get in to at the graduate level. 

It would be interesting to see if any people on here agree, but the first job after your qualifying credential is much more related to the way people perceive you than what school you went to. When it comes to public health insight, I'd be slightly more likely to pay attention to a graduate from Western MPH that now works at WHO setting international guidelines than a McGill MPH that graduated and works general admin at their local hospital. This is my bias and I'm open to different viewpoints of course.

Edited by QYG3456

Thanks for encouragement QYG!  I'm mainly leaning to Ottawa, friends in area, like the research from the Feminist and Social Science people who collab with the health people.  My CV is already pretty good and I'm definitely not trying to come back to US anytime soon.

Does anyone have an idea as to when Memorial or McMaster comes out? 

Also, I can't find information about the deposit if I accept my offer to Queen's. Does anyone know how much this will be?

Yes, I also just received a letter of admission to UBC's MPH this morning.

I also was accepted to SFU (Population Health) and Queens.

I'd like to stay in Western Canada, so does anyone have any insight into SFU's vs UBC's programs?

(For others' info, I also applied to but haven't yet heard back from: UVic, Alberta, Sask, and Waterloo)

Edited by displaydisplay

Hi guys, 

I just got accepted for McMaster university. Recieved a personal email from the head of the program. Also got in to Waterloo last week. 

Good luck to everyone! 

1 minute ago, Barnmucker said:

Hi guys, 

I just got accepted for McMaster university. Recieved a personal email from the head of the program. Also got in to Waterloo last week. 

Good luck to everyone! 

Congrats! :) That's amazing 

6 minutes ago, Barnmucker said:

Hi guys, 

Good luck to everyone! 

@Barnmucker congrats! Are you accepting Waterloo or McMaster? I accepted my Waterloo spot today :) 

56 minutes ago, displaydisplay said:

Yes, I also just received a letter of admission to UBC's MPH this morning.

I also was accepted to SFU (Population Health) and Queens.

I'd like to stay in Western Canada, so does anyone have any insight into SFU's vs UBC's programs?

(For others' info, I also applied to but haven't yet heard back from: UVic, Alberta, Sask, and Waterloo)

Hey congrats! Did you receive an email from ubc or letter? And how long do they give you to accept or decline? Thanks! 

4 minutes ago, MPH-TK said:

Hey congrats! Did you receive an email from ubc or letter? And how long do they give you to accept or decline? Thanks! 

Thanks :)  An email; the official letter is simply a pdf on the My Applications link. 

Deadline for response is April 17. 

Hey everyone,

Like some of you, I'm a long time lerker, lol.

Just checked Waterloo's Quest and saw that I was offered admission today! Didn't get an email yet to see the letter.

I also applied to UofA and UofS and like many of you, no reply yet.

Congrats to everyone so far and fingers crossed for those who are waiting.