The best STS programs to apply to for 2017 intake

ruminator

Dear community,

I'm pursuing an MS in Information Studies right now, and looking forward to applying to PhD programs this Fall for the Fall 2017 intake. I'm really interested in studying the dynamics of pseudoscience, conspiracy theories, and in general how people absorb new knowledge. Talking with a few professors I've figured out that I'm basically looking at studying the values that the public uses as a filter to consume information. To be specific, I'm looking at studying the public understanding of science.

Now I have a very good PhD program in sight at a good university in the US. But I need to apply to at least two/three more programs to give myself fair odds. What programs would you all suggest in the US/Canada?

Bruce Lewenstein stand's out initially for the public understanding of science. He's at Cornell. Also, you might want to check out this list and this list.

The number is PhD-granting STS programs in North America is pretty limited. You're basically limited to ASU, Cornell, GIT, RPI, U. of Toronto, and York. There are other programs that offer concentations or certificates in STS, but do not have dedicated degrees. 

Have you considered looking into history of science programs? They might broaden the reach a bit.

Edited by Neist

Hi Neist,

Many thanks for your suggestions. History of Science does seem like a very nice field (I looked at the program at Toronto). But, by far, Bruce's work and the Comm department at Cornell seems to be a really good match to some of the ideas I have about my research.

I think I should really not be assigning a term (STS, or otherwise) to my (narrow enough) range of research interests. I'm making another thread to better state my interests!

Again, thanks a lot!

22 hours ago, ruminator said:

Hi Neist,

Many thanks for your suggestions. History of Science does seem like a very nice field (I looked at the program at Toronto). But, by far, Bruce's work and the Comm department at Cornell seems to be a really good match to some of the ideas I have about my research.

I think I should really not be assigning a term (STS, or otherwise) to my (narrow enough) range of research interests. I'm making another thread to better state my interests!

Again, thanks a lot!

No problem at all! I enjoy helping. :) 

Just a fair warning that the STS program at Cornell is exceptionally competitive. The yield of years vary, but I think they only accepted 2-3 people this year. None of the regulars from these boards got in. I imagine that the Communications department is probably easier to get into, but I'm not specifically positive on that point.

Good luck!

Edited by Neist

I am really interested in STS too. I am also looking for History and Sociology programs. My main interest is in the political economy and historical sociology of population health and medicine. I mainly approach this topic using a Marxist framework. Could anybody please recommend some program for this?