NYU SLP online program?

Interestingly, I requested info on this program about a month ago after seeing a Facebook ad for it.  Here is the link to the site: https://speech.steinhardt.nyu.edu/ - there an option to request info yourself right on the site.

I spoke with an advisor at this program, and I found out that unlike a lot of CSD programs where you apply the fall of your senior year, you must have already completed your undergrad to begin the application.  However, there are rolling admissions.  You can take it on a part time or full time basis, but you must be able to attend classes as they are being conducted, rather than at your own time.  You only need to go to New York for one four day weekend, where you complete the clinical requirement in an immersion format.  Then, you complete three externships in your community.

I cannot speak for whether or not it is competitive.  I've noticed a trend of online programs, especially those with spring or summer admissions, being somewhat less competitive than on-campus SLP programs with fall admissions.  This is a new program, so that makes it even harder to judge how competitive it will be.

It does seem very expensive compared to even other distance programs which are already expensive. My understanding is that it is synchronous, too. One of the biggest advantages to distance ed (for me) is being able to do things on your own time schedule. This would eliminate that advantage for me. 

On 6/28/2016 at 0:15 AM, kaylam3 said:

Interestingly, I requested info on this program about a month ago after seeing a Facebook ad for it.  Here is the link to the site: https://speech.steinhardt.nyu.edu/ - there an option to request info yourself right on the site.

I spoke with an advisor at this program, and I found out that unlike a lot of CSD programs where you apply the fall of your senior year, you must have already completed your undergrad to begin the application.  However, there are rolling admissions.  You can take it on a part time or full time basis, but you must be able to attend classes as they are being conducted, rather than at your own time.  You only need to go to New York for one four day weekend, where you complete the clinical requirement in an immersion format.  Then, you complete three externships in your community.

I cannot speak for whether or not it is competitive.  I've noticed a trend of online programs, especially those with spring or summer admissions, being somewhat less competitive than on-campus SLP programs with fall admissions.  This is a new program, so that makes it even harder to judge how competitive it will be.

Did you end up applying? I submitted my application just yesterday. Wondering if there were many applicants to the program.

• 9 months later...

On 4/18/2017 at 9:06 AM, 2TwoNKZ said:

Did anyone end up getting accepted and start the program?  I will be starting this coming fall and would love some reviews.

When I was considering, this facebook group was really helpful. It seems students are happy with the classes but frustrated with the administration - hope you can join / it helps!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/343412579327909/

17 hours ago, lacuna said:

When I was considering, this facebook group was really helpful. It seems students are happy with the classes but frustrated with the administration - hope you can join / it helps!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/343412579327909/

What cohort is this group for? I start in September. 

I must be a real Scorpio (private type) since I keep low social media profile and don't even have a Facebook! Just IG.

Do you recommend signing up for a Facebook account to join this group? I like the idea of chamraderie and getting to know my classmates. Is Facebook the only platform, besides the NYU affiliated, that students use to communicate and pass information?

30 minutes ago, 2bridges said:

I must be a real Scorpio (private type) since I keep low social media profile and don't even have a Facebook! Just IG.

Do you recommend signing up for a Facebook account to join this group? I like the idea of chamraderie and getting to know my classmates. Is Facebook the only platform, besides the NYU affiliated, that students use to communicate and pass information?

I don't have a Facebook either and I've been told that they use the Facebook group for roommate situations. 

On 4/25/2017 at 2:05 PM, 2bridges said:

I'm not sure if other things are used, but they do use this heavily. It isn't for a specific cohort at all, a lot of people seem to have different start dates. I would recommend enabling one for it.

On 4/25/2017 at 2:34 PM, kayyyyy_ said:

I don't have a Facebook either and I've been told that they use the Facebook group for roommate situations. 

it isn't used for just that, they use it to make study groups and talk about the classes and get help re: financial aid, choosing courses, etc.