Having Trouble Finding Grad Schools to Apply To: Sociology/Language

Hi,

So I stumbled on this website while desperately searching forums for answers to my dilemma, but a little bit about me first: I am a recent graduate with a double major in English (rhetoric) and Sociology with a 3.85 GPA. My interests have always been in the intersection between language and sociology, not so much sociolinguistics, but rather a sort of macrosociological approach to language and linguistics. This past semester before I graduated, I got to work one on one with a professor where we studied and read books on this topic, and it really just breathed life into me. I've never felt more passionate about a subject in my whole life, and it immediately had me wanting to go to grad school. However, in my research for applying to schools, I have come up rather unsuccessful as the subject matter feels rather uncharted in comparison to other subjects in sociology. If anyone has any school suggestions or professor suggestions, I would be more than happy to have them!

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi! My knowledge of this area is very scarce, so I can only offer a few vague hints. Sorry I can´t be more helpful.

Rather than sociolinguistics, your interests sound to me like they fit within the sociology of language subfield. You should look for a program with scholars in this area. Joshua Fishman would have been an ideal advisor to you, but he passed away last year. To further complicate matters, it seems that many people currently working in this area are not in Sociology departments, but in other disciplines like Anthropology. A lot of the most important work is also being done outside of the U.S., so you should be prepared to collaborate internationally (and maybe consider getting your Ph.D. - or doing part of it - overseas).