Laurier MSW - Preparing Application

mcvhb

Hello, I'm new to this site and I'm wondering if anyone has some wisdom to share.

In 2015 I graduated from Laurier with a 3-year General Arts degree, and now I'm returning Fall 2016 for one more year to upgrade to a 4 year Honours BA in combination. I want to be very intentional during this year to prepare my application for a MSW at Laurier. What would you suggest?

I haven't calculated my hours, but I'm volunteered for the past 10 years with various groups. I've been a camp councillor, youth community group leader, volunteered at the Ray of Hope community centre, Laurier's Peer Help Line, The Working Centre, as an equestrian therapy lesson volunteer and I spent a year living in an intentional community learning about relational leadership, then we travelled for a year working with youth ... but, I have a two/three year gap in my experience. In 2014, I was diagnosed with adrenal exhaustion and left Laurier, my job and spent my days resting. I was fully burnt out. Over the past two years I have learned more about holistic health and been on a healing journey. I've learned a lot from this experience 

I'm continuing to be as an equestrian therapy volunteer, but where else would you recommend? Are there some certificates I should also be getting during this year?

As I researched next steps and what jobs I was interested in, an MSW was always a requirement, but I'm open in terms of what area I specialize in. Part of the challenge I'm noticing is that on paper (my resume and degree) I don't think I look like I'd be suited for social work, but in person I've had many people suggest it. I have a high cultural and emotional intelligence, but you can't get a degree in that just yet.

I'd love to just hear your thoughts and suggestions. I'm open! Thanks so much.