How Does Undergraduate GPA Matter For PhD Application If You Have Master

mteng

Hello Guys,

I am mechanical engineering MSc student. My undergrad gpa is 2.68/4 and my master gpa is 3.79/4. I would like to apply for PhD in USA to modest universities (not top one)Do you think my master gpa will offset my undergraduate gpa if i get good scores from GRE,TOEFL and LOR etc. and what do you suggest me to which universities i should apply for ?(I also have two and half years job experience related to my field) 

Thanks

In my opinion, it may not matter as much if your classes in the master are of a higher level. For example: real analysis at the graduate level instead of undergrad real analysis. As long as they are more advanced classes and you did better, I think you should be ok. In my case, I took undergrad classes during my master and when applied for the PhD, they did not care about my undergrad education.

Edited by Karoku_valentine

Thanks you for your reply

I took grad course (only Msc and Phd) By the way, which grad schools i should apply for?i will be pleased to your suggestion.i'd like to apply for North Caroline State University as the top one on list and i will drop to university of texas san antonio,lehigh university.university of rhode island?What do you think?

On 7/1/2016 at 10:14 AM, mteng said:

Thanks you for your reply

I took grad course (only Msc and Phd) By the way, which grad schools i should apply for?i will be pleased to your suggestion.i'd like to apply for North Caroline State University as the top one on list and i will drop to university of texas san antonio,lehigh university.university of rhode island?What do you think?

I'm only a masters student currently so I can't answer your initial question (mainly depends on the total application), but I currently go to North Carolina State and my undergrad was at University of Texas at San Antonio. I think you will get into both of those schools pretty easily (they both accept a lot of fall students), but funding will depend on what professor you reach out too. What research are you interested in? Private message me if you want to know more about those schools. NCSU is far much better than UT-San Antonio in my opinion for Mechanical Engineering.