Conferences and Publications for my Resume

Hello, I'm applying to film and media PhD programs (to start Fall 2017). I have quite a few conference presentations on my resume but I am lacking in publications. I know I need to address this and I am now working on the publication side of things. In doing so I'm not sure I can present at a conference this year - due to the time it may detract from my publication pursuits, plus the PhD application process itself (its also more money as I am an independent scholar and have to fund myself). This means that when I submit my resume as part of my PhD application, while I may have an extra publication, it will show that I haven't presented work at a conference for just over a year. I wondered if this would look bad? Should I really try to present at another conference. I am planning to attend a conference on a specific topic that is very closely aligned with my research interests but not presenting.

Many thanks for any advice you can give.

Honestly, I wouldn't rush to get a publication out before the applications are due. It's unlikely you can get anything accepted between now and most December deadlines (usually you submit, are asked to revise, you resubmit, etc., which can take months). Publications don't make or break an application, especially in the humanities where they aren't the norm or even expected (even of those coming from MA programs). Instead, I would focus on preparing a strong application, including an amazing writing sample and SOP. If it happens that your writing sample is something you can also submit to a journal, great. But focusing on conferences or publications may mean your application isn't as strong as it could be.

Thanks for your help rising_star - I agree, I need to spend a considerable amount of time preparing a great SOP and writing sample. So it won't look bad that there will be a significant gap between my last conference and now? I have an opportunity to submit a conference proposal this year but I am worried about the time I will need to commit to this presentation.

Many thanks

Conference presentations aren't really that important in the grand scheme of things. Especially if you're only doing it because you're concerned about how your CV will work to others.