What schools look for when they look at research experience?

As an aspiring grad school applicant, it's common knowledge that research experience carries most of the weight of my package (and of course the LoRs). So what exactly do schools look for in students' experience? I most likely will apply to programs in organic chemistry in the future, yet research projects available at my school (a small college) aren't very much as interesting as larger Us (nothing as fancy as organometallics or enzyme-catalyzed reactions, for example). Would it hurt my chance to compete with kids from those schools who are more familiar with these cutting-edge areas?

Thanks so much for your input :D      

I think it's more important that you have a couple of years' worth of experience in 1 lab, and that you have demonstrated some independence and acquired good (field-appropriate) skills in the process. Your research doesn't have to be ground-breaking or super-trendy: you aren't really evaluated on the kind of research you do, just how well you do it. 

• 1 month later...

Agreed with the above. They are looking more at the fact that you have some experience in the lab. You will notice in grad school that some people will quit (I was surprised by the number). People have different expectations and needs and sometimes grad school doesn't fit these needs). Being a top academic student doesn't always translate into being a great scientist. Having experience in the lab shows a prospective school that you have some experience in the long, sometimes difficult journey you are about to embark on. Schools want students who will excel in the lab, undergraduate research is a great way to show that you have prepped for this journey. 

• 4 months later...
On 8/22/2016 at 3:56 AM, Mediocrity said:

Agreed with the above. They are looking more at the fact that you have some experience in the lab. You will notice in grad school that some people will quit (I was surprised by the number). People have different expectations and needs and sometimes grad school doesn't fit these needs). Being a top academic student doesn't always translate into being a great scientist. Having experience in the lab shows a prospective school that you have some experience in the long, sometimes difficult journey you are about to embark on. Schools want students who will excel in the lab, undergraduate research is a great way to show that you have prepped for this journey. 

Just curious, how many people quit (as a percentage)? I'm guessing around 30%? I have only met one person that quit a PhD in Australia but I'm sure there's a lot more that I haven't seen.

• I think one of the most important things schools look for is a demonstrated, in depth understanding of the science behind the project you are working on (so not just carrying out tasks), but knowledge of the field, the unanswered questions, the goals of your work, and the experimental approaches you are using and why. 
  • Also as someone mentioned previously, working "independently" and being able to drive a project/story (which includes coming up with ideas, things to test, making sense of your data, next steps). So if you have a first author, or second author paper from a masters, or post bac position this looks very good to grad schools (or even if you don't but have had your own project before). 
  • Other things include: experience with trouble shooting, designing assays, mastery of basic wet lab skills, data analysis, ability to disseminate information to others (talks, posters, etc.) 

Basically it looks better to be the scientist rather than the scientist's assistant. 

Do you have any nearby research universities that are better-known schools than your small college? You could reach out to professors there and see if they need any help in their labs. Successfully completing research at a variety of places with professors who may be better known shows that you are a go-getter, can complete research to a certain standard, and network professionally. This external professor who you would theoretically work for could also right you a letter of rec and connect you with other experts in the field. You might have to work for free, but some small colleges have stipend programs for unpaid internships and research opportunities.