Anyone starting applications/starting to look at applications for the season? I figured I would start a thread here. 

I'm planning on applying to Rhetoric programs (some in English departments and some in Comm departments). Tentative list: Comm Departments: UNC, Northwestern, Michigan State (WRAC), Georgia, Texas (Austin), South Carolina and Wake Forest. English Dept: Michigan, Ohio State, Miami of OH, UCDavis. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm applying this year to both Communication and Marketing programs, I'm still working with my tentative list but at least 3 UC campuses are on the list (SB, Davis and San Diego). 

• 4 weeks later...

Perusing this forum is stopping my face from melting off during GRE prep.  I'm applying to media studies/cultural journalism masters programs.  The list so far is

Definite: UT Austin- Media Studies, University of Oregon- Media Studies, NYU- Cultural Reporting and Criticism

Maybes: Syracuse- Arts and Cultural Journalism, USC- Cinema and Media Studies

This entire thing is incredibly daunting.  Can anybody recommend the best places to find information about programs after you've read literally every line on a program's website (visiting is not financially feasible)?

I agree, this entire process is extremely daunting.  I'm applying to interpersonal programs likely at: UCONN, West Virginia, Missouri, Southern Illinois, Denver, Wisconsin-Milwaukee.  

Any insight on any of these schools/programs?

• 1 month later...

Thank god for this thread!! I'm applying for Comm programs and need to narrow down my list... I've got nearly 20 schools.. my biggest fear is that I don't know which schools are out of my league based on my background. 

On 2016. 10. 3. at 11:25 AM, hnm1231 said:

I'm really thankful that this forum exists because it has calmed my nerves... if only for just a little bit. But it seems like this thread is very silent currently :(

Let's work on getting this thread more active!

So far, this thread shows how diverse Comm programs/ applicants are - rhetoric, marketing, and so on. I think that's what I've been having a hard time with in terms of choosing schools to apply to and trying to figure out if I'm aiming too high or not high enough.

I'm interested in rhetoric/ cultural studies and found some overlap with a few Ethnic Studies phd programs. (Diaspora, race, cultural identity type stuff)

Anyone else with similar interests? Also, would people be interested in sharing a bit of background and where they're at in the preparation process? I'm basically preparing on my own so would love feedback, but won't flood the forum with my life story of people think it's TMI :)

Oh and re: additional info on the school, @jansport, a few people have suggested that I contact some of the grad students. A lot of schools will at least have an email. Other then that, I've sent S.O.S messages to friends via social media asking for introductions. Thanks to the whole 6 degrees thing, I was able to talk to a recent grad from a program I was looking at.

Edited by DBear

Sorry for flooding this thread - quick question - 

Anyone know how reputable/ competitive the Comm program at U of Colorado, Boulder is? I really like the faculty's research fields but really have no idea if I have any chance of getting in... 

Im applying to the University of Denver's International and Intercultural communications program. Has anyone heard anything about this program? Its hard to find any info. 

Edited by wazzzup

On 2016. 10. 12. at 9:11 AM, hnm1231 said:

USC Annenberg has a different personal statement prompt than basically everywhere else I'm applying so I guess that livens up my life/increases my daily suffering! Where is everyone applying? Maybe we can share the struggle :)

I also noticed that they want the entire MA thesis uploaded?! I really hope I misunderstood this.. I'm really not that thrilled with how mine turned out

Oops to the above - I realized that NYU asks for the entire MA thesis - 

On 2016. 7. 4. at 10:32 AM, kirbs005 said:

Anyone starting applications/starting to look at applications for the season? I figured I would start a thread here. 

I'm planning on applying to Rhetoric programs (some in English departments and some in Comm departments). Tentative list: Comm Departments: UNC, Northwestern, Michigan State (WRAC), Georgia, Texas (Austin), South Carolina and Wake Forest. English Dept: Michigan, Ohio State, Miami of OH, UCDavis. 

I've narrowed down my list to 12 - I'm hoping to get it down further, but I may end up applying to all of them :( I'll probably go into debt doing so..

U Wisconsin-Madison, UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio State, U Iowa, U Illinois Urbana-Champaign, U Penn, Temple, Bowling Green, UC San Diego, NYU, U Mass Amherst, U Colorado Boulder

>> Any feedback on the list is welcome! I think I may be aiming too high. I wanted a good mix, but after looking at research areas, I ended up with this. 

@wazzzup I recall looking at that program at some point but don't know much about it. I've been looking at rankings at phds.org & NCA ratings.

FYI, I got a reply back from NYU MCC professor who was nice enough, but basically said that they out of 190 applicants last year, they only selected 5 so I should consider applying to multiple programs :(

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016. 7. 28. at 4:01 AM, Satynne said:

I'm applying this year to both Communication and Marketing programs, I'm still working with my tentative list but at least 3 UC campuses are on the list (SB, Davis and San Diego). 

I noticed that UC San Diego has two different deadlines posted, I've emailed them but no reply... have you seen that too by any chance?

9 hours ago, DBear said:

I noticed that UC San Diego has two different deadlines posted, I've emailed them but no reply... have you seen that too by any chance?

Wait what?  I have that for UC SD is December 15, did they change it?

One part of the website says Dec 15, another says Jan 13... I looked at the site so many times and now I'm not even sure I'm seeing it correctly :/ The FAQ had the Dec 15 deadline posted if I recall correctly

Screenshot_20161103-170315.png

Edited by DBear

On 10/17/2016 at 8:13 AM, DBear said:

Sorry for flooding this thread - quick question - 

Anyone know how reputable/ competitive the Comm program at U of Colorado, Boulder is? I really like the faculty's research fields but really have no idea if I have any chance of getting in... 

Hi @DBear! Boulder is extremely competitive to get into and is an excellent COM program. However, as always, it also depends on your interests/division whether or not it is the best program for you. For the past few years, though, they've only taken 3 or so PhD students - I'm not sure how many MA students they take, but I can't imagine it's much more. 

On 10/19/2016 at 8:53 AM, DBear said:

Oops to the above - I realized that NYU asks for the entire MA thesis - 

I've narrowed down my list to 12 - I'm hoping to get it down further, but I may end up applying to all of them :( I'll probably go into debt doing so..

U Wisconsin-Madison, UNC Chapel Hill, Ohio State, U Iowa, U Illinois Urbana-Champaign, U Penn, Temple, Bowling Green, UC San Diego, NYU, U Mass Amherst, U Colorado Boulder

>> Any feedback on the list is welcome! I think I may be aiming too high. I wanted a good mix, but after looking at research areas, I ended up with this. 

@wazzzup I recall looking at that program at some point but don't know much about it. I've been looking at rankings at phds.org & NCA ratings.

@DBearI just saw that you're looking at phds.org - keep in mind that a LOT of the information on this site is very old and not accurate anymore. 

@totallyuncreative Do you have any more specifics on the Boulder program that you'd be willing to share, especially if you are attending there? Specifically about how students are involved in faculty work and how plentiful opportunities for publishing are?

If anyone else has any information about their experiences with or applying for this program that would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Triangular

13 hours ago, totallyuncreative said:

Hi @DBear! Boulder is extremely competitive to get into and is an excellent COM program. However, as always, it also depends on your interests/division whether or not it is the best program for you. For the past few years, though, they've only taken 3 or so PhD students - I'm not sure how many MA students they take, but I can't imagine it's much more. 

Thanks so much, @totallyuncreative (which ironically is a totally creative handle) I've updated the list again and I've decided against Boulder :( I've got 9 schools left: 

U Penn, UNC Chapel Hill, U Madison- Wisconsin, UI Urbana Champaign (MA), U Iowa, Ohio U, U Mass Amherst, Temple. 

I feel like I'm reaching with most of these schools but they all have faculty I'd really like to work with so... I'm going to apply and see...

Thanks for the tip on phds.org - it did seem a bit off but really need somewhere to start so I whittled my way down from the 100 schools they had.  

So, it's already November and I'm thinking everyone's list of schools is close to done and the application process is  underway.. 

I was wondering how many programs people are applying to.... My list has shrunk to 8 and I don't know if I'm taking too big a risk with too few schools. 

I've been of the opinion that applying to fewer programs will allow me to put more work into my preparation, but then everyone around me applying for grad school (all in English, though) is applying to at least a dozen schools. 

I've got U Penn, Temple, U Illinois Urbana Champaign, U Wisconsin Madison, U Iowa, Ohio U, U Mass Amherst and Bowling Green on my list, and Bowling Green is hanging on by a thread... Apart from Urbana Champaign, I'll be applying for the phd program. Urbana Champaign won't let me apply for the phd program because my MA is in English.. 

This thread seems a bit quiet but I'll put this out there anyway... 

On 11/3/2016 at 0:05 AM, DBear said:

One part of the website says Dec 15, another says Jan 13... I looked at the site so many times and now I'm not even sure I'm seeing it correctly :/ The FAQ had the Dec 15 deadline posted if I recall correctly

Screenshot_20161103-170315.png

Yeah they had a December deadline :/

Anyone else applying with kinda average math GRE scores? :(   I have a good verbal score but quant is just not my thing...   Also, I'm really worried about reapplying to a program that rejected me last year, do you think it's even worth it to reapply to that program? :( 

Edited by coffeecupanalogy

17 hours ago, coffeecupanalogy said:

Anyone else applying with kinda average math GRE scores? :(   I have a good verbal score but quant is just not my thing...   Also, I'm really worried about reapplying to a program that rejected me last year, do you think it's even worth it to reapply to that program? :( 

My quant is terrible... Not even 40% on the concordance table. My undergrad GPA also is blech.... Surprisingly, the average GRE scores for some of the schools I've been looking at are not as high as I'd imagined and it really does look like they take the whole package into consideration...

I saw some discussions about reapplying elsewhere on gradcafe... Might be useful :)