Vanier CGS 2016-2017

LMK

Hello everyone!

I`m applying to Vanier CGS 2016-2017. Is there any other applicants here? If we could count with the help (some tips, guidelines, etc) of those who are already accepted that would be great.

Thanks!

Edited by LMK
Wrong spelling.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5 juillet 2016 at 0:59 PM, LMK said:

Hello everyone!

I`m applying to Vanier CGS 2016-2017. Is there any other applicants here? If we could count with the help (some tips, guidelines, etc) of those who are already accepted that would be great.

Thanks!

any updates?? how's it going?

Hey all,

First time applicant, and last chance to apply... Hoping for a good run! The previous Vanier threads were pretty informative, and I think contacting the individuals from the thread was a good start for me.

Really struggling with the CCV though... 

13 hours ago, kimchipapa said:

Hey all,

First time applicant, and last chance to apply... Hoping for a good run! The previous Vanier threads were pretty informative, and I think contacting the individuals from the thread was a good start for me.

Really struggling with the CCV though... 

what did you learn from the previous threads? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! 

I have a quick question for any of you who have already applied for Vanier. For the two referee letters, should one of the letters be from my new supervisor that I am just starting to work with (and who barely knows me...) or from two previous supervisors? It states in the guidelines that it can be from past supervisors... But then later on, it states that I have to explain why if my new supervisor is unable to provide a referee letter. I would love any input on this as soon as possible!

EDIT: this is disregarding the non-academic reference letter. I am talking about the two four-page referee letters.

Edited by Fossey

3 hours ago, Fossey said:

Hi everyone! 

I have a quick question for any of you who have already applied for Vanier. For the two referee letters, should one of the letters be from my new supervisor that I am just starting to work with (and who barely knows me...) or from two previous supervisors? It states in the guidelines that it can be from past supervisors... But then later on, it states that I have to explain why if my new supervisor is unable to provide a referee letter. I would love any input on this as soon as possible!

EDIT: this is disregarding the non-academic reference letter. I am talking about the two four-page referee letters.

I asked my new supervisor because it said so in the instructions (but maybe contact them?)

also how do you know this letter is four pages? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, Pacman312 said:

Hello Everyone,

Heard back from the department a couple of days back. They are nominating my application for Vanier! 

Let the wait games begin.

Your application was sent to the national competition you mean?

I think that's what they probably mean? The way it normally works is you submit to your institution and then they select which students to forward in order to fulfill their quota.

1 hour ago, Suri18 said:

I think that's what they probably mean? The way it normally works is you submit to your institution and then they select which students to forward in order to fulfill their quota.

yes, exactly!

On 10/31/2016 at 10:27 PM, PsychBoy said:

Your application was sent to the national competition you mean?

Yes. Sorry for the confusion. The University sent the application to the national competition for review.

Time to forget about the application until March!

Best of luck everyone!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to tell you that at this time last year I was a bit of a mess, and it really only got worse as it went along. The week of the results being issued was one of the worst. I actually had to host a study review tutorial during the hour I knew that the results were likely to come. I just wanted to know, one way or another. So just a note to say hang in there. I wish you the very best of luck and I hope that you find yourself frantically refreshing this page the way I did last year for news on the announcement date. I also hope its good news.

Congrats on the nominations. Just  making it out of your school and to the national competition is huge.

thanks @Lanie! I just got news today I didn't make it through to semi-finals for the Trudeau, so let's just say the agony surrounding the Vanier has become exponentially worse. How is it that a scholarship can be so all consuming?! It's been such a weird experience. I never thought it could have such a hold on me...  I know that there really isn't anything I can do but wait, but your words are really really helpful, so thank you :) 

• 1 month later...

I totally understand... I've just been doing my best to distract myself from the countdown process. Friends and family are wonderful distractions. That, and binge watching Netflix. I keep wishing I could take a 10-day long sleep.

@Adelaide9216 The Vanier has about 200 people competing for 56 spots for each of the agencies. The Trudeau gives out 15 for around 200 applicants and has some specific thematic criteria that can influence whether your proposal fits their vision - so, I'd say the Trudeau is harder to get (depending on your area of research).

@kimchipapa netflix, family, and friends sounds like the perfect way to distract yourself :) Good luck! Hope you get one