Engineering MS as a chem major?

emma512

Being a doctor has been something I've always aspired to be as I was growing up. I came into college as a biology major but found myself much more interested in problem solving based and math heavy classes instead of rote memorization so I switched over to a chemistry major and also have been taking extra math classes for the fun of it. I just took differential equations and physical chemistry last semester and absolutely loved them because it involved so much critical thinking, logic, and math. And I'm not too fond of the biology classes I've taken so far due to the amount of memorization.

I have done many extra curriculars to support my med school application and I am currently studying for the MCATs but recently I'm not too thrilled with the idea of going to medical school.
I've heard that medical school is a majority memorization and I've recently been looking into chemical engineering masters programs and it looks like a really good fit at the moment. If I were to do a chemical engineering MS i would have to take a couple remedial classes. By the time I graduate I'll have taken Physical 1 and 2, Calc 1-3, Differential Equations, Probability and Statistics, Linear Algebra, and possible a thermodynamics class. My gpa is a 3.56 (would be higher if I didn't get two C's in bio 1 and 2) Any suggestions, advice, or comments??

Edited by emma512

I am glad to see that you are thinking critically about your desire for medical school now, rather than after you have applied. The general rule of thumb is that if you're not that hot on the idea of doing a long-term program, you will have almost no chance of sticking with it once you get in. I'm sure there are exceptions, but you seem more tuned into engineering approaches than biological ones.

I am a chemE/bio double major, so I can speak to both sides of this. Engineering is more problem-solving oriented and requires a more robust understanding of quantitative disciplines, so you are right to be taking various maths. But the transition from science to eng (in this case Chem to ChemE) is about an entirely different way of thinking about the problems. If you are able to change your major/minor in an engineering discipline that would be helpful for your MS application. If that is not an option at your university, taking ChemE courses may be your best way to go. Mass/Energy balances (sometimes called ChemE calculations), thermo and fluid mechanics would all be helpful. But you will be competing against students who have also taken separations, heat and mass transfer, kinetics, transport, plant design etc., and mastered a lot of concepts with their capstone projects, so there will be a steep learning curve. I do research with a guy who got a BS in bio and is now a PhD candidate in ChemE. He needed quite a few courses at the beginning of his graduate studies to catch up. But if you're willing to do this, I think you would find the rewards to be well worth your investment. BTW, it's good that you love differential equations. They are everywhere in ChemE. Linear Algebra, not so much.

I would speak with your adviser and research the experiences other Chem students have had applying to ChemE grad programs (there are quite a few who have undertaken this path). Different graduate programs will expect different remedial work so look into that as well. 

Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Edited by Victorious Secret

It's great that you've already come to this conclusion as an undergrad.  

I almost went the bio/med route.  And, like you, I really missed the quantitative/problem solving.  I would suggest that you test out chemE (maybe an intro class) before committing to it.  While there is overlap, the approach and coursework are quite different.  From my experience, liking chemistry isn't a guarantee for enjoying chemE.  To me, material science/engineering is more of a sure bet (a cool mix of p-chem, inorganic and applied physics...but, I may be biased).  Good luck.