USC Online or ASU Online?

stan rae

Hi All,

I was hoping to get a little advice. I was accepted recently to both ASU and USC's online MSW programs. My goal is become an LCSW and eventually work in addiction treatment. I'm leaning towards USC as it has better name recognition and also places students in field practicums. ASU is far cheaper (about 1/3 the price) but students must find their own facilities to intern at while in the program. I also want to avoid the stigma of attending school online but need the flexibility so I can work and pay my living expenses during the program. I live in the LA area and USC's online degree is indistinguishable from the in-person degree. I feel like future employers would assume I attended on campus. If I go the ASU route, my internships will be in the LA area and it will be pretty clear I went to an online program. I also went to UCLA for my undergrad and like the idea of the UCLA/USC combo. USC is just absurdly expensive and I feel like most of what I learn will occur outside the classroom. Can I get any advice or recommendations?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had the same issues trying to decide between the two colleges, but has decided on USC because it is clincal based as well as great practicum placement. You are also correct about the reputation of USC being something that is noticed! What I am most hesitant about is the cost it's crazy expensive, but because if the Avatar program you get hours of one on one practice. 

Let me know what you decide