Hi all,

I am really impressed with this forum and all the info it provides. It is my strong desire to pursue a career in Speech- Language Pathology however, I don't have a SLP background, my undergraduate degree is in Mass Communication, can anyone advise which universities are best (and affordable) to apply for a transitional program to complete the prerequisites needed to do the Masters in SLP? Thanks in advance.

Edited by La Faine
grammatical errors

I am also applying for programs as an out-of-field applicant. Another forum member showed me this thread, which I found helpful (but keep in mind that this list was made in 2013):

Sorry, I must not have read your post fully! The link I provided is a list of "leveling tracks," which integrate most prerequisites into the master's program. I am not sure of the most affordable prereq options, but most schools that offer master's degrees also offer 1-year post-bacc programs. I have heard that it is cheaper to take prerequisites on your own though, rather than entering a post-bacc program.

Good luck!

I was an out of field applicant, and am now in a program that admits me as an 'extended masters student' and allows me to complete prerequisites for one year and then spend the next two years as a graduate student. Some of the other people in my program are also completing some of their ASHA prereqs in their summers or winter breaks (so they didn't need them to get into the program, they just have to be done with them before we graduate, super doable). 

Are you set on doing a post-bacc or are you looking into being admitted as an out of field applicant? 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate the feedback. I will definitely use the information provided to make my decision.