failed math class

pecmsyx

I am applying for doctoral program in Statistics this fall. I got a D in a pretty important math class, this was really unexpected and I am really worried that it would jeopardize my application. I know that GPA is very important even this is not a stat class and doesn't count towards my major GPA. I am taking this class again before submitting my application and I am confident that I will get a much much better grade this time. I would really appreciate it if someone could explain to me how much this is going to affect chances especially with top programs? I really really appreciate your help!

I'm not in stats, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I believe performance in real analysis is used in stats applications to gauge how much rigor you can handle. Getting a D is definitely not good. Be sure to work really hard to show a lot of improvement the second time around - two poor performances in the class could really hurt you for some programs. 

3 hours ago, MathCat said:

I'm not in stats, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I believe performance in real analysis is used in stats applications to gauge how much rigor you can handle. Getting a D is definitely not good. Be sure to work really hard to show a lot of improvement the second time around - two poor performances in the class could really hurt you for some programs. 

Hi, thanks for the advice~  I am confident that I will get an A the second time. However, I am curious how much this one bad grade will hurt me assuming I do well the second time, especially with top programs like Stanford, UW and Harvard. Thanks for your help!

It definitely is not a positive thing, but if you improve significantly upon retaking it, I don't think it will ruin your application if you are otherwise competitive for these programs. A lot will depend on letters of reference too.

Edited by MathCat