breaking into social policy research--second graduate degree?

Not sure if this  is the right thread! Sorry!

So i'm in a bit of a funny situation--US citizen with an English degree from the states, and a comp lit MA from UCL. I've been in the UK since my MA, am currently on a work visa doing professional/business development with nonprofits. I was initially planning to go home and take up a PhD offer in the humanities, but the 1.5 years in industry have led me to the epiphany that I'm actually more interested in social policy research/ NGO policy and think tanks and NOT academia for academia's sake. I realise this is a far departure from my current qualifications and I think the best way "in" might be a social policy degree, or something of that ilk? This is primarily due to my lack of experience in/ability to work with stats, qualitative or quantitative data and analysis.

I am a bit worried about having two post graduate degrees because this could make me look a bit aimless, but the desire for another is genuine.

Is this really the right move to get into this line of work? 

As far as the course goes, I am looking at LSE's MSc in Social Policy (Research) --though I know it might be a bit strange to have two international graduate degrees. Still quicker and cheaper than getting one in the US. Money isn't a problem either--I am resigned to taking out a loan no matter where i choose. ( I haven't had to for either of my other degrees so it's not a massive problem).

Open to any other suggestions though! 

Thanks in advance for any input!

Hi there!  Your background seems very similar to mine.  I also had a UK master's in the humanities before pursuing a policy degree (MPA) at Syracuse.

1. As far as I am aware, having the MPA did not make me look aimless.  The only real downside is the cost and the time spent getting the degree.  Otherwise, it really helped to focus my career and qualify me for a research-focused position in local government.  The fact that Syracuse has a huge network in the US did help me get my job (I connected with Syracuse alumni in my office when I applied)

2. From what I understand, think tanks do not tend to pay very well and there is often not a lot of growth potential.  They are great for people straight out of college, but then many people tend move on to places with more growth potential such as government or consulting.  Many of the people who do progress have Ph.D,'s.  Bear that in mind when thinking about how to translate your degree into a career, particularly if you are taking on debt.  

3. It may be worthwhile to look into a more broad-based degree such as an MPP/MPA that will give you the quant background, but will give you more options during your job search than a specific social policy degree.  Many MPP/MPA programs offer social policy concentrations/electives.

If you want to do policy research whether in gov't/NGO or think tank, you need the appropriate degree (MPA/MPP here, MSc in UK). That is the baseline qualification for full-time research associates in these organizations, at least in the US. No idea about the UK. You will not be "aimless" because you'd be pursuing a professional degree with a professional goal in mind. That is good!

A research MSc from LSE will translate well in the US. Everybody who knows anything about anything will know about LSE. However, there are better options in the US if you're 1000% sure about social policy studies. I studied abroad at LSE and it's basically an economics/accounting school with other departments attached. The upside of the research MSc is that you will actually learn research...most MPA/MPP programs in the US are not so intent on teaching methods.

Either option works wonderfully! (Hint: come back to the US! It's better here. The extra year of school is fun :P) Or go to LSE and take your research seriously, pick a relevant topic that's not stuck up some ivory tower ass because employers like that touch to policy-oriented research, which sounds like is what you're after anyway.

Edited by MD guy

I'd like to put in a word about quantitative experience in an MPA/MPP degree. When I started, I found that many people in my cohort, like me, had been scarred by math and hard science in high school and college. Years later, I expected to be bad at econ/stats, but had resigned myself to learning some as a part of the degree. To my surprise, I found that the math was not complicated (mostly algebra, a little calculus), and that it was above all finally relevant to something I was interested in (unlike the misery of trigonometry!). More to the point, because we were doing a graduate degree, most people had not taken econ/stats while we were in college, and were encountering it for what seemed like the first time. We all did fine, and I at least came out with a genuine appreciation for quantitative analysis. I'm now in a job where that understanding is very useful! So lack of experience in quant isn't a bad thing or even a new thing for people looking into an MPA/MPP degree, and certainly, lack of ability can be changed too. Don't count yourself out before you really apply yourself!