Need a little help with my SOP Application for MSc Petroleum Engineering

Some of the fundamental questions constantly asked by engineers include how do things work, why do they do what they do, and how to make things better. Ever since I can remember, I have always enjoyed making things, interacting with people and learning about the world. As I have grown older, I have realised I am constantly asking myself the same questions, and this is one of the reasons I have decided to study towards a chemical engineering degree at the University of AAA. To realise my life-long goal of becoming a professional petroleum engineer, I hope to be considered for a place on the MSc Petroleum Engineering Programme at the University of xxxx.

My interest in this area was first aroused during my undergraduate studies where I sought out every opportunity that I could lay my hands on to learn about the role of chemical engineers in the oil and gas industry. Studying Introduction to petroleum engineering module gave me a strong foundation of the field of petroleum production and a systemic understanding of the surface operations. Furthermore, Refinery and Petrochemical Production module has given me a comprehensive understanding of steps, technologies and economics that comprise a modern refinery and the immediate downstream petrochemical processing complex. In both of these modules, I have managed to maintain very high marks (90% and 70% respectively) and earned the respect of my professors and colleagues. My initial interest was further propelled after visiting Offshore Europe 2015 in Aberdeen where the theme of the conference was: inspiring and encouraging next generation of talent into the industry to secure future success. Together with the sheer amount of innovations and technologies displayed in the exhibition, have both reinforced my intense interest for the industry.

Nothing excites me more than the thought of focusing my energy on topics like Reservoir Simulation, Well Testing and Completion Technologies and Enhanced Oil Recovery which will all broaden my knowledge and understanding of the topic as a whole. I am particularly keen to study at the school of engineering in the University of xxxx because it is the only School of General Engineering in USA, making it a unique place for postgraduate student to gain insight across the whole range of oil and gas industry. The university’s enviable international reputation across it is research portfolio together with its strong tradition of success attracts such a variety of students and I believe it will be a stimulating environment in which to study at master’s level. XXXX University also provides excellent working and recreational facilities for graduate students which demonstrates your commitment to the graduate student body.

My fascination with the richness in the field of petroleum engineering has encouraged me to join the Society of Petroleum Engineers and IChemE’s special interest group for oil and gas to learn more about the technical knowledge concerning the exploration, development and production of oil and gas resources. I want to be part of new age where petroleum engineers are at the forefront constantly pushing boundaries of technology to solve today’s toughest operational and commercial challenges. And joining your highly-esteemed programme and working with the guidance of your devoted faculty will give me the necessary tools to realise my life-long of becoming a professional petroleum engineer.