Hi, 

I am currently a Biochem major, my GPA is below a 3.0 due to a messy third year due to lack of ambition, and terrible study habits :( I made stupid choices in my third year which I completely regret. I am going to my fifth year now, I have done a lot of research on what I want to do, and have bettered my study habits a lot. I really want to pursue a master's in SLP and its something I gave a lot of thought. I plan on graduating after my fifth year and then coming back and boosting my GPA and then applying. I know that grad schools in Canada are really competitive, but this is something I really want to do

Could someone give me some advice, or did anyone have a similar experience? I want to hopefully boost my GPA and then apply but I feel a little uncertain, are my chances of getting in really slim?

I know I said Canada in the title but information about SLP in America is also appreciated! (I'm doing my own research but still would like to hear from everyone)

I am doing my thesis soon and continue volunteering at my local hospital. For speech pathologist (or even audiology, since I'm interested in finding out) what kind of letter of recommendation do you guys get? Would an LOR from a Biochem or bio prof be irrelevant in this field? Any advice is really appreciated, please please help me!!

Edited by Okkookie

I have a similar background. BioChem major that graduated with a bad GPA (overall less than 3.0; sub-GPA at the time was 3.2ish). My stats from this previous application season can be seen here. I would recommend getting that sub-GPA as high as possible, like above 3.7, along with acing all your prereqs. Even if your other stats are competitive, a low GPA can hold back your application.

You have to get your stats to the same competitive level as everyone else and you will be starting at a deficit. Depending on what you need, it may take a few years of nonstop upgrading and application building. From my own experience, the journey was exhausting, difficult, and uncertain. However, every bit was worth it; even if I didn't get into an MSc-SLP program, the journey has opened up other academic/career opportunities.

Look for professors or clinicians who can speak strongly about your academic, professional and/or clinical skills. Each school has slightly different requirements. Build up your network as you upgrade and volunteer so you can have a bit of choice.

Reach out to your professors. Be vocal of your goals and the academic/professional experiences that you desire. They may be able to connect you to the opportunities that you are searching for. Good luck!