Benefits to applying early?

vnatch

I am entering my senior year of college, and will be applying to PhD programs in molecular biology this fall. All of my applications open in late August/early September and are due around the beginning of December. My question is, is there any substantial benefit to applying early to these programs? I know for med school all of the applications are rolling, so the earlier you apply the better chance you have of getting accepted. I haven't heard much about rolling admissions for grad school apps, but I have heard some people say that it is generally better to apply earlier than later.

The main reason for my concern is that I currently have no publications to include in my application, but I am hoping to have something in the works by the early fall. Obviously being able to include this would help my chances and strengthen my application, so do you think it's worth waiting until the end of October or even beginning of November to do my applications?

From the admissions side, if it's not a rolling applications department, the time of your application makes no difference as long as it's on time. So no need to feel rushed to get your application in early.

There could be personal benefits to applying early. Some people like getting stuff out of the way so they can think about other things, for example. If this is a benefit for you, then do that. Otherwise, I would complete the application whenever I have time but probably wait until I'm sure nothing will change before submitting. Since I don't like to submit on the day of the deadline (in case something goes wrong!) I mostly submitted 24-48 hours before the deadline.

I took the GRE and wrote my SOP during the summer before my senior year. That made the application process much easier. 

Your LORs probably won't be submitted until closer to the deadlines, so submitting your application early will not make a difference. Anyway, admissions committees meet when all applications are submitted. 

Pro tip: tell the people writing your LORs that the letters are due a week before the actual due date. Also, give your letter writers at most three weeks to write. 

There are some programs in molecular biology that have rolling admission. The only one I remember for sure is Albert Einstein's Biomedical Sciences program. So you can definitely have a potentially big advantage if you submit a reasonably competitive application early. However, most of the top programs do not even look at your applications until after the deadline.

But being well prepared with your materials in advance and having time to revise and perfect your application can be invaluable! Also, applying for the NSF GRFP is kind of like an early grad school application that can also help you be prepared for the actual application process.

Good luck!

No advantages per se, but it is good to contact the program managers/coordinators early on. It can pay real dividends later on in the process, especially at smaller programs.

The admission committee will probably begin meeting in early January, so no decision will be made before then. However, I know some schools waive the application fee if you apply before certain date. 

On 7/17/2016 at 7:11 PM, MusMusculus said:

There are some programs in molecular biology that have rolling admission. The only one I remember for sure is Albert Einstein's Biomedical Sciences program.

We're not rolling admissions... I take that back. Sorry, I was up until 2am doing a Western :(

Edited by kimmibeans